Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Home Carer looking at options in Canada

Home Carer looking at options in Canada

Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Simplekat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Carer looking at options in Canada

Hi there,

My name is Darren. I'm 21 and I've recently began a job in home care.

I've always loved Canada but more so the idea of living there. I was looking after my mother for a few years before getting the full-time job. I've now figured that it could actually help my other dream become a reality.

My question is really what the chances or forecast for social work/care work jobs over the next few years? Also, are care workers in demand in Canada?

I took a look at the in-demand job list and Social Workers are ranked 22nd. However, I aren't sure if this is separate to Home care workers. If possible, could anyone who has made this move, working in the same job (or as similar as possible) give me some pointers or tips on this? NVQ level 1 is necessary and I'll be doing my level 2 & 3 within the next 3 years.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Darren

EDIT: I forgot to mention a specific area for where I'd be looking to live/work. My first choice would be Newfoundland & Labrador (NFLD.)
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Carer looking at options in Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Where have you seen this list of in-demand jobs? I've not heard of that. But in any event, Social Worker are a specific occupation (in Canada you'd require a degree in Social Work and I believe a masters to become one), which aren't the same thing as live in caregivers.

Unfortunately, your job isn't one that would lead to a visa usually, but you do have the huge advantage of being eligible for IEC, which would get you a 2 year open work permit. That's going to be your quickest and easiest way over by a mile.

Your NVQ's (any level) won't be recognised or of any use in Canada. Is there any way you could switch and do a degree instead of your next two NVQ levels?

Out of interest, why Newfoundland? Do you have family there?

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Where have you seen this list of in-demand jobs? I've not heard of that. But in any event, Social Worker are a specific occupation (in Canada you'd require a degree in Social Work and I believe a masters to become one), which aren't the same thing as live in caregivers.

Unfortunately, your job isn't one that would lead to a visa usually, but you do have the huge advantage of being eligible for IEC, which would get you a 2 year open work permit. That's going to be your quickest and easiest way over by a mile.

Your NVQ's (any level) won't be recognised or of any use in Canada. Is there any way you could switch and do a degree instead of your next two NVQ levels?

Out of interest, why Newfoundland? Do you have family there?

Good luck.
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

I saw it here. Although, it was a lot further down the list than I thought at #88. Not exactly an official list but more of a forecast.

What is an IEC? I'll definitely look in to that.

I thought they may hold some value as NVQ's in other trades/jobs can be recognised in other countries as far as I know. The NVQ's are desirable past Level 1 (which is mandatory now). I would, if needed, by willing to do a social work degree if it increased my chances of gaining entry to Canada.

I said NFLD because I have friends there and it would make things considerably easier. However, I would explore options all over Canada.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: What would be the route in to permanently staying in Canada after the IEC expires?

Last edited by Simplekat; Sep 19th 2015 at 4:22 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can see the job description and requirements here for social worker - Quick Search - Results

And live in caregiver, which is what it sounds as though you do? Unit Group

let us know which of those fit better - if you are a Social Worker then you'll have a lot more options and be in demand, but it doesn't sound as though you are from what you've said.

Your routes to staying after the IEC will depend on the answer to the above!

A degree would be very desirable for pretty much any job in Canada - even admin assistants seem to require them! So it would probably be a good thing to get anyway, plus Canada generally just doesn't recognise NVQ's (the agencies that assess qualifications for immigration purposes don't even accept them!). Tbh, very few countries will recognise or know what NVQ's are unfortunately.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 19th 2015 at 4:29 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Canada generally just doesn't recognise NVQ's (the agencies that assess qualifications for immigration purposes don't even accept them!). Tbh, very few countries will recognise or know what NVQ's are unfortunately. HTH.
Canada does not recognise vocational qualifications or trade certificates. Both have to re-certify, however experience is usually credited if it can be proven toward challenging exams.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

You can see the job description and requirements here for social worker - Quick Search - Results

And live in caregiver, which is what it sounds as though you do? Unit Group

let us know which of those fit better - if you are a Social Worker then you'll have a lot more options and be in demand, but it doesn't sound as though you are from what you've said.

Your routes to staying after the IEC will depend on the answer to the above!

A degree would be very desirable for pretty much any job in Canada - even admin assistants seem to require them! So it would probably be a good thing to get anyway, plus Canada generally just doesn't recognise NVQ's (the agencies that assess qualifications for immigration purposes don't even accept them!). Tbh, very few countries will recognise or know what NVQ's are unfortunately.

HTH.
Hi there,

The "live in caregiver" is definitely a lot closer, if not spot on to what I do. Could you give me some more information on the IEC route regarding this? Also, could you please tell me anything else I could do from now until applying (a few years) to increase my chances?

Thank you!
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You could do some research and have a read up on the Caregiver programs but you should bear in mind there have been a lot of changes recently to those programs. Here are a few links to start which will point you in the direction of the eligibility criteria etc:

Changes for work permits issued to caregivers

Determine your eligibility – Live-in caregivers

Essentially, among (a lot of) other things, you would need a signed employment contract and an LMIA (which shows the employer has tried first to recruit a Canadian/permanent resident to do the job). It's quite complex.

I'd agree: IEC (if you could get a spot when the next allocation comes) would give you more flexibility and be far simpler to get yourself here in the first instance.

S

PS: I just noticed you mentioned Newfoundland and Labrador. Have a look at the Provincial Nominee route also:

http://www.nlpnp.ca/skilledworker.html

but again any application would revolve around a job offer. I have also not looked into whether this province is still accepting PNP applications for 2015 as a few provinces have stopped for this year as they've filled their quota. I have also not looked into specific requirements (except that there are language requirements for the lower skilled) or whether any occupations are not allowed for this program in NFLD (disclaimer!). It's going to be difficult to secure a job offer when not actually in Canada ... so back to IEC as a good option.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 19th 2015 at 8:44 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:41 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I work with people that have their BSW as youth workers as it is competive for Social Work. Those with a BSW can do Case Management roles but if you want to work in the hospitals/psych wards you need the masters.

I very much doubt that Social Work is an in demand trade judging by the amount of people I know and work with at my level with their BSWs.

NVQs although not generally accepted can be used as well as experience. For Example, my job as a youth worker required a 2 year college diploma as mandatory. I went for my interview and got the job based on my life experience. I have an NVQ Level 3 and they did accept that as I explained how I completed my NVQ. You may be ok it just depends on the organization
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Simplekat
Hi there,

The "live in caregiver" is definitely a lot closer, if not spot on to what I do. Could you give me some more information on the IEC route regarding this? Also, could you please tell me anything else I could do from now until applying (a few years) to increase my chances?

Thank you!
You can read up on the IEC visa on the CIC website, but it's essentially just a two year open work permit, so would be ideal for you.

Personally, if I were you I wouldn't be waiting a few years to apply, I'd go now and then study in Canada instead - that way you'll be over sooner, but also have the advantage of actually having qualifications recognised in Canada, and be much more employable, plus it'll give you more points for a PR application when the time comes. I just don't see the point in wasting time and money on NVQ's that won't get you anywhere anyway if your aim is to live in Canada.

So do look in to study permits as well - if you can do a degree then that would be even better (as above, Canada loves bits of paper and a degree seems to be needed for pretty much every job!).

Best of luck.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You could do some research and have a read up on the Caregiver programs but you should bear in mind there have been a lot of changes recently to those programs. Here are a few links to start which will point you in the direction of the eligibility criteria etc:

Changes for work permits issued to caregivers

Determine your eligibility – Live-in caregivers

Essentially, among (a lot of) other things, you would need a signed employment contract and an LMIA (which shows the employer has tried first to recruit a Canadian/permanent resident to do the job). It's quite complex.

I'd agree: IEC (if you could get a spot when the next allocation comes) would give you more flexibility and be far simpler to get yourself here in the first instance.

S

PS: I just noticed you mentioned Newfoundland and Labrador. Have a look at the Provincial Nominee route also:

Ask An Expert | Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program

but again any application would revolve around a job offer. I have also not looked into whether this province is still accepting PNP applications for 2015 as a few provinces have stopped for this year as they've filled their quota. I have also not looked into specific requirements (except that there are language requirements for the lower skilled) or whether any occupations are not allowed for this program in NFLD (disclaimer!). It's going to be difficult to secure a job offer when not actually in Canada ... so back to IEC as a good option.
Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I work with people that have their BSW as youth workers as it is competive for Social Work. Those with a BSW can do Case Management roles but if you want to work in the hospitals/psych wards you need the masters.

I very much doubt that Social Work is an in demand trade judging by the amount of people I know and work with at my level with their BSWs.

NVQs although not generally accepted can be used as well as experience. For Example, my job as a youth worker required a 2 year college diploma as mandatory. I went for my interview and got the job based on my life experience. I have an NVQ Level 3 and they did accept that as I explained how I completed my NVQ. You may be ok it just depends on the organization
You can read up on the IEC visa on the CIC website, but it's essentially just a two year open work permit, so would be ideal for you.

Personally, if I were you I wouldn't be waiting a few years to apply, I'd go now and then study in Canada instead - that way you'll be over sooner, but also have the advantage of actually having qualifications recognised in Canada, and be much more employable, plus it'll give you more points for a PR application when the time comes. I just don't see the point in wasting time and money on NVQ's that won't get you anywhere anyway if your aim is to live in Canada.

So do look in to study permits as well - if you can do a degree then that would be even better (as above, Canada loves bits of paper and a degree seems to be needed for pretty much every job!).

Best of luck.
You've all been very, very helpful! Thank you.

Does anyone know a place within the UK I could contact to be able to discuss potential eligibility as well as the route to apply/put this in to motion? There's a lot of information to process as well as a number of routes, licences/visa's and of course cost.

In regards to IEC. I will definitely look at that option first. My main reason for waiting (not neccessarily a few years is down to cost/finances and getting my friends and families heads around me actually (if possible) leaving. It's primarily about finances, though.

Is there any more information anyone can give that could help? Thanks again you guys. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Does anyone know a place within the UK I could contact to be able to discuss potential eligibility as well as the route to apply/put this in to motion? There's a lot of information to process as well as a number of routes, licences/visa's and of course cost.
You'd need to consult with an immigration lawyer/consultant if you wanted advice on visas, although do note that they won't be able to help you with regards to getting licensed to work in Canada - that'll just have to be down to good old Google and your own research I'm afraid!

If you have any other questions, do feel free to ask though and somebody will always try and help.

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You've all been very, very helpful! Thank you.

In regards to IEC. I will definitely look at that option first. My main reason for waiting (not neccessarily a few years is down to cost/finances and getting my friends and families heads around me actually (if possible) leaving. It's primarily about finances, though.

Is there any more information anyone can give that could help? Thanks again you guys. Much appreciated.
Get an IEC permit next year, come here for a year or two, figure it out as you go along. If it works out, great, if not, a great learning experience. Don't over think it. If family don't 'get their heads around it' right away, it is unlikely they ever will. Waiting often makes it worse.

There is stuff I did not do when I had the chance that I regret not doing, the things I did I don't regret. Something was learned from every experience. Some experiences I may not wish to repeat, but it was still worthwhile.