Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting married after application submitted

Getting married after application submitted

Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sian22040 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married after application submitted

HI Guys,

First of all I want to thank the people who have offered help so far as I managed to get my ITA and have submitted my application last Friday

My query is that I am the principal applicant and I am getting married in 3 weeks time, my partner is already on my application as common law so wouldn't need to add him.

I'm changing my name when we marry and if I change my name on my passport I will obviously have a new passport and number and a different name to my application. Does this matter that I would have new passport and name? I would obviously like my new name to be on my PR card so assume I would need to change my passport?

Or would I leave my passport as it is and fly over in my maiden name but produce my marriage cert at the border and they produce the PR card in my married name. If this was the case would it matter I would have different name on passport to PR card?

I am just looking for the easiest way to deal with this please, sorry if its a stupid question just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Thanks in Advance
Sian
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married after application submitted

I would suggest the easiest way would be to use your maiden name through till the completion of your PR application. Once you are here, landed and settled you could then look at the process of name changing.

That being said my wife has various documents in a combination of married and maiden names (BC ID in married, US passport in maiden name, work in married etc.). It has never caused an issue as the marriage certificate shows maiden name. In our PR application we just had to upload a letter of explanation saying why she used two names.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Great thank you so long as it wont cause an issue to have different names on different things sounds the easiest option
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sian22040
Great thank you so long as it wont cause an issue to have different names on different things sounds the easiest option
me and the wife have never found it to be an issue, just use a copy of the marriage certificate to show both the names together. I find it is becoming more and more common for women to use their maiden names for professional reasons and use married name for social reasons. My wife even uses a double barreled version sometimes to cover all basis (I think its just because she's a yank and thinks it makes her sound posh in the UK).

A good tip for the wedding day, ask the register for a second copy of the marriage certificate. They can do it there and then for a little extra money (I think it was 15 GBP for us). If you ever then need to send off an original you have one without the cost of getting it certified as true by a notary public.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Jun 26th 2017 at 3:06 pm. Reason: SPAG
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
me and the wife have never found it to be an issue, just use a copy of the marriage certificate to show both he names together. I found it becoming more and more common for women to use their maiden names for professional reasons and use married name for social reasons. My wife even uses a double barreled version sometimes to cover all basis (I think its just because she's a yank and thinks it makes her sound posh in the UK).

A good tip for the wedding day, as the register for a second copy of the marriage certificate. They can do it their and then for a little extra money (I think it was 15 GBP for us). If you ever then need to send off an original you have one to do this without the cost of getting it certified as true by a notary public).

Good luck with it all.

Thank you and great tip will definitely do that

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember you need to update IRCC of all important changes which includes telling it that you are married once you are.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Remember you need to update IRCC of all important changes which includes telling it that you are married once you are.
Would I need to send them my marriage certificate as soon as we r married whilst the application is being processed or after I receive CORP/PPR ?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sian22040
Would I need to send them my marriage certificate as soon as we r married whilst the application is being processed or after I receive CORP/PPR ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=052&top=3
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=052&top=3
This is great thank you
Old Jun 26th 2017, 8:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-your-last-name

There is no requirement to legally change your name, you can just 'assume' your married name, if you prefer.