Express Entry help please

Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:41 am
Just Joined

jimmyrothwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry help please

Hi Forum

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I could not find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am a UK citizen, 27, and looking to move to Canada by the end of the year. Currently working in Australia.

As many of you know, the IEC (Working Holiday) visa allocation is exhausted and I am therefore looking to go in under EE.

I work as a property valuer and have a degree and from my research looks like I have plenty of points under the EE system. However, I do not currently have a job offer from a Canadian firm. I have made contacts and am awaiting a job offer.

My question is, should I submit my EE application prior to a job offer, knowing I would have just enough points? Or should I wait until after a job offer to submit my application to the pool?

Does anybody know whether you get picked out of the pool faster with a job offer? And any ideas on timeframes?

Thanks, I know it is a lot of q's
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry help please

Originally Posted by jimmyrothwell
Hi Forum

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I could not find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am a UK citizen, 27, and looking to move to Canada by the end of the year. Currently working in Australia.

As many of you know, the IEC (Working Holiday) visa allocation is exhausted and I am therefore looking to go in under EE.

I work as a property valuer and have a degree and from my research looks like I have plenty of points under the EE system. However, I do not currently have a job offer from a Canadian firm. I have made contacts and am awaiting a job offer.

My question is, should I submit my EE application prior to a job offer, knowing I would have just enough points? Or should I wait until after a job offer to submit my application to the pool?

Does anybody know whether you get picked out of the pool faster with a job offer? And any ideas on timeframes?

Thanks, I know it is a lot of q's
Depends in large part what you mean by "plenty of points".

Do you have the 67 FSW points needed to enter the pool?

Do you have the ~420-440 CRS points needed to be drawn out of it, without a job offer?

You get picked out of the pool based on points. The first draw that covers you, you're taken out. If one is never drawn for your level, the profile eventually expires.

IEC allocations are likely to re-open in about two months.

[Edit to add: I'm afraid to say, you have no prospect at all of moving to Canada as a PR 'by the end of the year'. You're more likely to get here in that timeframe waiting for IEC to restart and having a lucky early draw. Even the quickest streams typically take 4-6 months to go through. A tiny, statistically insignificant proportion of spousal applications have historically been done in the timeframe you're talking. So if you have to be in Canada by year end, it's as a tourist, or a lucky IEC]

Last edited by Vulcanoid; Sep 19th 2017 at 4:08 am. Reason: add comment about timeframes
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Vulcaniod, thanks for the quick and v.helpful reply mate.

So i was looking at the FSW points and I have 70 i think (24 language, 21 degree, 13 experience in NOL1314, 12 for age).

For CRS I just took a quick online test and scored 378 but it was really confusing so could not be certain on the points

So I read the draws happen approx every 2 weeks. Does this mean I would be drawn out in 2 weeks, or may I have to wait longer depending on if there are more higher scoring people in the pool with me?

It's great to hear advice and I very much appreciate it
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:29 am
Just Joined

I just took another CRS test here and scored 441 pts. God I'm confused

canadavisa. com/ crs-evaluate.html
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

With 70 FSW points, you can certainly enter the pool. Based on what you've said, I make you at about 441 (in which case it would definitely be worth being in it).
Education: 120
Languages: Assume 136 (could be lower if you don't get perfect)
Skill Transferrability: Ed+Lang: 25
Work+Lang: 50

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

In order to be able to enter the pool under FSW, you would need to get English test done and education assessed. This alone may take until the end of the year (assuming you don't have it done already). If you want to get Canada asap then IEC is the way to go (followed by EE if you want to stay).
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help vulcaniod. I just read your edit and it does make me wanna cry reading 4-6 months, but I appreciate the help.

At this point it would seem best for me to enter the pool asap.

It seems strange that it could take 4-6 months to process with a job offer, as this would mean the job would have to stay open for so long. Is this correct?

Have you heard of any other (faster) options which I could chase? Maybe an employer sponsored visa?

For your info, I work for a company called CBRE over in Australia and I have spoken to the office heads in Toronto who understandably would like a meeting/interview before they offer me a job
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks bc2015. Do we have any idea when the pools may re-open for UK citizens? Vulcaniod indicated maybe 2 months, so November?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the help vulcaniod. I just read your edit and it does make me wanna cry reading 4-6 months, but I appreciate the help.

At this point it would seem best for me to enter the pool asap.

It seems strange that it could take 4-6 months to process with a job offer, as this would mean the job would have to stay open for so long. Is this correct?

Have you heard of any other (faster) options which I could chase? Maybe an employer sponsored visa?

For your info, I work for a company called CBRE over in Australia and I have spoken to the office heads in Toronto who understandably would like a meeting/interview before they offer me a job
If you want a company-sponsored work permit, that will likely require a Labour Market Impact Assessment, which involves the company actively trying to hire a Canadian, and proving that nobody who applies is suitable - it involves advertising for at least 3 months in multiple locations, and the company paying a $1,000 fee (and they have to demonstrate each candidate by name and skillset why they can't be hired instead of you).

As above, you'll need to go through education and language assessment before you can even enter the pool, and you'll need to track down references from your employers to cover all the years you're claiming points for as well, to show that your work duties cover the exact NOC codes you say it does.

Immigration, I'm afraid, ain't that quick :/
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks bc2015. Do we have any idea when the pools may re-open for UK citizens? Vulcaniod indicated maybe 2 months, so November?
The last few years they've opened in November. Before that, it varied from about December to March.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the help. Let me know if there is any way I can return the favour
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

For CRS I just took a quick online test and scored 378 but it was really confusing so could not be certain on the points

So I read the draws happen approx every 2 weeks. Does this mean I would be drawn out in 2 weeks, or may I have to wait longer depending on if there are more higher scoring people in the pool with me?
At 378 you wouldn't be drawn out at all in the foreseeable future - as said above, approximately 430-450 is what you'd need to be at to be in with a chance of getting an invite as a rough guide.

I just took another CRS test here and scored 441 pts. God I'm confused

canadavisa. com/ crs-evaluate.html
Don't use any tool other than the official one to calculate your points (just guesstimate your IELTS score etc for now to give you an idea) - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

If you are scoring higher than your original estimate of 378, then you could apply and would be in with a good chance.

Those that waited 5 years or more for PR under the old FSW system will no doubt be chortling at your impatience. 4-6 months is nothing in immigration terms.

And as above, your employer wouldn't normally wait 6-8 months or so for you to get PR, that's why you would go over on a Temp Work Permit first and then get PR once there (as outlined above). But if speed is of the essence to you, then IEC is definitely the way to go, you could be out there by next spring if you're lucky enough to get selected from the pool quickly. There is no visa route that will get you out there by the end of the year, but you could be there not long after.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks