Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP !! Amendment of Marital Status

HELP !! Amendment of Marital Status

Old Feb 8th 2001, 2:49 am
CyberBoy

Hi Experts,

First at all, I would like to say thank to you all experts that provided answers to this
forum, those answers were very helpful for me. (Especially to David Cohen and Andrew
Miller, your answers indirectly had helped me)

According to those questions and answers I have gathered saved me a lot of time to reduce
my questions to this forum. But I still have questions that this forum have not been
responded / answered.

My Situation is : I’ve got my landing paper in hand and valid until August 2001 (as my
medical took place) and My marital status is Single. The problem come up because I am
getting married next month ( March 2001) with my girlfriend (Indonesian) in Jakarta
Indonesia. That’s meant before landing. So from March to August is 5 months time and from
this forum I found that amendment take approx 6-8 months time.

My questions are :

(1). Do the visa officer make the application faster (start counting) by sending a letter
and landing paper to him RIGHT NOW and telling him that next month we are getting
married by providing a letter from our parents and our church, and also mentioning we
will send the necessary doc when ready including my wife application.

(2). Or We just wait until we get married and then inform and return LP to the visa
officer with the necessary doc ?

(3) What happened with my application/ LP due to processing time may longer than the
expired date ? Do I need to redo the whole things ? or just ask for redo only
the medical ?

(4) I have been searching for the answer and there is no formal/exact rule to handle this
situation, so my point is : Is there any guaranty that ( with assumption : my future
wife’s medical and security are approved/cleared) the application will be extended due
to additional processing time or at least no redo the whole thing?

Thank you very much for your attention and your quick respond is appreciated.

--
CyberBoy@@1

Old Feb 8th 2001, 3:38 am
Andrew Miller

If you change your marital status before landing then your visa becomes invalid. You have
2 options - one is to return your visa now together with your wife-to-be application and
the evidence that your wedding will take place in March. The other is to land now and
sponsor your wife after the marriage. Obviously the first option will be faster and less
complicated, so hurry.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

> Hi Experts,
>
> First at all, I would like to say thank to you all experts that provided answers to this
> forum, those answers were very helpful for me. (Especially to David Cohen and Andrew
> Miller, your answers indirectly had helped me)
>
> According to those questions and answers I have gathered saved me a lot of time to
> reduce my questions to this forum. But I still have questions that this forum have not
> been responded / answered.
>
> My Situation is : I’ve got my landing paper in hand and valid until August 2001 (as my
> medical took place) and My marital status is Single. The problem come up because I am
> getting married next month ( March 2001) with my girlfriend (Indonesian) in Jakarta
> Indonesia. That’s meant before landing. So from March to August is 5 months time and
> from this forum I found that amendment take approx 6-8 months time.
>
> My questions are :
>
> (1). Do the visa officer make the application faster (start counting) by sending a
> letter and landing paper to him RIGHT NOW and telling him that next month we are
> getting married by providing a letter from our parents and our church, and also
> mentioning we will send the necessary doc when ready including my wife application.
>
> (2). Or We just wait until we get married and then inform and return LP to the visa
> officer with the necessary doc ?
>
> (3) What happened with my application/ LP due to processing time may longer than the
> expired date ? Do I need to redo the whole things ? or just ask for redo only the
> medical ?
>
> (4) I have been searching for the answer and there is no formal/exact rule to handle
> this situation, so my point is : Is there any guaranty that ( with assumption : my
> future wife’s medical and security are approved/cleared) the application will be
> extended due to additional processing time or at least no redo the whole thing?
>
> Thank you very much for your attention and your quick respond is appreciated.
>
> --
> CyberBoy@@1

Old Feb 8th 2001, 6:18 am
Jim Humphries

I would write to the visa office now and advise them of this development. tell them you
wish to include your wife in your application. You will have to return your visa as
well. The visa office will advise you what steps must be taken. Jim Humphries, former
visa officer

CyberBoy wrote:
>
> Hi Experts,
>
> First at all, I would like to say thank to you all experts that provided answers to this
> forum, those answers were very helpful for me. (Especially to David Cohen and Andrew
>
> According to those questions and answers I have gathered saved me a lot of time to
> reduce my questions to this forum. But I still have questions that this forum have not
>
> My Situation is : I’ve got my landing paper in hand and valid until August 2001 (as my
> medical took place) and My marital status is Single. The problem come up because I am
> getting married next month ( March 2001) with my girlfriend (Indonesian) in Jakarta
> Indonesia. That’s meant before landing. So from March to August is 5 months time and
>
> My questions are :
>
> (1). Do the visa officer make the application faster (start counting) by sending a
> letter and landing paper to him RIGHT NOW and telling him that next month we are
> getting married by providing a letter from our parents and our church, and also
> mentioning we will send the necessary doc when ready including my wife application.
>
> (2). Or We just wait until we get married and then inform and return LP to the visa
>
> (3) What happened with my application/ LP due to processing time may longer than the
> expired date ? Do I need to redo the whole things ? or just ask for redo only the
> medical ?
>
> (4) I have been searching for the answer and there is no formal/exact rule to handle
> this situation, so my point is : Is there any guaranty that ( with assumption : my
> future wife’s medical and security are approved/cleared) the application will be
> extended due to additional processing time or at least no redo the whole thing?
>
> Thank you very much for your attention and your quick respond is appreciated.
>
> --
> CyberBoy@@1

Old Feb 8th 2001, 2:42 pm
David Cohen

says...
> Hi Experts,
>
>
>
>
> My questions are :
>

Doing so may allow your future spouse to begin the medical examination procedures
immediately, which may expedite the amendment process. This, however, would be subject to
the discretion of an immigration official, as the lack of a formal marriage certificate
may prevent the inclusion of your fiancee into your application at this time.

This is the standard procedure.

> medical ?

If the amendment cannot be concluded prior to the expiration of the landing documents, the
visa office may insist that you resubmit the application.

No such guarantee exists.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law [email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community