Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:25 pm   #1
Jordyt 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Jordyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

I’ve applied for my PR inland, should I risk going back to the UK for Christmas or wait till after I’ve recieved my PR. My husband is sponsoring me. I really want to go home for Christmas but would I be risking not being allowed back in?
Jordyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:54 am   #2
BE Forum Addict
 
Snowy560's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,627
Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

No one can possibly answer your Q with 100% surety. We are not the decision makers: CBSA will be. People can say: "it's likely that ..." or "you'll be okay if you do xyz ..." but the bottom line is no one can be sure.

What is likely is that by not leaving until your become a PR you reduce your risk of something going wrong because the Spouse/Common Law Partner IN Canada Class is for those applicants living in Canada with their spouse/CLP.

That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 6th 2017 at 12:57 am.
Snowy560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:19 am   #3
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 117
CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

If you hold a work or study permit, then your 99% likely to be fine re-entering Canada, if you don't I wouldn't risk it.
CanadianSpruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:35 am   #4
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyt View Post
I’ve applied for my PR inland, should I risk going back to the UK for Christmas or wait till after I’ve recieved my PR. My husband is sponsoring me. I really want to go home for Christmas but would I be risking not being allowed back in?
I'm in same situation. Submitted application inland this week, returning for Christmas to the UK. It's unlikely I'll receive OWP before I travel.
Will_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:19 pm   #5
Jordyt 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Jordyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_PA View Post
I'm in same situation. Submitted application inland this week, returning for Christmas to the UK. It's unlikely I'll receive OWP before I travel.
I also applied for an owp too. So I could work whilst my PR is being processed but don’t I don’t think I’ll get it before Christmas. I read it can take up to 4 months which is ridiculous. Shouldn’t it be faster, I thought the idea of it was so you could work whilst PR is being processed. What’s the point of it if it takes so long?
Jordyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:35 pm   #6
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyt View Post
I also applied for an owp too. So I could work whilst my PR is being processed but don’t I don’t think I’ll get it before Christmas. I read it can take up to 4 months which is ridiculous. Shouldn’t it be faster, I thought the idea of it was so you could work whilst PR is being processed. What’s the point of it if it takes so long?
Well, inland applications used to take 2-3 years, so OWP was designed to mitigate this, I believe.

They have to carry out some checks to make sure your application is likely to be successful before handing our OWPs I guess.

I know it's a small risk that you won't be allowed back in if you leave, but this risk is so small that personally I'm going home for xmas! I'd be less of a "visitor" if I didn't feel the pull of seeing family back in the UK at xmas time...
Will_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:42 pm   #7
Jordyt 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Jordyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_PA View Post
Well, inland applications used to take 2-3 years, so OWP was designed to mitigate this, I believe.

They have to carry out some checks to make sure your application is likely to be successful before handing our OWPs I guess.

I know it's a small risk that you won't be allowed back in if you leave, but this risk is so small that personally I'm going home for xmas! I'd be less of a "visitor" if I didn't feel the pull of seeing family back in the UK at xmas time...
Thanks Will. When you return after Christmas will you be coming back with a return ticket or not? I really want to go home at Christmas I’ve been here since July but I’m not sure how big the risk is. I’d only be going home for 4 weeks.
Jordyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:53 pm   #8
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 14,735
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

If an Inland Spousal application has been submitted perhaps you might want to take proof of that and what stage it is at. A copy of any work permit also I would leave the original at home less it gets lost.

If here on visitor status or dual intent yes you could be refused entry but TBH if you are forthcoming if asked questions it shouldn't be a problem unless no application has been submitted. Chances are those on visitor status or dual intent were issued visitor records which would still be valid. CBSA wouldn't require a return ticket in those cases but the airline is a different matter.
Former Lancastrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:54 pm   #9
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyt View Post
Thanks Will. When you return after Christmas will you be coming back with a return ticket or not? I really want to go home at Christmas I’ve been here since July but I’m not sure how big the risk is. I’d only be going home for 4 weeks.
Good question. I was thinking about that this morning. I'll probably get a return ticket just to be safe... The only cheap singles are AirTransat and WestJet I believe - BA / AC are more expensive single than return. I'd rather fly BA / AC anyway, so maybe a return in the summer or something, which could then be moved if nec.

Also I've seen advice that longer than 3 weeks away makes it look like you aren't in Canada for your inland app - not sure when this would be flagged up (unless they ask for more info / x-check your movements with CBSA). I'd not book longer than 3 weeks away because of this, though.
Will_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:57 pm   #10
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
If an Inland Spousal application has been submitted perhaps you might want to take proof of that and what stage it is at. A copy of any work permit also I would leave the original at home less it gets lost.

If here on visitor status or dual intent yes you could be refused entry but TBH if you are forthcoming if asked questions it shouldn't be a problem unless no application has been submitted. Chances are those on visitor status or dual intent were issued visitor records which would still be valid. CBSA wouldn't require a return ticket in those cases but the airline is a different matter.
^ what this gentleman says (he's CBSA!)
Will_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:50 pm   #11
PMM 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,387
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home for Christmas whilst PR is processed?

Hi


Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_PA View Post
^ what this gentleman says (he's CBSA!)
1. Depending on when the OP entered Canada, should check to see that has a valid ETA : Check your application status
__________________
PMM
PMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada / Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com