On holiday with expired PR card

Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default On holiday with expired PR card

Currently on holiday backpacking round Asia.

But the day before we left realised that PR cards had expired

Understand that we need to go to Canadian Consulate to get a travel document but I have a couple of questions on this:

1) How long does it take for the Canadian Consulate to issue the travel document?

3) How long do we have to use the travel document from when it was issued to when we return to Canada?

We are backpacking round Asia so aren't staying in one place for a very long time
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Re: On holiday with expired PR card

I travelled without my PR card to china for 3 months, I returned via Air Canada and had no problems with re entry
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
I travelled without my PR card to china for 3 months, I returned via Air Canada and had no problems with re entry
Sadly we aren't flying with Air Canada so will need our PR cards upon return

Good to hear that the myth of flying with Air Canada without a PR card is true though!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

You only need it to board the plane if requested, I travell for business alot and whilst I was waiting for my card I flew with many airlines such as China Southern, Air China and United and never got asked for the card.

When I entered Canada they saw my PR stamp in the passport and let me through, they did tell me off but hey I got home!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You've read the sticky thread above about travelling without PR cards I take it?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks.

Yes I did read the sticky.

We're flying Air China, and I suppose as we are on UK passports they should let us on the flight even without a PR card because we would be OK as tourists entering Canada without a visa.

Aqua - what happens at the airport immigration when you present your passport but no PR card?

The only country that we will be in that issues the travel document is Singapore and that is only for 3 days. I doubt that will be enough time to process the travel document and I really don't want to spend my time in Singapore at the consulate.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

What happens at Canadian Immigration at the airport when you arrive back without a PR card?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

When you arrive the border agent will find the stamp in the passport and then because you have no PR card with you they will search the system to find you.

In my experience they are OK about it!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
When you arrive the border agent will find the stamp in the passport and then because you have no PR card with you they will search the system to find you.

In my experience they are OK about it!
What if they are now using a new passport and the landing stamp is in the other passport
We will search FOSS for your details and ask questions regarding if you meet the 730 day residency obligation or can meet it. If satisfied they will let you in and give you either a polite or stern warning about travelling on an expired PR card.
At the end of the day its the airline that decides to board you or not.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

We've both got our original passports with our landing stamps and that piece of paper in it.

As far as I can tell the only country that we are visiting that has an Embassy / Consulate office that can issue the travel document is Singapore. We are only in Singapore for 3 working days and according to the website it takes 2 weeks for them to issue the travel document so I don't think we have got much option unless we dramatically change our plans
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:25 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You should just go ahead and return without seeking the facilitation visa. It will be handled at the airport and without too much trouble.