Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW PR Application: will I be granted PR if my spouse does? FSW Express Entry

FSW PR Application: will I be granted PR if my spouse does? FSW Express Entry

Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

mcurrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face FSW PR Application: will I be granted PR if my spouse does? FSW Express Entry

Hi all,

My husband and I are moving to Canada in January. He has a Working Holiday permit and a job offer, and I have just submitted an application for Working Holiday after being invited to apply.

We have begun a Express Entry FSW program application as we want to make our move to Canada permanent. My husband is eligible, with over 10 years skilled work experience, however I am not as I only graduated university in the last few years and have been mostly self employed since.

My question is this; should we be applying for PR together, with my husband as the principle applicant, or should he be applying himself and sponsoring me later? I can't find a clear answer on cic as to whether PR would be granted to us both, just him, or if having me on the application as an accompanying spouse would get us both turned down?

I have used cic's CRS tool to calculate his points with my spousal factors included he comes out as 530 (spousal factors points came out as 28).

We have both taken ILETS tests (scores were used to calculate this CRS score) and have both submitted our degrees to WES for assessment.

We are considering asking an immigration expert about this, but any input would be greatly appreciated! As we've started our appication, we have 16 days left to submit. Do you think submit with me on or take me off and go sponsorship route?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW PR Application: will I be granted PR if my spouse does? FSW Express Entry

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by mcurrid
My husband is eligible, with over 10 years skilled work experience, however I am not as I only graduated university in the last few years and have been mostly self employed since.
Just to clarify, being self-employed makes no difference, any skilled work experience counts, including that which you've done whilst self-employed.

My question is this; should we be applying for PR together, with my husband as the principle applicant, or should he be applying himself and sponsoring me later? I can't find a clear answer on cic as to whether PR would be granted to us both, just him, or if having me on the application as an accompanying spouse would get us both turned down?
You'd both get PR from the same application, no need to sponsor you (and he may not be able to anyway).

I have used cic's CRS tool to calculate his points with my spousal factors included he comes out as 530 (spousal factors points came out as 28).
That's super high! So assuming you've not included any points for the job offer in that (as you've not got a LMIA, so won't get points for it), you should definitely apply now as you would get an ITA in the next round at that points level.

We are considering asking an immigration expert about this, but any input would be greatly appreciated! As we've started our appication, we have 16 days left to submit. Do you think submit with me on or take me off and go sponsorship route?
No need to ask any immi expert, the CIC website has the answer - Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

mcurrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FSW PR Application: will I be granted PR if my spouse does? FSW Express Entry

Thanks so much for the reply!

Unfortunately I come out as NOC Levels C & D based on my work history, and only 2 years full time employment
I had included job offer in there (added 50 points) as his new employers have done an LMIA for him, hopefully that's ok.
Hopefully this is really really good news!
I had one other question, should we wait until we have our WES results before submitting the application? I've read somewhere else that we might be automatically declined if we haven't had educational assessments done..

Huge thanks christmasoompa!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you're ineligible until you've got your ECA's, so no point in applying without them.

Didn't realise you had a LMIA as well as the IEC, in which case, yes you'd get the 50 points for the job offer too, so definitely score enough.

Good luck!