Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

eTA needed for leaving Canada after end of Sept?

eTA needed for leaving Canada after end of Sept?

Old Aug 20th 2016, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default eTA needed for leaving Canada after end of Sept?

I just wondered if an eTA is required for my sister who's coming to visit me in Canada - she'll be arriving before the end of Sept before its made compulsory but will be leaving after it's made compulsory in Oct. Just wanted to make sure in case she will need one and save any problems.
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eTA needed for leaving Canada after end of Sept?

It's not relevant for leaving only for entering by plane.

Why doesn't she get one? Then she's got it and it's done.

S
Old Aug 20th 2016, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
It's not relevant for leaving only for entering by plane.

Why doesn't she get one? Then she's got it and it's done.

S
I see, thanks Snowy560
I guess so, yeah we were thinking its maybe better to be safe and at least she has it, and then she can still use it the next time she's over
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
I see, thanks Snowy560
I guess so, yeah we were thinking its maybe better to be safe and at least she has it, and then she can still use it the next time she's over

Yes, I agree
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah get it, only $7 and lasts 5 years or until new passport issued. Some airlines haven't removed it as a requirement from their website... so to save the hassle of getting some airline employee refusing you boarding because you don't have one, just seems to make more sense to get one.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yeah get it, only $7 and lasts 5 years or until new passport issued. Some airlines haven't removed it as a requirement from their website... so to save the hassle of getting some airline employee refusing you boarding because you don't have one, just seems to make more sense to get one.
Thanks for your advice ChrisBan, yeah we were looking at the CIC website again last night, and decided it's best to get it to save any problems. Looks like they're coming to the end of their leniency period in end of Sept.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:30 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
I got one before my PR came through. So easy to do and it took 6 hours to get mine approved.

Do much better value then the American ESTA lol
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I got one before my PR came through. So easy to do and it took 6 hours to get mine approved.

Do much better value then the American ESTA lol
That's good to know its straightforward, think she'll leave it to a little bit nearer the time so she doesn't lose any time on it by getting it too early. Yeah we were thinking the same too, it's definitely good value for money compared to the ESTA. But it's good you don't need it now you've got your PR
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

chrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the rough

This may sound stupid, but you have to get a ETA even if you have a working visa correct?
I'm in Canada and have been since 2014, will be taking a vacation in December and I'll need a ETA aong with my current visa to get back in to Canada on my return right?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

BTW: your authorization is a Work Permit. It's not a Visa. That's something different and as a UK citizen you don't need a visa to travel to Canada: you need an eTA in order to return on the plane.

S
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

chrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the roughchrisflats is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: eTA needed for leaving Canada after end of Sept?

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

BTW: your authorization is a Work Permit. It's not a Visa. That's something different and as a UK citizen you don't need a visa to travel to Canada: you need an eTA in order to return on the plane.

S
thank you!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're welcome. eTA is confusing for everyone including professional advisors. That I think is because there is still stuff that needs to be worked out (hence they keep putting off the implementation date).

S