Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hello everyone! Newbie greenhorn here!

Hello everyone! Newbie greenhorn here!

Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

GoWestYoungMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello everyone! Newbie greenhorn here!

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, I have a nasty feeling this question has been asked on here quintillion times, but can I find it!

Long story short...pls excuse the rudeness of how I'm jumping straight into things...

We as a family landed in Canada some years ago.
At the time, my kids were in their teens and being British born, didnt take to Canada and the schooling system very well at all.
In fact, we ended up sending them back to the UK to stay with their grandparents, as they wanted that.

Fast forward now...they all graduated with flying colours, and yep, you guessed it....they want to come back to Canada now.

Myself and the wife are still here in BC, we have our PR but cant sponsor the kids as our PR cards have expired and our new ones havent arrived as yet...we sent off the renewal applications more than 6 months ago, although we did receive acknowledgement of our applications.

My question (s)....how do my kids go about getting back to Canada now, pls?
Theyre in their mid 20s now and have work experience of more than a few years now in their relevant fields....one has worked in marketing and the other is into biology.

Do we wait for our PR cards to arrive first before sponsoring the kids, or is sponsorship not required now, as the kids are over 18 now?

Im assuming they havent lost their PR status just cos they left after landing...I heard you cannot lose your PR, unless you renounce it or you get kicked out by the authorities?

The kids have made tentative enquiries about their employment fields and both say they should have no trouble in gaining employment.

Anybody have any useful ideas at all, pls?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone! Newbie greenhorn here!

If they have not lived in Canada for 2 out of the last 5 years, then they have lost their PR status. You will be unable to sponsor now that they are no longer considered dependents.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help!

So reading between the lines, I guess it's feasible for the kids to apply for a Travel Document?

I understand the fact theyre not under 21 now so sponsorship isnt possible.

As far as committment is concerned, theyre committed to Canada now, whatever it takes. Although it wouldve been so much more conducive if they'd stayed here with us...
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoWestYoungMan
So reading between the lines, I guess it's feasible for the kids to apply for a Travel Document?
Have they actually maintained their PR status? i.e. spent at least 730 days in Canada out of every 5 years since obtaining PR? Travel documents are only for PR's that need to travel but don't have a card, so from what you've said not applicable to them.

Not sure who told you you couldn't lose PR status, but that's not correct I'm afraid. Here is the info from CIC about how much time you have to spend in Canada to maintain PR -http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

And some 'light reading' on the subject! https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir...p/op10-eng.pdf and https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf23-eng.pdf

Welcome to BE btw, hope you can find a way to get them to Canada.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 7th 2018 at 2:12 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@christmasoompa
Did I link to the wrong thread then? I thought I picked the one where a son of school age that had been given PR as part of the parents application previously but had returned to the UK for school and then stayed and then worked but was now an adult and wanted to come back to Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

They remain PRs until an official process happens and they lose their status or they voluntarily renounce. However, if they apply for a travel document or try to enter Canada that will (likely) start the process.

They can't be processed for a new PR application until their status is resolved. See a lawyer or consultant so that you know where they stand in law.

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 7th 2018 at 2:34 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@christmasoompa
Did I link to the wrong thread then? I thought I picked the one where a son of school age that had been given PR as part of the parents application previously but had returned to the UK for school and then stayed and then worked but was now an adult and wanted to come back to Canada.
Similar situation, but on that thread the son was still within the time before his PR expired, and also was young enough to be sponsored by his parents. As neither of those are applicable to the OP, I didn't want to confuse them with advice given to another person that may not be relevant.

Thank you for thinking of it and posting though.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
They remain PRs until an official process happens and they lose their status or they voluntarily renounce. However, if they apply for a travel document or try to enter Canada that will (likely) start the process.

They can't be processed for a new PR application until their status is resolved. See a lawyer or consultant so that you know where they stand in law.
agree that a lawyer in this case would be advisable. As said a formal process has to happen to remove PR status but they have not maintained enough time in Canada to maintain PR status so applying for a travel document and landing with it will probably lead to their files being reviewed and the formal process beginning.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank u all, again, once again!

Plethora of advice!

Agreed that the kids havent fulfilled the criteria to maintain PR, so is it advisable for them to reapply as independent applicants now?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by GoWestYoungMan
Thank u all, again, once again!

Plethora of advice!

Agreed that the kids havent fulfilled the criteria to maintain PR, so is it advisable for them to reapply as independent applicants now?
They'll need to relinquish their old PR first, but then yes, if they're eligible. It's a new system now from when you applied and all done on a points scoring system, so it will depend what they're scoring.

HTH.