British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Express entry candidate pool (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/express-entry-candidate-pool-905409/)

Linas Nov 3rd 2017 10:04 am

Express entry candidate pool

Hello,

Please could someone advise:

If I am in the candidate pool through Express Entry and let's say I am invited to become permanent citizen, do I just fill in the documentation and then come over to live in Canada (without having a job offer)?

I think it is really difficult and expensive to live in a hotel without a job. Realistically the job search may take like 8 to 12 weeks.

Is it not possible to get permanent citizenship and then come back to UK and look for a job in Canada remotely while working in the UK?

Many thanks in advance

Former Lancastrian Nov 3rd 2017 10:24 am

Re: Express entry candidate pool

Originally Posted by Linas (Post 12373889)
Hello,

Please could someone advise:

If I am in the candidate pool through Express Entry and let's say I am invited to become permanent citizen, do I just fill in the documentation and then come over to live in Canada (without having a job offer)?

I think it is really difficult and expensive to live in a hotel without a job. Realistically the job search may take like 8 to 12 weeks.

Is it not possible to get permanent citizenship and then come back to UK and look for a job in Canada remotely while working in the UK?

Many thanks in advance

You don't get citizenship its called Permanent Residency until you become eligible to apply for citizenship.
Which EE stream do you qualify under as Im guessing its not CEC.
If you accept the ITA you are given instructions what to do. Once you get your COPR forms you are given a specified time to formally land as a Permanent Resident. Many arrive without a job or a permanent home and thats the understanding they knew what faces them. They apply for jobs and look for a home.
Many arrive and go back immediately to finish up things in their home country like quitting their jobs and selling homes. They have a period of time to do this to meet the residency obligation and when arriving back then look for a job.

This is what a lot do so you have to decide do I want to move to another country without a job and a home. The advantage of having the PR status is that you can apply for jobs without the need of a work permit.
Many are successful and others aren't.

christmasoompa Nov 3rd 2017 11:18 am

As FL has said, you don't get citizenship - that's quite a long way down the line! You'll get PR if successful.

But if you are selected and given an Invitation to Apply (what is your CRS score??), then you'll get 90 days to submit your PR application which will include all sorts of documents, from employment refs, to proof of funds, etc. Once you've actually got PR, you have a year from the date of your medical to 'land' and activate your PR status, and then once you've done that you can return to the UK if you wish, but just be mindful of your residency obligations (2 years out of every 5 in Canada from the date of landing).

Essentially though, you'd have 3 years as a rough guide before you actually *had* to move, so plenty of time.

HTH.

Linas Nov 3rd 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12373933)
As FL has said, you don't get citizenship - that's quite a long way down the line! You'll get PR if successful.

But if you are selected and given an Invitation to Apply (what is your CRS score??), then you'll get 90 days to submit your PR application which will include all sorts of documents, from employment refs, to proof of funds, etc. Once you've actually got PR, you have a year from the date of your medical to 'land' and activate your PR status, and then once you've done that you can return to the UK if you wish, but just be mindful of your residency obligations (2 years out of every 5 in Canada from the date of landing).

Essentially though, you'd have 3 years as a rough guide before you actually *had* to move, so plenty of time.

HTH.

Apologies, you are right, I meant permanent resident status, not citizen.

That is a really helpful statement you made about the 2 years out of every 5 in Canada from the date of landing. It clears up a lot of problems I had on my mind.

Note, I have not started the EE process, I am at this point only trying to find out the implications/ information about the EE.

Linas Nov 3rd 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12373895)
You don't get citizenship its called Permanent Residency until you become eligible to apply for citizenship.
Which EE stream do you qualify under as Im guessing its not CEC.
If you accept the ITA you are given instructions what to do. Once you get your COPR forms you are given a specified time to formally land as a Permanent Resident. Many arrive without a job or a permanent home and thats the understanding they knew what faces them. They apply for jobs and look for a home.
Many arrive and go back immediately to finish up things in their home country like quitting their jobs and selling homes. They have a period of time to do this to meet the residency obligation and when arriving back then look for a job.

This is what a lot do so you have to decide do I want to move to another country without a job and a home. The advantage of having the PR status is that you can apply for jobs without the need of a work permit.
Many are successful and others aren't.

Some very useful information and points for me to consider. Thanks for the input.

Shakyuk Nov 6th 2017 7:59 am

The thought of moving without a job isn't a nice one, but depending on where you're heading I think it may be one you need to embrace.

I have PR but I'm heading to Calgary and due to the jobs market for engineers it seems I won't be able to get a job before I'm on the ground in Calgary. If I was heading to Vancouver this would be different.

A lot of my friends have emigrated to various countries, most started out in house shares to reduce living expense. This is what we're planning on doing, it may be worth looking into if your personal circumstances allow it.