Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting a job offer for a NOC Under Pressure

Getting a job offer for a NOC Under Pressure

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Lauraandfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job offer for a NOC Under Pressure

Would anybody be so kind to answer……?
We have a job offer for a NOC level C that is classed as an Occupation under Pressure in BC.
We are aware of the expedited LMO but are unable to qualify for this as the company has only been running for 5 months (we were told that they had to be running for 12 months plus).
As the LMO has a timeframe of 6/7 months in BC, would we have any chance of it being processed faster as it an "Occupations under Pressure"?
Has anybody had any experience of this??
Our LMO went in electronically today and are having supporting letters being sent separately to support are application as our employer is struggling to run the business as they are desperate for my husband to start work for them.
Many thanks for your thoughts,
Laura
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

wayne-Niki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job offer for a NOC Under Pressure

Originally Posted by Lauraandfam
Would anybody be so kind to answer……?
We have a job offer for a NOC level C that is classed as an Occupation under Pressure in BC.
We are aware of the expedited LMO but are unable to qualify for this as the company has only been running for 5 months (we were told that they had to be running for 12 months plus).
As the LMO has a timeframe of 6/7 months in BC, would we have any chance of it being processed faster as it an "Occupations under Pressure"?
Has anybody had any experience of this??
Our LMO went in electronically today and are having supporting letters being sent separately to support are application as our employer is struggling to run the business as they are desperate for my husband to start work for them.
Many thanks for your thoughts,
Laura
Where In BC is the job and what type of work is it?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:24 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lauraandfam
No, when an occupation is listed amongst the Occupations under Pressure, it doesn't speed up the Labour Market Opinion application as such. All it means is that the length of time for which the employer has to advertise the vacancy across Canada is reduced.

Another challenge, as far as I understand the system, is that only people who belong to Skill Level O, A or B are allowed to upgrade to permanent resident (PR) status via the skilled worker route. I mention that in case you later wanted to switch from a temporary work permit to PR.

Also, only the spouses of people in Skill Levels O, A and B are eligible for spousal open work permits, if you care about that.

I don't know if your spouse belongs to an occupation that would qualify for BC's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 22nd 2008 at 5:27 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
No, when an occupation is listed amongst the Occupations under Pressure, it doesn't speed up the Labour Market Opinion application as such. All it means is that the length of time for which the employer has to advertise the vacancy across Canada is reduced.

Another challenge, as far as I understand the system, is that only people who belong to Skill Level O, A or B are allowed to upgrade to permanent resident (PR) status via the skilled worker route. I mention that in case you later wanted to switch from a temporary work permit to PR.

Also, only the spouses of people in Skill Levels O, A and B are eligible for spousal open work permits, if you care about that.

I don't know if your spouse belongs to an occupation that would qualify for BC's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
x

Not quite, in BC there is the semi skilled PNP program for certain occupations. None are in the A,B or O. See: http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...SO/so_ELSS.htm
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:50 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The op stated to be in noc level c, that directs them to the semi-skilled stream of bcpnp - if their job is listed there.
as far as i understand applicants for the semi-skilled stream need to be working with a valid wp in bc for 9 months before they are eligible to apply. it seems that there is no way around the lmo for them.
Employment requirements:

* Nominee applicants must have been employed in an eligible occupation by the sponsoring company on a temporary work permit for at least 9 months immediately prior to the date of application to the BC PNP, and must be legally employed by the sponsoring company at the time of application.
http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...SO/so_ELSS.htm

Last edited by lof; Mar 22nd 2008 at 5:53 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Lauraandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Can’t thankyou all enough for your replies.
Firstly Wayne-Nicki the job offer if NOC 6421 in Sales and the area is Nelson.
Just a bit of background to our journey.
My husband is in fact a Registered UK Paramedic and wishes to practice within BC but needs to get licensed before he can do that.
The problem for us is that once he does get licensed (it is possible and we have all the information and contacts to do this) we still need to get a TWP. This is the “sticky” part, all of the jobs that are posted are only P/T, even though we have been assured that there are full time hours available. Therefore we are unable to get a TWP, as we need a fulltime job offer.
To find a way round this my sister and husband have offered my husband a job for there company, as he has experience in sales and in the mean time live with my Mum and Dad whilst my husband gains his Paramedic licence. We have gone through the correct channels for the job offer, which thankfully no experienced Canadian wishes to do.
We did then plan to put in a Fast Track PR application and once we had this hubby would be able to apply for any Paramedic job.
Finishing with a fairytale ending of our family ( myself, hubby, 4year old daughter and 20 month old son) living close to their Aunty, Uncle, two cousins and Granny and Grandad.
But in reality what a minefield!!!!!!
My mind is now working overtime and I’m wondering if my husband could in fact get promotion whilst working on his TWP to upgrade his job to a Level B. This by the sounds of it would allow us to apply for PR after the required amount of time.
Also we are ruled out for PNP, as sales jobs are ineligible.
Any further advice would be relished!!
Lastly…….( I bet you were wondering when I was going to come up for air!) I don’t wish to work with such a young family, so do not need an open work permit ( one less thing to worry about!). I’m finding doing all the research a full time job enough and will need some R&R to bring my stress and blood pressure down once/if we arrive in Canada.
Trying to stay positive!
Many thanks again,
Laura