Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

fund disclosure upon arrival --- advice required please

fund disclosure upon arrival --- advice required please

Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

kbs003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fund disclosure upon arrival --- advice required please

hi
the fund required to disclose on arrival, does it need to be wholly as cash/travellers cheque/bank draft or can it be half cash and half shown as savings on UK bank account which will be brought to canada later.

please advise me please if anyone knows.

regards
kbs
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fund disclosure upon arrival --- advice required please

Originally Posted by kbs003
hi
the fund required to disclose on arrival, does it need to be wholly as cash/travellers cheque/bank draft or can it be half cash and half shown as savings on UK bank account which will be brought to canada later.

please advise me please if anyone knows.

regards
kbs
UK bank statements are fine.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

We turned up with only $3000 with rest in uk bank accounts, they asked us what we had with us and didn't even ask for proof of rest. We were landing and emigrating at the same time as well, so thought it may have been a problem. If you do get asked, show them uk bank statements and explain that you don't have a Canadian bank account yet and didn't want to carry large amounts of cash in case it gets lost.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

kbs003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rich07
We turned up with only $3000 with rest in uk bank accounts, they asked us what we had with us and didn't even ask for proof of rest. We were landing and emigrating at the same time as well, so thought it may have been a problem. If you do get asked, show them uk bank statements and explain that you don't have a Canadian bank account yet and didn't want to carry large amounts of cash in case it gets lost.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice. just getting worried bout carrying large amount of cash and also If i exchange £12k+ I will lose out money on conversion as well. I don't want that.now pound is losing value against CAD every day. When will it stop?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbs003
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice. just getting worried bout carrying large amount of cash and also If i exchange £12k+ I will lose out money on conversion as well. I don't want that.now pound is losing value against CAD every day. When will it stop?
You don't have to take any cash if you don't want to. CIC do clearly state that you just have to show you have the funds in a bank account, and that it can be in any currency.

The exchange rate has also got a lot better over the past year for people changing GBP in to CAD, so it may be dipping slightly at the mo, but it's better than the $1.40ish it was this time last year!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You don't have to take any cash if you don't want to. CIC do clearly state that you just have to show you have the funds in a bank account, and that it can be in any currency.

The exchange rate has also got a lot better over the past year for people changing GBP in to CAD, so it may be dipping slightly at the mo, but it's better than the $1.40ish it was this time last year!
It seems the UK Government is artificially de-valuing the GBP in order to stimulate exports and to make imports more expensive. I wouldn't imagine they can sustain this forever. It seems likely as the economy in the UK strengthens(!?!) so will sterling. Seems to be the consensus from other comments on this forum a more sustainable rate would be $1.70 - $1.80 to the £.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It seems the UK Government is artificially de-valuing the GBP in order to stimulate exports and to make imports more expensive. I wouldn't imagine they can sustain this forever. It seems likely as the economy in the UK strengthens(!?!) so will sterling. Seems to be the consensus from other comments on this forum a more sustainable rate would be $1.70 - $1.80 to the £.
I will bow to your superior knowledge on this one as my financial knowledge is nil, sadly I didn't inherit my father's genius money skills.

I just keep an eye on the rate and spend the stuff on things occasionally.