Express Entry, Not enough points?

Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

TerryLambe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry, Not enough points?

Hello all,

This is my first post, I would appreciate any advice, me, my partner and 2 children are wanting to move to bc, I have an employer very interested in employing me, we have done the celpip test whilst in Toronto, not much of an education but I have got a couple qualifications from work, I’m a working supervisor for a fencing company, I’m 30 so nearly full points there, I’m not sure if I can use my level 2 diploma as it is for a trade?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry, Not enough points?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Would you be applying under FSW or FST? I'm not sure if your occupation is on the list for FST?

And is it a NVQ or something else?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Would you be applying under FSW or FST? I'm not sure if your occupation is on the list for FST?

And is it a NVQ or something else?
Hi and thank you for the reply, I think it would be FST? NOC 7205, fencing contractor is on the list, iv been trying to sort things on my own and not getting very far, I don’t want to give up on our dream but it might be time, so thought I’d ask you guys first as I know your full of useful information 👍🏻
Old Dec 1st 2017, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryLambe
Hi and thank you for the reply, I think it would be FST? NOC 7205, fencing contractor is on the list, iv been trying to sort things on my own and not getting very far, I don’t want to give up on our dream but it might be time, so thought I’d ask you guys first as I know your full of useful information 👍🏻
OK, fab, that's good news as you may find you don't need to score as much as if it was a FSW application - for FST only draws the points is much lower, for example the last draw a month ago it went down to 241 points.

So assuming you meet the FST criteria, even if your points are low by a 'normal' standard, you would be in with a good chance of getting PR.

Good luck!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, fab, that's good news as you may find you don't need to score as much as if it was a FSW application - for FST only draws the points is much lower, for example the last draw a month ago it went down to 241 points.

So assuming you meet the FST criteria, even if your points are low by a 'normal' standard, you would be in with a good chance of getting PR.

Good luck!
Is there any way I can check if I meet the FST criteria? Also is there anything else I could do to increase my points? I appreciate your help
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Is there any way I can check if I meet the FST criteria? Also is there anything else I could do to increase my points? I appreciate your help
The FST criteria is here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

Without knowing what you're scoring in each section, it's hard to say how you could get more points.

What are you scoring now?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Age 95

Official Language 99

Spouses Official Language 8

Official Language Proficiency and Foreign Work Experience 25

Job Offer 50 assuming I get a positive LMIA

Total 277

I didnt get much from school, a GNVQ in science and GNVQ in I.T
Dont think these alone will add to much

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Terry, in case you missed it when you read the site rules when signing up, 'bumping' your threads aren't allowed as per rule 13, so please don't keep doing it.

Not sure what advice you're after still, you've already been told that the last FST draw went down to 241, so you're well above that. If you're eligible then just apply and hopefully you'll get an ITA at some point.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ok I’m sorry about that I wasn’t sure if you had seen my post, as you asked what I was currently scoring I thought you might have some ideas on how I could make it higher, would I need a certificate of qualification for FST?

Thank you
I will wait patiently for you reply this time ☹️
Old Dec 4th 2017, 3:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I’m sorry about that I wasn’t sure if you had seen my post, as you asked what I was currently scoring I thought you might have some ideas on how I could make it higher, would I need a certificate of qualification for FST?

Thank you
I will wait patiently for you reply this time ☹️
Per the link that Christmasoompa gave you:
have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year** or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, as said by Siouxie you need either the cert or a job offer to qualify - you mention job offer above and have included points for that, so is that already underway? If so, then you're sorted.

You really don't need to make the score higher for a FST app, if I were you I'd just apply asap and hopefully you'd get an ITA in the next FST draw, and of course if you have a LMIA and job offer then you can head out there sooner and start working whilst you wait for PR.

But if you did want to get your points up, then probably the easiest way is to retake your IELTS so that you get higher scores, plus you don't seem to have included your education? Even if your GNVQ etc aren't counted, you'd still get at least 30 points for that (yours plus your wife's, more if she has something other than just secondary education).

One other option to look at is the IEC if you decide you don't want the hassle and cost of a PR app (you'd still have the huge cost of moving, but at least the visa app would be cheaper!). Just an idea anyway.

HTH.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys really appreciate your help!
Iv been on the phone to my potential employer and we are not sure when he should apply for the LMIA, before or after I apply for FST? I think it’s only valid for 6 months, is that correct? Also should I apply for FST through express Entry?, sorry for all the questions but I’d be lost without all your help.

Thank you
Terry
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys really appreciate your help!
Iv been on the phone to my potential employer and we are not sure when he should apply for the LMIA, before or after I apply for FST? I think it’s only valid for 6 months, is that correct? Also should I apply for FST through express Entry?, sorry for all the questions but I’d be lost without all your help.

Thank you
Terry
To qualify for FST you need either the job offer or the trade certificate. So if you don't have a Canadian trade certificate the employer will need to get the LMIA approved prior to you applying for FST.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ok but what if my Application takes longer than 6 months? Won’t the LMIA expire? Or does it stay valid as it’s attached to a visa application?

Thank you
Terry