Extension in PR Card

Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

maheshahujaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extension in PR Card

My PR card is expired in Jan 2010. Candian Embassay in Pakistan is issuing me travel document. If I reach on that document, what are chances of renewal of my PR Card. I initially visited Canada in December 2004 for 15 days to get my PR Card and Social Security Card.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extension in PR Card

Originally Posted by maheshahujaa
My PR card is expired in Jan 2010. Candian Embassay in Pakistan is issuing me travel document. If I reach on that document, what are chances of renewal of my PR Card. I initially visited Canada in December 2004 for 15 days to get my PR Card and Social Security Card.
If your card has expired but you've maintained your PR status then it's no problem. If however, you've not spent 2 years in Canada since 'landing' and activating PR, then you've lost your PR status and cannot reclaim it without a very good reason (i.e. you've been in a coma for the past 5 years).
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been outside of Canada since December 2004?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If your card has expired but you've maintained your PR status then it's no problem. If however, you've not spent 2 years in Canada since 'landing' and activating PR, then you've lost your PR status and cannot reclaim it without a very good reason (i.e. you've been in a coma for the past 5 years).
Always a good idea to figure this sort of thing out before it's too late to deal with it! Which it seems on the face of it, it is.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:24 am
Just Joined

maheshahujaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Have you been outside of Canada since December 2004?
Yes - In Fact December 2005
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Were you accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse? If not, then you've lost your Permanent Residency status, so will have to apply again if you now wish to move to Canada.

This Wiki article may help explain it......http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:04 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

As Christmassoompa says, unless you were in the company of your husband/wife who is a Canadian citizen, you will have lost your PR status so will be unable to extend anything.

You should have remained in Canada for at least 2 years since 2005.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:32 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

It appears that you haven't met the residency obligation to retain PR status. But the High Commission will make that determination when you apply for your travel document.

If CHC decides that you've lost your status, you will not receive a travel document. You can apply for a limited travel document to appeal the decision in Canada if that happens, but you'd need a successful appeal to renew your PR card.

CHC will approve your application if you've met the residency obligation or qualify for an exception. In that case, it would be surprising (but not impossible) for CIC to reverse the decision when you apply for a new PR card in Canada.

If you know which situation applies to you, you can provide more information and might get a better answer.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
It appears that you haven't met the residency obligation to retain PR status. But the High Commission will make that determination when you apply for your travel document.

If CHC decides that you've lost your status, you will not receive a travel document. You can apply for a limited travel document to appeal the decision in Canada if that happens, but you'd need a successful appeal to renew your PR card.

CHC will approve your application if you've met the residency obligation or qualify for an exception. In that case, it would be surprising (but not impossible) for CIC to reverse the decision when you apply for a new PR card in Canada.

If you know which situation applies to you, you can provide more information and might get a better answer.
CIC/CHC will not issue a travel document to appeal the loss of residency, unless the OP has been in Canada in the previous year. The appeal to the IAD would either be done in writing or in a conference call.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:10 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
CIC/CHC will not issue a travel document to appeal the loss of residency, unless the OP has been in Canada in the previous year. The appeal to the IAD would either be done in writing or in a conference call.
You're quite right. I promise to pay more attention in future.

It looks as though IAD *can* still grant permission to travel, though I've no idea how often that actually happens.

Last edited by cornmatthew; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:17 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Please inform us what is the result of your application.

If you manage to enter Canada (after being ouf of the country for more than two years) and then live there for more than 4 years, can you still be deported? Although you didnt lie to the immigration officer when you reenter the country.

Also, I would like also to know what type of question will the officers ask, shouldn't they just let the PR Card holder to pass without questioning?

Cheers
ddk
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didik
Please inform us what is the result of your application.

If you manage to enter Canada (after being ouf of the country for more than two years) and then live there for more than 4 years, can you still be deported? Although you didnt lie to the immigration officer when you reenter the country.

Also, I would like also to know what type of question will the officers ask, shouldn't they just let the PR Card holder to pass without questioning?

Cheers
ddk
See 7.2 & 7.3 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:47 am
Just Joined

benjyp10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If you completed 1 yr in Canada had to leave and want to return within the 5 years, and your PR card is still valid is that OK. Mine expires in Nov 2012, so need to complete another 12 months before that date?

I.e I need to be back before Nov 2011?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by benjyp10
Hi,

If you completed 1 yr in Canada had to leave and want to return within the 5 years, and your PR card is still valid is that OK. Mine expires in Nov 2012, so need to complete another 12 months before that date?

I.e I need to be back before Nov 2011?

Thanks
So long as you accumulate 2 years or more living in Canada in the previous 5 you have fulfilled your residency obligation. If you have not you will lose PR. If you have resided for one year in the past 5 (regardless of card expiration date) you have not met the residency obligation to retain PR.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

benjyp10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
So long as you accumulate 2 years or more living in Canada in the previous 5 you have fulfilled your residency obligation. If you have not you will lose PR. If you have resided for one year in the past 5 (regardless of card expiration date) you have not met the residency obligation to retain PR.
Thanks for quick reply. Much appreciated...