Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Extending an ETA While Being Sponsored

Extending an ETA While Being Sponsored

Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Carol Spruce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending an ETA While Being Sponsored

Hello. I am a Canadian citizen and we are applying for my British spouse to have permanent citizenship via a spousal sponsorship. He arrived on a 5 month visit which expires September 7th (ETA). Does he need to apply for an extension to the visit? Please advise and thank you.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending an ETA While Being Sponsored

How long does he want to stay for?
The eTA is usually valid for 5 years but that doesn't mean the person can stay for 5 years.
Visitors are normally given up to 6 months stay with just the stamp in their passport. Anybody wishing to stay for over 6 months is usually issued a visitor record for the length of stay requested. If wishing to stay longer they need to apply for an extension of their stay by applying online before their stay expires
Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

The eTA is only a travel authorization to fly into Canada and has no bearing on how long the person can stay.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this... we are completing the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor form. He wants to become a permanent resident, through a spousal sponsorship (me). He has the ETA, as I mentioned - I looked through his passport and there is no stamp indicating a date he must leave by, but I believe the ETA expires September 7th. We are submitting the spousal sponsorship package August 10th (we are waiting on some attachments); I believe he is allowed to stay while the sponsorship is being processed; however, we don't want to be in a situation where he is here without permission. On the Application to Change form we ticked "Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit".. hoping this is correct, as there is no box for "Extension of visitor permit". Any further input is most welcome
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If he was not given a date by which to leave then it's usually six months from the date of entry but you'll have to prove it when you extend status so does he have any entry stamp?

The eTA is not relevant. That is an electronic authorization allowing a person to travel to Canada and show up at the border asking to be admitted. They are linked to a passport and generally valid for 5 years or the duration of the passport whichever is sooner.

If you are submitting a spousal by the Spouse In Canada Class you can apply for a work permit at the same time but will need to be able to prove current valid status at the time of application.

PS he is NOT applying for a Temporary Resident Permit that is ONLY in cases of inadmissibility.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 28th 2017 at 12:59 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, Snowy. We are completing the Application to Change Conditions, Extend Stay or Remain in Canada etc. form, and I have ticked "Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor"... hoping that is correct. Now that we have the marriage certificate we are good to go for the spousal sponsorship. For a while I was confused as to whether we needed to do the extension, as we are doing the sponsorship (thought the sponsorship was an application for extension).
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol Spruce
Thank you, Snowy. We are completing the Application to Change Conditions, Extend Stay or Remain in Canada etc. form, and I have ticked "Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor"... hoping that is correct. Now that we have the marriage certificate we are good to go for the spousal sponsorship. For a while I was confused as to whether we needed to do the extension, as we are doing the sponsorship (thought the sponsorship was an application for extension).
Unless his current status has expired and he is within 90 days of expiry, you are NOT applying to restore status.

You will prove he has unexpired status with the Application if it is unexpired (passport entry date stamped in your case). Look back to what FL wrote.

I do not know what kind of sponsorship Application you are doing: overseas or Inland. If the former, you need to extend (as a visitor) as you are doing; if the latter you can apply for a work permit and send it with the spouse app (+ all fees) as long as the Applicant has current VALID STATUS when the apps will be received.

If you don't know what you're doing, get help.

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 23rd 2017 at 12:13 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:12 am
Just Joined

We are applying for inland sponsorship.... I am looking for help in Kelowna (immigration consultant) as I have never done this before. If you have a referral please let me know. I am still waiting for documents (his birth certificate) and worried I am running out of time to do this right the first time. Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We are applying for inland sponsorship.... I am looking for help in Kelowna (immigration consultant) as I have never done this before. If you have a referral please let me know. I am still waiting for documents (his birth certificate) and worried I am running out of time to do this right the first time. Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful.
These are the ones registered and listed in BC but nobody in Kelowna

Search

If the link doesn't work try this
Find an Immigration Professional | iccrc-crcic
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Our application for sponsorship has been accepted and is being processed. We received an email asking for Schedule A and Police Certificate which we are in the process of getting. Question: the letter from CIC seems to indicate a police certificate is required for each of his parents, who will NOT be emigrating to Canada. Do we need to get police certificates for his parents in England, even though they are not coming with him? I just want to clarify, before we go through the work of getting them. Thank you!!!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Our application for sponsorship has been accepted and is being processed. We received an email asking for Schedule A and Police Certificate which we are in the process of getting. Question: the letter from CIC seems to indicate a police certificate is required for each of his parents, who will NOT be emigrating to Canada. Do we need to get police certificates for his parents in England, even though they are not coming with him? I just want to clarify, before we go through the work of getting them. Thank you!!!
Police certificates are not required for his parents.

I assume the letter says something like 'for each family member'? In which case, the definition of 'family' is very tightly constrained, and means the direct members of the family included in the application - the applicant, any children, etc.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help. Schedule A has been uploaded and police cert has been ordered. Curious about the message on his online account... the Schedule A was successfully uploaded but today it says "Repacement provided.." and in the column next to it "Schedule A Online (Required)". Should he click that link and do it again?? I find that site clear as mud... thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help. Schedule A has been uploaded and police cert has been ordered. Curious about the message on his online account... the Schedule A was successfully uploaded but today it says "Repacement provided.." and in the column next to it "Schedule A Online (Required)". Should he click that link and do it again?? I find that site clear as mud... thank you in advance for your assistance.
Don't bother to do it again. If it says provided then it's uploaded. We had our visa granted a couple of weeks ago and it still says that we need to upload a document we sent twice. The online thing doesn't necessarily get updated when you send things.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, Dorothy. I was worried that I had done it incorrectly or something. I'm glad to hear your Visa was granted - welcome to Canada
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, Dorothy. I was worried that I had done it incorrectly or something. I'm glad to hear your Visa was granted - welcome to Canada
Thank you. I'm Canadian but have been in Australia for the past 11 years. I've sponsored my English/Australian partner who has been here 32 years. Best wishes for your application.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

There is always "one more question" it seems.... we have received the police certificate today by courier. However, there is no longer a link available to upload it, because I uploaded the application as proof that we ordered the cert (per instructions on the site under the "?"). Do we have to wait for them to ask for the actual cert, and give us another link to use to upload it? It's been about a week and I'm worried that they are waiting for the cert and I have no way of uploading it. Thank you for your assistance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.