Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How can teacher become citizen of canada

How can teacher become citizen of canada

Old May 8th 2012, 1:05 am
Just Joined

physicsteacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can teacher become citizen of canada

Hi everyone,

im a uk physics teacher thinking of emigrating to Canada. Is it possible for me to move their and eventually become a citizen? I know i cant move there through the skills option but is there any other way people would recommend for a teacher?

Assuming I could get a job in an independent school(I know is not great place to start but an aquaintance got a job as a primary teacher) and get a temporary work visa. Is it possible for me to change that to a permanent visa after being their for a number of years and then change to citizenship a number of years after that?

Or is PNP a serious option for a Physics teacher? Id happily move to any of the provinces.

Is there another option?

Please be honest if you think theres no chance.

regards

Mark
Old May 8th 2012, 2:03 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can teacher become citizen of canada

Originally Posted by physicsteacher
Hi everyone,

im a uk physics teacher thinking of emigrating to Canada. Is it possible for me to move their and eventually become a citizen? I know i cant move there through the skills option but is there any other way people would recommend for a teacher?

Assuming I could get a job in an independent school(I know is not great place to start but an aquaintance got a job as a primary teacher) and get a temporary work visa. Is it possible for me to change that to a permanent visa after being their for a number of years and then change to citizenship a number of years after that?

Or is PNP a serious option for a Physics teacher? Id happily move to any of the provinces.

Is there another option?

Please be honest if you think theres no chance.

regards

Mark
Anyone with PR and the requisite residency can become a citizen of Canada (well almost everyone).

Chances of getting PR or any other permit for that matter as a teacher, are slim to none, even teachers here are having a tough time getting a job. Find a plan b, other skills you may have or if young enough a WHV.

I should figure out how to become a PR before being concerned about being a citizen.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice
Unhappy Re: How can teacher become citizen of canada

Hi everyone,

Putting aside the difficulties of teachers finding work in Canada (seriously, it's terrible), if you can get Temporary Work Permits for any job to stay here for 2 years, you will likely be eligible for PR under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

On the subject of the CEC, you might want to look at studying something post-grad in Canada instead (save hard, pick a cheap school in a cheap province, don't study pri/sec teaching), and using that as a path to the CEC.

In your field, PNP is only an option for qualified and experienced Special Needs Teachers. 67% of teaching graduates in Canada can't find full time work. A good friend in Ontario has a teaching degree and is working as a dog groomer (she loves it, but still..). Another friend in Alberta is working in Oil and Gas instead.

Good luck
Old May 8th 2012, 7:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duckman
Putting aside the difficulties of teachers finding work in Canada (seriously, it's terrible), if you can get Temporary Work Permits for any job to stay here for 2 years, you will likely be eligible for PR under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
Yes, but if the OP were working in Canada on a TWP, they could apply for PR as a FSW straight away, so not sure why they'd wait 2 years?

In any event, as has been pointed out OP, it's highly unlikely you'll get a job offer as a teacher - would an employer want to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring you with so many Canadian teachers they can hire instantly?. Have a read of this for more info - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada
Old May 8th 2012, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but if the OP were working in Canada on a TWP, they could apply for PR as a FSW straight away, so not sure why they'd wait 2 years?

In any event, as has been pointed out OP, it's highly unlikely you'll get a job offer as a teacher - would an employer want to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring you with so many Canadian teachers they can hire instantly?. Have a read of this for more info - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada
Did you mean the trucking link or the teaching one?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siphorous
Did you mean the trucking link or the teaching one?
Ah. Well, I thought I'd put the trucking one in just in case the OP does a bit of that on the weekends. Ahem.

This one might be useful too though. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

Old May 8th 2012, 4:14 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

I just dropped out of a PGDE course in Scotland as a Physics teacher, there was an abundance of Canadians on the course there too (admittedly not doing Physics). Given that Canadians are even doing teacher training abroad I can't help but think the marketplace for teachers is definitely packed.

Last edited by BTJ; May 8th 2012 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

thanks for your quick responses everyone. I really appreciate it.

Assuming i had a firm job offer and my paper work would be sorted for TWP. What are the chances of me getting PR by CEC if the rules dont change? Would it be a formality? Or 50 a 50? or....

The reason i think i might have a chance is because of the Physics and the fact i work in a very prestigious international school. The reputation of the school might give me an edge, especially if i apply to an international/private school. International schools tend to employ expats to enhance international experience.

regards

mark
Old May 9th 2012, 1:38 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

But if a single Canadian is qualified and willing to do the job then you will not get an LMO and TWP. With regard to getting PR though - if you meet the requirements of the program, you get the PR.

...unless of course too many people apply, the waiting times get too long and the Minister decides to cancel applications en masse.

Also CEC is not the route you'd need to take, as most skilled TWP holders are qualified to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program.

Last edited by BTJ; May 9th 2012 at 1:40 am.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Sorry BTJ bit unsure over what you mean by

Originally Posted by BTJ
But if a single With regard to getting PR though - if you meet the requirements of the program, you get the PR.
Are you saying i will only get PR if i meet the inital PR requirements anyway, so TWP wouldnt matter?

When you say "Also CEC is not the route you'd need to take" Is that route i couldnt take or the PR would be better.

regards

Mark
Old May 10th 2012, 12:24 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a TWP isn't just a matter of what the school wants, it's also whether there's canadians who could do the job. the school would have to prove to the government that there were no canadians who are physics teachers who could do what you do to get you a twp.
Old May 10th 2012, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Sorry BTJ bit unsure over what you mean by

Are you saying i will only get PR if i meet the inital PR requirements anyway, so TWP wouldnt matter?

When you say "Also CEC is not the route you'd need to take" Is that route i couldnt take or the PR would be better.

regards

Mark
Having an approved LMO/Job Offer means you can still apply as a FSW straight away, which is quicker than CEC. I forgot about that, oops! However, given how difficult it is for Canadian teachers to find work, CEC would be the most likely way for you, after studying at a Canadian university and getting a job here.

Or you could try what some other people talking about - taking advantage of a labor shortage in Alberta, finding companies who have pre-approved open LMOs and are willing to train you. But you'll probably have to take a long shot and fly over and meet people face to face first.

Or retrain and get new experience in the UK then try TWP/FSW in a new career, maybe one of the self employed options. There's lots of options, and without knowing lots of stuff about you (age, background, financial and marital situation, etc), it's hard to know which to suggest.
Old May 10th 2012, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Hi,

thanks again for your help.

The reason been so stubborn with applying as a teacher is because of my international school experience. In most countries international schools have a 80% expat to 20 % local staff hire. And being on the international scene a physics teacher can normally work where they want in the world. Also heard were some physics teacher shortages in canada.

Does anyone know any Physics teachers in Canada? Is the shortage getting bigger? Is there no shortage? I might wait a few years and see if physics teacher goes on the list FSW if that was the case.

regards

Mark
Old May 10th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Hi,

thanks again for your help.

The reason been so stubborn with applying as a teacher is because of my international school experience. In most countries international schools have a 80% expat to 20 % local staff hire. And being on the international scene a physics teacher can normally work where they want in the world. Also heard were some physics teacher shortages in canada.

Does anyone know any Physics teachers in Canada? Is the shortage getting bigger? Is there no shortage? I might wait a few years and see if physics teacher goes on the list FSW if that was the case.

regards

Mark

It's a non-starter. We have been looking at this issue for 2 years now. My husband is a chemistry/physics teacher, and there are NO jobs in canada for him and he will have PR when we move back.
Statistically, I have read that the chances of someone international finding a contract teaching job (not full time) was something like 1 in 9. I am canadian, and most of my friends, have all graduated from post secondary school with the idea of teaching. That idea has only ever amounted to a pipe dream. Each year, the government allows too many people to graduate from teachers college, and basically, they have enough teachers (in ontario for sure) to last something like 15 years, with the backlog of waiting graduates they already have.
My husband also went to private school, and has a fantastic education, but unlike britian, in canada, it doesn't count for much.
If I were you, I would retrain to do something else if you want to come over to canada.
Old May 10th 2012, 6:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The reason been so stubborn with applying as a teacher is because of my international school experience. In most countries international schools have a 80% expat to 20 % local staff hire.
Most countries may do, but Canada is different - as has been said above, your potential employer would have to get a LMO to employ you.

For the LMO they must prove that they have advertised the job all across Canada, and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able to do the job. So as has been pointed out above, even if only one Canadian teacher applies for the job, the LMO won't be granted - and realistically, with so many Canadian teachers out of work, there will be a lot more Canadian applicants than that!

There is no shortage, not sure where you've heard that there is? Teachers have never been on 'the list', or even on the 'occupations under pressure' lists for the provinces that preceeded the FSW list and were used for LMO applications.

Definitely give it a try, but you might just want to have a 'Plan B'. Do you have a spouse and if so, would they have a better shot at a visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.