Federal Court

Old Jan 29th 2001, 3:57 am
Nick

Hello

My friend was refused to issue visitor visa in Moscow Consulate due to "the reasons of
visit are not sufficient". We do not agree with this and plan to appeal to Federal Court
(I reside in Canada). Does anybody know what is procedure of doing this, how long it might
take and do I need a lawyer?

Thanks, Nick

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:07 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Dear Nick:

Your friend must file an appeal to the Federal Court within 30 days of receiving notice
that he was refused for a visitor visa.

The cost of an appeal will be around $5,000 or more and may take several months to
schedule a court date.

It may just be easier for your friend to reapply for a visitor visa.

Section 8 of the Immigration Act provides that the burden of proof of establishing that a
person has a right to come into Canada rests with the person seeking admission to Canada.
Section 9 of the Immigration Act provides that a person who applies to a visa officer is
presumed to be an immigrant. Therefore, failure to satisfy a visa officer that you are
entering Canada temporarily will result in refusal of the application.

It is essential that an applicant provide sufficient documentary evidence to satisfy the
visa officer that he or she has sufficient funds to pay for all expenses that might be
incurred while in Canada.

If the person is visiting relatives, and if the relatives are going to assume
responsibility for the expenses incurred by the visiting relative in Canada, it would be
necessary to have a letter or statutory declaration from the relative setting out
responsibility for all expenses.

In addition, the relative must also indicate that he or she has the necessary resources,
and it would be helpful if the relative includes a job letter, bank statements, etc.

The applicant and all dependants must be in possession of valid and subsisting passports
or travel documents. Visas will not be issued beyond the validity date set out in the
passport and a person cannot be admitted to Canada at a port of entry by an immigration
officer for a period that exceeds the expiry date of the passport.

For applicants who reside outside of North America, it may be necessary to satisfy the
visa officer that the applicant has a valid and subsisting airline ticket or proof of
funds for travel. One of the primary concerns of the visa officer is whether the applicant
has the means and ability to leave Canada within the time period.

As one of the primary concerns of the visa officer is whether the applicant will return to
their home country at the end of the visit, it is therefore important to illustrate that
the applicant has strong ties to their home country. Documentation showing that the person
has full-time permanent employment, length of employment, proof of assets including house,
bank accounts, will be important.

For more information on visitor visas to Canada go to
http://www.webimmigration.com/requirevisitorvisa.html

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> Hello
>
> My friend was refused to issue visitor visa in Moscow Consulate due to "the reasons of
> visit are not sufficient". We do not agree with this and plan to appeal to Federal Court
> (I reside in Canada). Does anybody know what is procedure of doing this, how long it
> might take and do I need a lawyer?
>
> Thanks, Nick