Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Flag polling from US back into Canada

Flag polling from US back into Canada

Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

NRHLethbridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flag polling from US back into Canada

Hi folks - we are wondering if Flag polling is a good idea or not as they will issue an administrative refusal to enter the US and this used to be considered a bad move for future admission - would you advise against flag polling or is it ok ?

Many thanks for any info/ advice !
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flag polling from US back into Canada

Well from the number of people on this site that have done it I can only assume it’s more than an okay thing to do.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NRHLethbridge
Hi folks - we are wondering if Flag polling is a good idea or not as they will issue an administrative refusal to enter the US and this used to be considered a bad move for future admission - would you advise against flag polling or is it ok ?

Many thanks for any info/ advice !
Now judging by your username you might be hailing from Alberta. Thousands have flag poled by getting an Administrative Refusal and never had problems. Others have but Im guessing not in the thousands.
You can always enter under the I94 waiver if UK citizens and go somewhere for the day or choose the AR and not enter.
Some choose to do the landing at their nearest CIC (IRCC) office but you would need to make an appointment. If you have a fair bit of time left before your COPR expires then make an appointment. If in a rush then flag pole.

My own personal experience is a AR is not as drastic as portrayed or rumoured.

Your choice in the end.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys !

I guess we will bite the bullet and flag pole then !
We did the overnight stay thing when I landed with my younger son - now my older boy is also finally here we are struggling with our busy schedule to fit in a weekend trip to activate his PR - he is keen to get his learners so he needs his proof of PR and he wants a Saturday job so needs his SI number hence the urgency to get it done !
We’ll be driving to the boarder this evening as it’s only an hour away for us !

Much appreciated ...fingers crossed !

Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Well it’s all done !

Took less than 10 minutes to stamp his papers and dance around the flag pole !

Off to Service Canada in town to get his SI number tomorrow - official PR card will take up to 90 days to arrive though.

Relief at last
Old Dec 6th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NRHLethbridge
official PR card will take up to 90 days to arrive though.
If you are lucky, I have been waiting 92 days (they requested new photos for no good reason at 41 days). Rang the Centre about a week ago now and was told they were dealing with new photo requests received up to Nov 5.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Oh boy ! That sucks - I hope you get sorted soon ! My son’s photos are only 6 months old so hopefully they are still good !