Failed to Fulfil PR obligations

Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed to Fulfil PR obligations

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi all,
many thanks to all who replies and pm us .We have decided to go through the H & C route failing that then we still have time to sponsor Lewis as the age limit has been increased to 21.

Art and Family
A PR cannot make a H & C application, presumably your son would have to relinquish his PR status first? One still has PR status, even failing to meet the residency requirements, or an expired PR card does not cancel PR.

I am with Christmas on this one. Your son had PR, chose to leave the country for education and work in the UK. Now an adult (21) has decided he would like to come back to Canada, but has failed to (voluntarily) meet the residency requirements. He survived in the UK by himself, nor suffering persecution. If he were a m minor or had a wife and children living here, that would put is a different perspective on it, as it would cause emotional suffering.

As an adult he is in a situation of his own making. At worst it would be upsetting. There is always a chance, but I would think and H & C has little chance of success.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 7th 2018 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aviator,I have been informed that he can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document Application citing H&C Factors.Also on the IRCC website in the Policy section it say's clients should not be counselled to renounce their Permanent Resident status. That they may be given the various options open to them but that clients shouldn't be encouraged to choose one option over the other.
Its a long shot but one of two options open to us.This way is easier and cheaper ,we definitely can sponsor him so we have no issues there.

Thanks for your reply.
Art & Family

Originally Posted by Aviator
A PR cannot make a H & C application, presumably your son would have to relinquish his PR status first? One still has PR status, even failing to meet the residency requirements, or an expired PR card does not cancel PR.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Aviator,I have been informed that he can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document Application citing H&C Factors.Also on the IRCC website in the Policy section it say's clients should not be counselled to renounce their Permanent Resident status. That they may be given the various options open to them but that clients shouldn't be encouraged to choose one option over the other.
Its a long shot but one of two options open to us.This way is easier and cheaper ,we definitely can sponsor him so we have no issues there.

Thanks for your reply.
Art & Family
1. Okay so he applies for PRTD and is refused. Does he intend to appeal the decision? If so, by the time he gets to the Appeal stage at the IRB he will be over 22, (there is about 18 months or so to get to the appeal stage)
2. If he loses the Appeal, then he can't be sponsored as he will have aged out.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PMM;12413314]Hi

Hi Pmm,If it gets rejected or the wait time is to excessive then we will withdraw the application and go down the sponsorship
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.
Art & Family
Quoting CIC
'You may not apply for H&C consideration if you:
  • are a Canadian citizen,
  • a permanent resident'
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...derations.html

How does one get around this if a person has PR and does not renounce it?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Quoting CIC
'You may not apply for H&C consideration if you:
  • are a Canadian citizen,
  • a permanent resident'
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...derations.html

How does one get around this if a person has PR and does not renounce it?
The page you're looking at is for people who wish to become PRs. If you are already a PR, or citizen, you cannot become one this way (or any way).

This is not the same as people applying for a PR Travel Document (which by definition is only done by PRs). H&C is one of the reasons people can use to explain their lack of compliance with the Residency Obligation (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html).
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello all , I am not an expert and that is why I have came on here to figure out a course of action.
I have been informed that it is possible for us to appeal for an extension to his PR , If we can prove exceptional circumstances .
Cheeky Monkey I believe did the exact same thing for her daughter and two ircc consultants have also confirmed this can be done.I have also spoken in depth to an Immigration Officer who has said it is possible to go down this road.
As you know I am no expert in this and I am just hoping that this works out rather than going through the sponsor route.

Cheers
Art and Family
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all , I am not an expert and that is why I have came on here to figure out a course of action.
I have been informed that it is possible for us to appeal for an extension to his PR , If we can prove exceptional circumstances .
Cheeky Monkey I believe did the exact same thing for her daughter and two ircc consultants have also confirmed this can be done.I have also spoken in depth to an Immigration Officer who has said it is possible to go down this road.
As you know I am no expert in this and I am just hoping that this works out rather than going through the sponsor route.

Cheers
Art and Family
On a technical level, he could request a PRTD to allow him to travel to Canada and continue as a PR, despite not meeting the RO, on humanitarian & compassionate grounds. The link for that is directly above.

On a practival level, he will need to prove as part of this:
provide proof that there are compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your personal circumstances that justify keeping your permanent resident status;
describe why you were not able to meet the residency obligation;
describe the extent of any hardship the loss of residency status would cause to:
yourself;
family members who would be directly affected by this decision; and
the best interests of any child directly affected by this decision, if this applies to you.
"I wanted to do a qualification over several years in another country that won't be recognised in Canada, and then I promise I'll move to Canada once I've done it" is an extremely weak case to try to argue he meets the requirements.

If he wanted to live in Canada (which his actions strongly suggest he doesn't), he should have chosen to move back earlier, when he chose not to. His choice as an adult is relevant here. If he's now changed his mind, the most likely course for success is to renounce his status, and be re-sponsored while he can be.

The choice is his and yours, although I can't imagine why you'd go for the very unlikely appeal over the very likely sponsorship.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for your helpful advice .

Cheers
Arty and Family
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
On a technical level, he could request a PRTD to allow him to travel to Canada and continue as a PR, despite not meeting the RO, on humanitarian & compassionate grounds. The link for that is directly above.

On a practival level, he will need to prove as part of this:

"I wanted to do a qualification over several years in another country that won't be recognised in Canada, and then I promise I'll move to Canada once I've done it" is an extremely weak case to try to argue he meets the requirements.

If he wanted to live in Canada (which his actions strongly suggest he doesn't), he should have chosen to move back earlier, when he chose not to. His choice as an adult is relevant here. If he's now changed his mind, the most likely course for success is to renounce his status, and be re-sponsored while he can be.

The choice is his and yours, although I can't imagine why you'd go for the very unlikely appeal over the very likely sponsorship.
The young adult in question has to make his own choices, and accept responsibility for those choices. Reading the thread I am not sure if this is a case of him actually wanting to live in Canada, or OP wanting him to live in Canada.

If he doesn't want to live in Canada - if this does get sorted, you are going to be in the same situation just a few years down the track from now.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carcajou
The young adult in question has to make his own choices, and accept responsibility for those choices. Reading the thread I am not sure if this is a case of him actually wanting to live in Canada, or OP wanting him to live in Canada.

If he doesn't want to live in Canada - if this does get sorted, you are going to be in the same situation just a few years down the track from now.
As his father I can assure you that he wants to come over , that wasn’t the case 3 years back .He also has never missed a Christmas ,Easter or Summer holidays since we arrived in August 2014.
Things change that’s the way of the world and we just have to dust ourselves down and get on with it.Rightly or wrongly I am there to pick up the pieces.
To be honest I firmly believe that his apprenticeship will definetly reap rewards for him in the future.I am fortunate enough to have the right contacts to get him into the Oil and Gas industry and his trade will work out well for him.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If he has a PR card that is still 'valid' and in his possession, then he can't apply for a PRTD.

I understand about 'mind changing' and youth, lol. It took me 3 years to persuade my son to go on my PR application - he was adamant he didn't want to come to Canada - and CIC received the application 1 week before his 22nd birthday. He now says it's the best thing he ever did and has been happily living here for 7 years.

I'd suggest he return to Canada asap and then you can determine the easiest and quickest way for him to stay in Canada - which, in honesty, I feel would be for him to relinquish his PR status and you reapply to sponsor him. I suppose, theoretically, if he remained in Canada for a couple of years he would then be able to apply for a new PR card - once he has reached the minimum time to qualify for retention of PR status.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2018 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'd suggest he return to Canada asap...I suppose, theoretically, if he remained in Canada for a couple of years he would then be able to apply for a new PR card - once he has reached the minimum time to qualify for retention of PR status...
I was surprised how long it took for this to come up as it seems to be suggested every time there's a similar thread.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

As his father I can assure you that he wants to come over , that wasn’t the case 3 years back .He also has never missed a Christmas ,Easter or Summer holidays since we arrived in August 2014.
Things change that’s the way of the world and we just have to dust ourselves down and get on with it.Rightly or wrongly I am there to pick up the pieces.
To be honest I firmly believe that his apprenticeship will definetly reap rewards for him in the future.I am fortunate enough to have the right contacts to get him into the Oil and Gas industry and his trade will work out well for him.

Is he actually qualified to work in Canada, having only just finished a 3 year apprenticeship?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:54 pm

I firmly believe that his apprenticeship will definetly reap rewards for him in the future.I am fortunate enough to have the right contacts to get him into the Oil and Gas industry and his trade will work out well for him.
No doubt it will. However to work in a regulated trade, he would need to challenge the exam in Canada, once he has sufficient provable work hours. Hours required to challenge are 1.5 x the number of hours required for the apprenticeship, 7000 to 9000. The alternative is to take the apprenticeship again in Canada. It will take several years working under supervision before he could challenge the provincial exam. There is no bypassing this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.