Extending visitor visa

Old Feb 8th 2001, 11:56 pm
bigboxer

What if a visitor to Canada is granted a 1 month visit upon entry, although they're visa
is good for 6 months on paper, can they apply right away for an extension? I understand
the extension takes 1 month to process? Is this possible?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 5:29 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

You can apply for a visitor visa extension. However, it is best to submit your application
as soon as possible.

For more information on immigration to Canada go to www.webimmigration.com

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> What if a visitor to Canada is granted a 1 month visit upon entry, although they're visa
> is good for 6 months on paper, can they apply right away for an extension? I understand
> the extension takes 1 month to process? Is this possible?

Old Feb 19th 2001, 7:24 am
White Zombie

> What if a visitor to Canada is granted a 1 month visit upon entry, although they're visa
> is good for 6 months on paper, can they apply right away for an extension? I understand
> the extension takes 1 month to process? Is this possible?

If you are admitted to Canada under normal circumstances with a stamp in your passport,
this stamp is good for 6 months, notwithstanding your original intent was to leave
after 1 month.

Only after 6 months are you required to extend your stay, and this is done by applying to
Immigration from within Canada (inland reporting).

The case is similar for those admitted on student visas ... application is made from
within Canada for an extension.

When I say 'normal' circumstances, this presumes you are admitted by a customs or
immigration officer on arrival, and that you were not subject to any kind of wiaver,
minister's permit, or other documented entry.

WZ