The first steps...

Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

stesimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The first steps...

I want to emigrate to Canada, but I have no idea where to begin or what the costs are going to be or anything.

I am only 20 years old but I filled in the questionaire on the immigration website and passed, I am a qualified electrician here in the uk where I live.

The only qualification I have is my city and guilds 2330 but I have been working for the past 4 years as an electrician and even had my own van and stuff.

I plan on doing a few more courses because I know this is going to take along time, I am just wondering roughly how long does it take to complete the whole process, what is the typical cost of all this.

AND WHERE DO I BEGIN!

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS I know I am young but me and my partner are engaged and have been toghether for 4 years and want to do this toghether, she is also a qualified dental nurse.

Any info on rates of pay and such is welcome even though I do have a basic idea of what to expect.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:50 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The first steps...

Originally Posted by stesimo
I want to emigrate to Canada, but I have no idea where to begin or what the costs are going to be or anything.

I am only 20 years old but I filled in the questionaire on the immigration website and passed, I am a qualified electrician here in the uk where I live.

The only qualification I have is my city and guilds 2330 but I have been working for the past 4 years as an electrician and even had my own van and stuff.

I plan on doing a few more courses because I know this is going to take along time, I am just wondering roughly how long does it take to complete the whole process, what is the typical cost of all this.

AND WHERE DO I BEGIN!

PS I know I am young but me and my partner are engaged and have been toghether for 4 years and want to do this toghether, she is also a qualified dental nurse.

Any info on rates of pay and such is welcome even though I do have a basic idea of what to expect.
Welcome to the BE community. Take a mooch through the following and then if you have any questions, ask away.

Bunac is one option, also look to an an industry training authority in your province of choice if you want to work as an electrician. If you have the qualifying hours (9000 I believe) you can challenge the exam for a Canadian certification. Its all in here http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]

also these
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_Guide_to_Canadian_Immigration
and this
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_Job_Hunting_Instructions-Canada
and this
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thankyou very much!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Can anybody share any experience with how long it took them, and also any good sites to look for a job.

Im possibly ideal in terms of time as I no longer have a house, im 20 years old we have no children, we both have jobs on "the list" both medically fit and healthy.

Its all very exciting im glad I found this website
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:49 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

This gives some info re jobs, what qualifications etc are needed and average rates of pay for the different provinces, helps to give you an idea

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...11&province=35
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:51 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

The first step is to establish which route you can use in order to gain your visas, then start to narrow down your search to which area of Canada you are interested in, have you visited before?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:53 pm

As aviator mentioned BUNAC could work well, to give you a chance to come and see Canada for a year and have the flexibility to have an open work permit which will allow you to take any job in that time.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

I have not visited yet, I do plan on doing a recce trip but seriously I know im going to enjoy it as I am quite an adventerous person everything ive read about the place just makes me want to do it more and more.

I qualify as a skilled person though I will look at the link you posted thanks
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:15 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Can anybody share any experience with how long it took them, and also any good sites to look for a job.

Im possibly ideal in terms of time as I no longer have a house, im 20 years old we have no children, we both have jobs on "the list" both medically fit and healthy.

Its all very exciting im glad I found this website
Hi Stesimo,

Welcome to expats!

In response to your question, it took us just under 4 years to emigrate but that was under the old system and now I believe (from seeing on here) that under the newer system that it is a lot quicker (someone I saw posted it had taken them around 9 months - although all cases are different).

Regarding jobs, well, there are different job websites you can look at such as jobbank, wowjobs, moster etc. There is something that is known as the hidden job market here which is that a lot of jobs and I'm told good jobs are just simply not advertised, therefore, contacting these businesses/companies/organisations can sometimes lead to results. Also it has been said on here that sometimes Canadian employers seem to favour people phoning them/contacting them about work - whereas in the UK most people would find this embarrasing to do! this has worked for some people and has resulted in work.

Good luck with it all
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

AND WHERE DO I BEGIN!

Hi
Welcome
I can see you have already been given some good sound advice by other members so i'll wish you good luck with your journey
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Have you served an apprenticeship? This will count towards your educational points tally. If you have just completed C & G 2330 and nothing else then you are not really a qualified Electrician. You will need employment references and a proven work history, even more so (history) if self-employed, to qualify for FSW visa. It took me eleven months to get mine under the new "fast track" system.

Good luck though.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I have completed an apprenticeship well I was an apprentice for 3 years, then I just worked on my own.

I am paying for my 17th edition and 2391 aswell so I will have those quals also.

I havent done my nvq 3 though but I am on an nvq 3 course atm I just got made redundant 2 weeks ago
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have completed an apprenticeship well I was an apprentice for 3 years, then I just worked on my own.

I am paying for my 17th edition and 2391 aswell so I will have those quals also.

I havent done my nvq 3 though but I am on an nvq 3 course atm I just got made redundant 2 weeks ago
Hi
Have you checked to see if your points stack up ok
67 is what's required
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I got 68 points lol
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I got 68 points lol
Hi
Double no triple check your points and then be certain 'you' can back up all the detail 'you' have / will provide on the application forms, when I applied for my PR visa back in March 09 I was self-employed. Education points can be the section within the application forms where people can get confused. Points in this section can make or brake many an application.
As long as 'you' have the minimum points and 1 years exp' in the last 10 yrs and your on the new list your in with a fair chance
Later in the process you'll to prove minimum funds / clear police check / pass medical. I also understand each occupation on the post 26/06 list has just 1000 places via fsw cat1 route plus I understand 'you' now need to pass and English test also.
Hope it goes well for you

Last edited by joinerboy; Aug 15th 2010 at 4:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.