Grandparent sponsorship/PR

Old Sep 4th 2016, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Madeleine2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grandparent sponsorship/PR

Has anyone had any experience with applying for residency in Canada using the above visa?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Grandparent sponsorship/PR

Originally Posted by Madeleine2013
Has anyone had any experience with applying for residency in Canada using the above visa?
I highly doubt it as those wanting PR for parents/grandparents would be using the family sponsorship as found in this link
Sponsor your parents and grandparents

I don't see a viable way under the super visa.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

We are in Canada using the the SV...I believe we are temporary residents. Then our daughter sponsored us for PR...which will probably be through by the end of the year or early next year.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2016 at 1:18 am.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:30 am
Just Joined

flyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! We applied for a supervisa for my parents whilst they were waiting for a sponsored application to come through - which finally did about a month ago... Woot!

Happy to share our experiences (which included the border folks not having any idea what a supervisa was when they tried to activate it... but therein lines another tale!).
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyboy74
Hi! We applied for a supervisa for my parents whilst they were waiting for a sponsored application to come through - which finally did about a month ago... Woot!

Happy to share our experiences (which included the border folks not having any idea what a supervisa was when they tried to activate it... but therein lines another tale!).
That's great!

Haven't met one border agent that knows anything about the SV.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's great!

Haven't met one border agent that knows anything about the SV.
Are you sure?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you sure?
Have I met you?

You are the only one I know of who knows anything about it. The last time we went into the office at Lewiston...we were asked why we had a SV as it was only for people from India and China.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

We are in Canada using the the SV...I believe we are temporary residents. Then our daughter sponsored us for PR...which will probably be through by the end of the year or early next year.

As applications are not accepted until next January I have to wait and I'm very anxious to get the application work correct first time because I don't want to wait another year. Did you have any problems or difficulties with your application? How soon did you know the application had been accepted?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As applications are not accepted until next January I have to wait and I'm very anxious to get the application work correct first time because I don't want to wait another year. Did you have any problems or difficulties with your application? How soon did you know the application had been accepted?
Hi, welcome to BE. As it seems you're asking about PR rather than the Supervisa I'll change your thread title. I'm sure that JG will have lots of good advice for you later when she sees this thread, good luck with it.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: Grandparent super visa

We have been in Canada since March 2014 on the Super Visa. This allowed us to live here whilst waiting for PR.

We did our PR application in rather a hurry and didn't have a problem. It was NY Day 2014 we were in Toronto and I realized we could submit it the next day. We paid a courier to hand deliver it to Mississauga the next morning. He was waiting for the CIC office to open and ours was the 12th application they received. The application is quite long and various documents have to be notorised. Thankfully my daughter's friend is a solicitor who lives nearby...so he notorised the documents. I suggest you fill in the application and get the applicable documents notorised before Christmas. Arrange for a courier to hand deliver the package on 2 January.

CIC have been very slow in giving out any information...even though you can access your application online. It was well over a year before they acknowledged receipt and have only just updated it with the news that our sponsor has been approved and they have received our medicals.

Family sponsorship had been closed for a few years to allow CIC to clear the huge backlog of applications. It reopened in Jan 2014...taking in 5,000 applications per year. I think new applications are taking less than our almost 3 year wait and the number of applicants accepted has doubled.

The SV application was easier and ours took 7 months...we applied August 2013.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2016 at 2:22 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Grandparent sponsorship/PR

I still maintain the parent/grandparent route to PR is a lottery. Last year there was 5000 spots but CIC accepted and doubled the number of applications to 10,000. NOTE applications not spots. The new Liberal Govt promised to double the number in its election promise. Did it mean double the spots or double the number of applications accepted. I guess we will soon find out.
We know that CIC received well over the 10,000 applications and that some courier companies were making money by charging up to $600 to wait in line outside the Mississauga office to personally hand over applications. Those who were mailing in applications I guess suffered because of this.
CIC never as far as I know never released the ACTUAL number of applications it received but we do know that they said incomplete applications would not be considered.
Seeing as the route was suspended for 2 years and given the current levels of Immigration to Canada over the past 20 years and with a lot of those people now being eligible/wanting to sponsor their parents/grandparents I would hate to guesstimate what the actual figures are.
Processing times for this route have significantly been reduced from the 10 yrs it used to take and I wonder how many died waiting during that 10 yrs?

Just be prepared to apply year after year unless you get lucky.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Our application history has been outlined before, But daughter applied to sponsor us for PR before the 2011 moritorium, in about 2010. We applied for and received SV in 2013. We received PR in 2015.

I agree with all comments made about the lack of awareness on behalf of authorities, both national and provincial, about the SV.. but with a little education from us and others like us, this has been chipped away at.

I understand the arguments behind the age discrimination being applied by the authorities, but I'd argue that the economist view of the world is misguided where family sponsorship applies to older people. We have been nothing but net contributors to the canadian economy ever since our arrival, and our contribution to easing the lifestyle of my daughter and her family has been invaluable, and of course, proximity to our only child and her family has been good for us as well.

Given the health and financial screening that applicants need to undergo, the financial restrictions governing future state assistance and the general benefits that we have made to the candian economy, I'd argue that immigrants such as ourselves should be generally welcomed.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I still maintain the parent/grandparent route to PR is a lottery. Last year there was 5000 spots but CIC accepted and doubled the number of applications to 10,000. NOTE applications not spots. The new Liberal Govt promised to double the number in its election promise. Did it mean double the spots or double the number of applications accepted. I guess we will soon find out.
We know that CIC received well over the 10,000 applications and that some courier companies were making money by charging up to $600 to wait in line outside the Mississauga office to personally hand over applications. Those who were mailing in applications I guess suffered because of this.
CIC never as far as I know never released the ACTUAL number of applications it received but we do know that they said incomplete applications would not be considered.
Seeing as the route was suspended for 2 years and given the current levels of Immigration to Canada over the past 20 years and with a lot of those people now being eligible/wanting to sponsor their parents/grandparents I would hate to guesstimate what the actual figures are.
Processing times for this route have significantly been reduced from the 10 yrs it used to take and I wonder how many died waiting during that 10 yrs?

Just be prepared to apply year after year unless you get lucky.
We are young retirees and are both in good health...but yes using the SV while PR is in progress is a bit of a lottery. In our case we intended to sell up in the US and move back to the UK...but as our daughter is in Toronto and we already owned property here...we decided to try Toronto first. If it didn't work out for whatever reason we would go back to the UK. I realize under the terms of the SV one has to retain a home in their home country. We were quite honest with Immigration Officials when we have been asked about this...saying we intended to move back to the UK from the US for retirement therefore we sold our US house...but are 'trying out' Canada and if it doesn't work out we would go back to the UK.

I must admit that at the back of our minds we have always hoped that we wouldn't get a serious illness while waiting for PR...as this would most likely mean we would not be accepted as PRs. Whether waiting at home or in Canada on the SV this would still be the same worry.

I take your point about '10,000 applications and not spots'...I hadn't thought of it that way.

I get the impression that some people applying for PR from Asia are somehow fast tracked. Or perhaps it's because people already living in Canada on the SV is not seen as urgent. I have read on another forum that some 2015 applicants from such countries have already received PR...even though their files have been sent to Ottawa same as ours.

FL a question for you although you may not want to answer this on the forum. Earlier in the year when we went into the Immigration offices at the Lewiston border crossing to renew our SV...the officer told us that our application was well under way and that our sponsor had been approved. That was in March...it's only in the last few weeks that CIC have notified us of this through their website. Also since then when we have crossed the border by land (using NEXUS)...the agents have more or less waved us through without questioning. Before they always asked were we were going, what was the reason for our visit, where did we live etc. Therefore I assume officers can see that our PR application is almost complete...so they have stopped asking us questions.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dave_j
Our application history has been outlined before, But daughter applied to sponsor us for PR before the 2011 moritorium, in about 2010. We applied for and received SV in 2013. We received PR in 2015.

I agree with all comments made about the lack of awareness on behalf of authorities, both national and provincial, about the SV.. but with a little education from us and others like us, this has been chipped away at.

I understand the arguments behind the age discrimination being applied by the authorities, but I'd argue that the economist view of the world is misguided where family sponsorship applies to older people. We have been nothing but net contributors to the canadian economy ever since our arrival, and our contribution to easing the lifestyle of my daughter and her family has been invaluable, and of course, proximity to our only child and her family has been good for us as well.

Given the health and financial screening that applicants need to undergo, the financial restrictions governing future state assistance and the general benefits that we have made to the candian economy, I'd argue that immigrants such as ourselves should be generally welcomed.
Agreed. Even though we are retirees...we spend a lot of money in Canada and pay a lot of income tax due to investment and pension income. If we had to pay for our own healthcare we are in the fortunate position that we could. If we had to return to the UK...then our family would most likely follow...2 of which were born in Canada.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

As a single person I am finding this quite stressful simple because there is no one here to assist me. Of course my daughter will help but she is in Canada and I'm in the uk and so time differences and work commitments does leave such a short time in which we can get together and discuss the way forward. This week for instance they are on holiday and there is no wifi at the cabin. I just want to be sure we are applying through the right channels selecting the right visa.
Thank you everyone for your replies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.