Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Flagpoling AFTER sending inland app for TWP

Flagpoling AFTER sending inland app for TWP

Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flagpoling AFTER sending inland app for TWP

Hello,

Last November I sent my inland application to Vegreville to extend my work permit (based on provincial support due to being nominated PNP) Looking at the timelines for inland app's to Vegreville (108 days ), it seems I should hear something back Mid March...

Now - if that timeline changes it is possible I won't get my renewed permit back by the time my current permit expires in April (I realise I am on implied status, so I'm not particularly worried on that score). What does bother me is possibly having to pay OHIP expenses and claiming them back when my renewed permit comes through.

In light of this, should I not receive a response by the time my permit expires, can I flagpole with my PNP letter and renew at the border, even though I've already sent an inland application?

Any help / personal experience is gratefully received.

Thanks.
Wolst
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:58 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flagpoling AFTER sending inland app for TWP

Do you expect to be paying a lot of medical bills?

I should imagine if you end up in any sort of intensive care, they would not require immediate payment anyway, so doubt you'd have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Of course that is just my opinion, but given that;
* you are expecting to be retroactively covered by OHIP,
* you will be treated in an emergency even without any insurance, and
* GP visits can't cost *that* much over a 2 month period
I'd just wait for the new work permit.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BTJ
Do you expect to be paying a lot of medical bills?

I should imagine if you end up in any sort of intensive care, they would not require immediate payment anyway, so doubt you'd have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Of course that is just my opinion, but given that;
* you are expecting to be retroactively covered by OHIP,
* you will be treated in an emergency even without any insurance, and
* GP visits can't cost *that* much over a 2 month period
I'd just wait for the new work permit.
I've got two kids aged 1 and 3, and one on the way. So, I expect the unexpected... If it was just me, I wouldn't care!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:17 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I am not sure you need to Flagpole if you are a PNP.

There is a pdf at link below which states:

Applicants with valid temporary status in Canada
A foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa in the Provincial Nominee Class and who is a temporary resident in Canada must, to become a permanent resident, present their permanent resident visa to an officer at a port of entry or at a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) office in Canada (refer to R71.1). A foreign national outside Canada who has been issued a permanent resident visa must present their visa at a port of entry, upon entry to Canada, to become a permanent resident.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resour.../op07b-eng.pdf

It would not harm to call them, pdf states: Please contact CIC’s Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence.

This may be of no use at all, but I remembered reading somewhere that under certain cases/visa you dont have to flagpole.

If you do ring please post the outcome as it might help other people.

Cheers

JB

Last edited by JB0591; Feb 11th 2011 at 5:20 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JB0591
I am not sure you need to Flagpole if you are a PNP.

There is a pdf at link below which states:

Applicants with valid temporary status in Canada
A foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa in the Provincial Nominee Class and who is a temporary resident in Canada must, to become a permanent resident, present their permanent resident visa to an officer at a port of entry or at a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) office in Canada (refer to R71.1). A foreign national outside Canada who has been issued a permanent resident visa must present their visa at a port of entry, upon entry to Canada, to become a permanent resident.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resour.../op07b-eng.pdf

It would not harm to call them, pdf states: Please contact CIC’s Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence.

This may be of no use at all, but I remembered reading somewhere that under certain cases/visa you dont have to flagpole.

If you do ring please post the outcome as it might help other people.

Cheers

JB
The OP hasn't been issued a PR visa. S/he has a work permit to be extended.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:39 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Oopps missed that, thanks.

Still dont get why you have to flagpole if you are in country legally.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Oopps missed that, thanks.

Still dont get why you have to flagpole if you are in country legally.
You don't have to, it's just often faster than sending off for a new work permit with an extension application if you already have an LMO in hand.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
You don't have to, it's just often faster than sending off for a new work permit with an extension application if you already have an LMO in hand.
Exactly. Vegreville takes 108 days. Flag poling takes 4 hours.

I did try and Flag pole last October when I got my nomination certificate, but the CBSA officer said he couldn't do it as my work permit isn't expiring till April, and I must send an application to Vegreville. I got the impression though that if my work permit had been expiring the next day, he would have done it.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way JB0591 - I have that picture of the London bus hanging on my dining room wall
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't suppose anyone out there can answer my original question?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by wolstie
Don't suppose anyone out there can answer my original question?

You could and as long as you get a co-operative IO, shouldn't have a problem. Some have reported that they were told to wait or apply through Vegreville, as the Border were not staffed for processing in-Canada applications for Work/Study permits.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You could and as long as you get a co-operative IO, shouldn't have a problem. Some have reported that they were told to wait or apply through Vegreville, as the Border were not staffed for processing in-Canada applications for Work/Study permits.

Thanks PMM.

I called CIC today and they said they 'advise against it'. Don't particularly want to take the chance!