Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry Form Filling - family partner or not?

Express Entry Form Filling - family partner or not?

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Express Entry Form Filling - family partner or not?

Hi all,

Sorry for all the posts of recent!

When we fill out the EE eligibility stuff, it comes up with the question of how many family members there are, and it then says 'include spouse or partner'. Technically I am her partner, but it is a common law relationship. Ie, boyfriend/girlfriend. If we say 2 in that case, we are not eligible. I think it is 1, as we aren't 'family' at this stage, but unclear whether CIC view it the same way.

If we put 1, it then allows you to add a common law partner, at which point we are eligible, so from that, I establish I do not count as a family member under spouse/partner, but I 'am' a partner in sense of common law partner? Based on our brazolot paperwork, it would seem they selected the same manner as they have added english scores for me as well.

Further in when creating the profile for the pool, it then asks about how much money she will be bringing, and again it asks about how many family members there are again, and it once again, says spouse/partner.

Confused whether we enter 2 there, or keep it as 1 and carry on as if I'm not a direct spouse/partner and more of a common law tagalong.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 23rd 2018 at 5:30 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry Form Filling - family partner or not?

Hi

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Hi all,

Sorry for all the posts of recent!

When we fill out the EE eligibility stuff, it comes up with the question of how many family members there are, and it then says 'include spouse or partner'. Technically I am her partner, but it is a common law relationship. Ie, boyfriend/girlfriend. If we say 2 in that case, we are not eligible. I think it is 1, as we aren't 'family' at this stage, but unclear whether CIC view it the same way.

If we put 1, it then allows you to add a common law partner, at which point we are eligible, so from that, I establish I do not count as a family member under spouse/partner, but I 'am' a partner in sense of common law partner? Based on our brazolot paperwork, it would seem they selected the same manner as they have added english scores for me as well.

Further in when creating the profile for the pool, it then asks about how much money she will be bringing, and again it asks about how many family members there are again, and it once again, says spouse/partner.

Confused whether we enter 2 there, or keep it as 1 and carry on as if I'm not a direct spouse/partner and more of a common law tagalong.
1. There is no "tag along" common-law. You are either in a Common/law relationship and have been for at least 1 year or you are not. If you are C/Law, then you have to be included in the application, so the number in the family is 2. If you are not included or declared, then your C/Law spouse can't sponsor you in the future and you can't "tag a long"
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

If we put 2 in the family section then we are not eligible for express entry, it does not ask about my language scores etc. If we put 1 in the family, it then asks if there is a common law partner, to which we put yes, and yes I am coming, and then it allows us to enter my details, and thus are eligible. Afterwards it gives me my own little section of info to fill out. I think this is the correct way, since I'm not family. When filling out score things on other sites, it allows us to enter my details.

Tag along probably isn't the correct term, was used as a joke term.. I'm the boyfriend who will be coming along, but I'm not family, so can only be common law surely? We view eachother as partner, but in this instance do we just view it as relationship with common law, and ignore the partner aspect?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

So turns out that the minimum amount required is not actually the minimum, you need to add on 1$. This was why it said we were not eligible. Selected the higher drop-down by 1$ and now its allowing us through as a family of 2, where we can then select common law etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

So turns out that the minimum amount required is not actually the minimum, you need to add on 1$. This was why it said we were not eligible. Selected the higher drop-down by 1$ and now its allowing us through as a family of 2, where we can then select common law etc.
yes proof of funds required is based on the number of family members

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...oof-funds.html

for 2 people is $15,531
Old Feb 24th 2018, 7:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If we put 2 in the family section then we are not eligible for express entry, it does not ask about my language scores etc. If we put 1 in the family, it then asks if there is a common law partner, to which we put yes, and yes I am coming, and then it allows us to enter my details, and thus are eligible. Afterwards it gives me my own little section of info to fill out. I think this is the correct way, since I'm not family. When filling out score things on other sites, it allows us to enter my details.

Tag along probably isn't the correct term, was used as a joke term.. I'm the boyfriend who will be coming along, but I'm not family, so can only be common law surely? We view eachother as partner, but in this instance do we just view it as relationship with common law, and ignore the partner aspect?
If you have lived together 'as if married' for a minimum of 12 continuous months, you are classified (for immigration matters) as 'common-law partners'. If you are the common-law partner, then you are family. If you have not lived together for 12 continuous months or more, then you are not classed as common-law partners.

Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
yes proof of funds required is based on the number of family members

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...oof-funds.html

for 2 people is $15,531
Yup, so we selected the amount which showed that at the top end. You have to select the next amount, which starts 15532, otherwise it says you are not eligible. Personally I'd say that is a bug.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Feb 24th 2018 at 9:58 am.