Filling in immigration forms

Old Jan 29th 2001, 11:44 am
ppickfor

Hi,

Our family (myself, wife and two daughters) are in the process of immigrating to Canada
from the UK under independent classification. We intend to land in Vancouver as we think
the area is beautiful, has a temperate climate and I have relatives on Vancouver island.

I am a unix systems and administrator looking at the NOC list at
http://www.on.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ottawa/menu/occnoc.stm it seems that NOC: 2162 - Computer
Systems Analysts seems to fit my experience as a significant part of my role involves
other duties than programming (2163).

I have discovered that the the pdf forms on
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/eindepen.html can be filled in with acrobat or acrobat
reader. The files on http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/forms/immforms.htm can't be filled
in using acrobat.

The Canadian high commission site in London
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/forms/immforms.htm has an additional form immsum.pdf is
the required and if so where can I get a copy with form fields so that it can be filled in
with acrobat?

The forms seem mostly straight forward but I am unsure of one or two points.

The instructions say to enter all places that you have lived since you were 18 does this
include addresses from when studying away from home in term time but still living at home?

As I have been contracting since 1995 I have been employed by my own limited company and
performed many assignments. When listing employment should I enter my own company or each
of the assignments. The references I am providing to demonstrate experience will be from
contacting assignments so I am wondering if this would confuse an immigration officer if
the references and employment companies don't match. Also should all salaries be
converted to Canadian dollars and should the salary be minimum maximum or average? Do I
need to get supporting evidence for all jobs I have had? One company I worked for has
ceased to trade though I could for instance get a personal reference from friend and
colleague that also worked at the same place. My current plan is to get reference and
experience letters back to 1996.

Can someone confirm what I should enter as the funds that I am taking to Canada? The
application kit notes say to include the value of property but not personal assets such as
cars. In the debts and obligations field do I enter a mortgage or do I subtract this prom
the property value? As I plan to sell my car why isn't this regarded as an asset I also
have an endowment that I will surrender when immigration so I believe I should list this
as an asset along with personal savings.

In terms of evidence of links to canada I am arranging a bank account with National
Bank of Canada who have offices in London so that I can open an account while still in
the UK. We are all doing as much reading about Canada as we can and I have Vancouver
papers sent to
me. I have contacted CIPS at www.cips.ca to see with a view to joining and becoming
certified.

Job hunting without a visa seems a little problematic. There seems to be a no visa no
point applying attitude which is fair enough as employers need people to do things now not
necessarily in 6 - 12 months time. However does anyone know of any immigrant friendly
agencies or companies that will look at a resume and reply that they have a need for the
skills contained in it even if they cant make an offer, at least that would show that the
potential for employment is there.

My current resume is basically a chronological list of the assignments I have had. I am
advised that the Canadian market prefers a more descriptive and functional resume can
anyone comment on what is successful.

Accommodation doesn't seem to be a problem other than it is expensive I was thinking of
renting for the first 6 months to 1 year www.aptrentans.net and www.rew.bc.ca gave us
some ideas.

I decided to use an immigration consultant but other than point us in the right direction
and check that the application is complete and correct I am not sure what benefit they
are. My reason for using an immigration consultancy was they my wife had cervical cancer 5
years ago. Our doctor has written a letter to say that since her operation all the tests
has had have proved negative. As past medical conditions are not counted as reasons for
being inadmissible she should not be medically inadmissible, I will still be a little
worried until we receive our visa though.

I hope that some of the contents of this message are useful to others and that someone can
clarify some of the points that I am still unsure of.

Many Thanks

Peter

Old Jan 29th 2001, 6:52 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

In reply to your inquiries:

You must provide addresses of all places that you have lived, including places when you
were studying, since the age of 18.

With respect to your work experience, you can indicate that you were self-employed in your
own company. Providing references from clients or customers of yours is aceptable.
Salaries should be converted to Canadian dollars. You must provide an itemized list of all
employment in the past 10 years.

If a company is no longer in business, you can provide a letter to CIC indicating that you
are unable to obtain an employment references because the company has been dissolved.

With respect to funds available to settle in Canada, as a guideline CIC would like to see
$10,000 for the principal applicant and $2,000 for each dependent. A mortage is a debt or
liability which should be itemized.

Personal savings are considered monies that are held in a bank account, not a
motor vehicle.

In seeking employment in Canada, you may want to post your resume at the following
employment websites:

www.jobsonline. www.monster.com www.workapolis.com

For information on medical inadmissibility issues go to
http://www.webimmigration.com/medicadmis.html

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> Hi,
>
> Our family (myself, wife and two daughters) are in the process of immigrating to Canada
> from the UK under independent classification. We intend to land in Vancouver as we think
> the area is beautiful, has a temperate climate and I have relatives on Vancouver island.
>
> I am a unix systems and administrator looking at the NOC list at
> http://www.on.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ottawa/menu/occnoc.stm it seems that NOC: 2162 - Computer
> Systems Analysts seems to fit my experience as a significant part of my role involves
> other duties than programming (2163).
>
> I have discovered that the the pdf forms on
> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/coming/eindepen.html can be filled in with acrobat or
> acrobat reader. The files on http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/forms/immforms.htm can't
> be filled in using acrobat.
>
> The Canadian high commission site in London
> http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/forms/immforms.htm has an additional form immsum.pdf
> is the required and if so where can I get a copy with form fields so that it can be
> filled in with acrobat?
>
> The forms seem mostly straight forward but I am unsure of one or two points.
>
> The instructions say to enter all places that you have lived since you were 18 does
> this include addresses from when studying away from home in term time but still living
> at home?
>
> As I have been contracting since 1995 I have been employed by my own limited company and
> performed many assignments. When listing employment should I enter my own company or
> each of the assignments. The references I am providing to demonstrate experience will be
> from contacting assignments so I am wondering if this would confuse an immigration
> officer if the references and employment companies don't match. Also should all salaries
> be converted to Canadian dollars and should the salary be minimum maximum or average? Do
> I need to get supporting evidence for all jobs I have had? One company I worked for has
> ceased to trade though I could for instance get a personal reference from friend and
> colleague that also worked at the same place. My current plan is to get reference and
> experience letters back to 1996.
>
> Can someone confirm what I should enter as the funds that I am taking to Canada? The
> application kit notes say to include the value of property but not personal assets such
> as cars. In the debts and obligations field do I enter a mortgage or do I subtract this
> prom the property value? As I plan to sell my car why isn't this regarded as an asset I
> also have an endowment that I will surrender when immigration so I believe I should list
> this as an asset along with personal savings.
>
> In terms of evidence of links to canada I am arranging a bank account with National
> Bank of Canada who have offices in London so that I can open an account while still in
> the UK. We are all doing as much reading about Canada as we can and I have Vancouver
> papers sent to
> me. I have contacted CIPS at www.cips.ca to see with a view to joining and becoming
> certified.
>
> Job hunting without a visa seems a little problematic. There seems to be a no visa no
> point applying attitude which is fair enough as employers need people to do things now
> not necessarily in 6 - 12 months time. However does anyone know of any immigrant
> friendly agencies or companies that will look at a resume and reply that they have a
> need for the skills contained in it even if they cant make an offer, at least that would
> show that the potential for employment is there.
>
> My current resume is basically a chronological list of the assignments I have had. I am
> advised that the Canadian market prefers a more descriptive and functional resume can
> anyone comment on what is successful.
>
> Accommodation doesn't seem to be a problem other than it is expensive I was thinking of
> renting for the first 6 months to 1 year www.aptrentans.net and www.rew.bc.ca gave us
> some ideas.
>
> I decided to use an immigration consultant but other than point us in the right
> direction and check that the application is complete and correct I am not sure what
> benefit they are. My reason for using an immigration consultancy was they my wife had
> cervical cancer 5 years ago. Our doctor has written a letter to say that since her
> operation all the tests has had have proved negative. As past medical conditions are not
> counted as reasons for being inadmissible she should not be medically inadmissible, I
> will still be a little worried until we receive our visa though.
>
> I hope that some of the contents of this message are useful to others and that someone
> can clarify some of the points that I am still unsure of.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Peter