FSW. Trades

Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FSW. Trades

Hi folks, I thought I would start a new thread for any tradesmen/women applying for an FSW visa.
It doesn't matter what trade you are in or what stage in the process you are at. All experiences, thoughts, ideas etc. are welcome.

As far as I see it, the main areas are:

1. The visa application process for employed/self-employed

2. Skills credentials assessment

3. Employment prospects

4. Province you intend to live in

As for me, I am an Electrician and have applied under NOC codes 7241 and 7242. I sent my application to Sydney NS. at the end of August last year.
I completed my medicals around 3 weeks ago and am now awaiting the next stage in the application or rejection. My ECAS is "in process".

My desired location is Vancouver BC. but I am flexible depending on employment prospects.

The next stage for me is to start getting my credentials assessed (Red Seal) and I have emailed a few provincial training authorities to compare their requirements.

Please feel free to ask or add any questions/comments.

Thanks
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: FSW. Trades

Nobody?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parker14
Hi folks, I thought I would start a new thread for any tradesmen/women applying for an FSW visa.
It doesn't matter what trade you are in or what stage in the process you are at. All experiences, thoughts, ideas etc. are welcome.

As far as I see it, the main areas are:

1. The visa application process for employed/self-employed

2. Skills credentials assessment

3. Employment prospects

4. Province you intend to live in

As for me, I am an Electrician and have applied under NOC codes 7241 and 7242. I sent my application to Sydney NS. at the end of August last year.
I completed my medicals around 3 weeks ago and am now awaiting the next stage in the application or rejection. My ECAS is "in process".

My desired location is Vancouver BC. but I am flexible depending on employment prospects.

The next stage for me is to start getting my credentials assessed (Red Seal) and I have emailed a few provincial training authorities to compare their requirements.

Please feel free to ask or add any questions/comments.

Thanks
Red Seal don't assess credentials. It may be worth your while looking through their web site, Red Seal is an inter provincial endorsement of a provinces apprenticeship qualification. Experienced tradesman can challenge the exam if they can prove sufficient experience. The Provincial training authorities are the right way to go, this is how you end up challenging the Red Seal.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you are right, I have already been in contact with BC, AB and Ont about their qualification certificate programs. I am just trying to gather/exchange as much info as possible.

Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Parker
Your threads a nice idea, all the best with your application.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks joinerboy, I thought it was too, but not much response to date. Maybe there aren't too many tradesmen going over there.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

Olympics are over...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that useful piece of information.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Next you'll tell us the world cup is nearly over

Last edited by joinerboy; Jul 9th 2010 at 9:30 am.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:32 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parker14
Thanks for that useful piece of information.
One would assume they poster meant that now the Olypmics are over, hundreds of trades people are no longer desparately needed, so the influx has slowed down somewhat!

There are still trades coming over but though I think most are coming over using the skilled worker route (though obviously that option was closed off to some back on 26th June) Back in 2007 when we first came over, most came over on Temporary Work Permits, such was the demand for you trades people.

A good site to look at for info on whether you need to be licensed or not (along with lots more info) is http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/con...cid=1&lang=eng

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

daniel2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Im a plumber thinking of moving over to BC.
Any ideas on what is required with regards to job refrences and proving your hours in the field?Done 2 years since 3 year apprenticeship do you know if apprentice hours count towards total?
Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Parker
The fsw route with a confirmed offer of employment
is still available and fsw cat1 ( without job ) is still available to those on the revised 'list' although each occupation NOC on the list is capped at 1000 as I understand it.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure about plumbing, but have just read that apprenticeship years don't count towards the electrical Red Seal for the accrual of work experience. Have you applied for a visa yet?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks joinerboy,

I'm at the stage of waiting for a passport request or a rejection letter.
But useful info for anyone else thinking of applying.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daniel2412
Hi
Im a plumber thinking of moving over to BC.
Any ideas on what is required with regards to job refrences and proving your hours in the field?Done 2 years since 3 year apprenticeship do you know if apprentice hours count towards total?
Cheers
You require minimum of 1 years within the last 10 years in your chosen NOC, so 2 years experience will allow you to apply ( provided everything else stacks up )
Regards apprenticeship this will help with your education points.
Remember there are several requirements you need to meet before you can apply .
Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.