Freelancer visiting Canada?

Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:20 am
Just Joined

watercool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freelancer visiting Canada?

Hi all,

I have close family in Ontario (both now Canadian citizens) and want to visit them in the next few months. I'd like to stay there for a while because I don't get to see them much. I have concluded that I can stay 6 months (border people allowing)

There are a few question marks though that I'm hoping someone can help me with or point me in the right direction?

I'm a freelancer/sole trader in the UK (graphic design/artist) and I'm in the middle of a project which has been paid for (by a UK firm). I would need to take my laptop with me and finish the work. I may also get more work from that firm whilst I'm in Canada. I also have an etsy shop where I sell prints etc. Someone in the Uk would post my orders out. Would I need a work visa for this?

I'm also an artist with an online prescence and I want to create art work whilst I'm over there (but not sell it) just to keep my social media and website up to date. How does that work?

I'm concerned that the authorities will think I'm going to accept work/money in Canada without a visa and not allow me entry. For the record I do not want to do anything illegal or to antagonise the Canadian government as my ambition is to immigrate to Canada in the future.

Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelancer visiting Canada?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

First thing to note is that as a UK citizen, you're given up to 6 months - it may only be two weeks! So don't assume you'll be given the full amount of time, particularly if you don't have any strong ties to the UK.

From what you've said, you can work without a work permit, see this page from the CIC website for full info - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t-is-work.html

HTH.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

watercool is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, yeah I should have said 'up to' 6 months, that's what I meant with the 'border people allowing'.

I have what I consider strong ties in the UK, my parents, my family, my dog! and established clients. Whether Canada will see them as that I do not know.

How do I proceed now? Do you need a special visa to stay for (up to) 6 months? I've been reading through the CIC website and unsure what I have to do, or what to do first. Last time I stayed in Canada for a while was through BUNAC so that was a different procedure. And now they've brought in the eTA which I haven't done before.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watercool
Sorry, yeah I should have said 'up to' 6 months, that's what I meant with the 'border people allowing'.

I have what I consider strong ties in the UK, my parents, my family, my dog! and established clients. Whether Canada will see them as that I do not know.

How do I proceed now? Do you need a special visa to stay for (up to) 6 months? I've been reading through the CIC website and unsure what I have to do, or what to do first. Last time I stayed in Canada for a while was through BUNAC so that was a different procedure. And now they've brought in the eTA which I haven't done before.
You need the eTA, but that's it. I'm not sure they'd be considered strong ties bearing in mind you're leaving them all behind for 6 months, but all you can do is go with plenty of proof of funds, proof of any ties etc, and hope you get given the max 6 months.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was given 3 months for my first visit to Canada. 6 months each trip since. You can always apply to extend once you're here if you get less than you'd like.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You need the eTA, but that's it. I'm not sure they'd be considered strong ties bearing in mind you're leaving them all behind for 6 months, but all you can do is go with plenty of proof of funds, proof of any ties etc, and hope you get given the max 6 months.

Good luck.
I’m not sure that those would be considered “strong” ties either, but you might not even be asked about them. Proof of adequate funds (already available on arrival, not based on ongoing remote work) and a return ticket might be enough.

In anecdotal experience, I’ve had many young (under 30) relatives visit over the years and only on 2 occasions have they been given less than 6 months on arrival: one was given 2 weeks, the other 3 months.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day the final decision will rest with the examining officer at the Port Of Entry on arriving in Canada once an eTA has been granted.
You could be asked to provide documentation etc or you could just be stamped in for 6 months with no questions asked.
Nobody on here including me can say for sure what will or won't happen.
The better prepared you are the easier it is.