Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Entering under an IEC with family.

Entering under an IEC with family.

Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Nrfk25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Entering under an IEC with family.

After receiving a ton of valuable help within the other section i'm back, looking for some advice/recommendations.

Long story short, I work for Openreach and I will be looking for a similar role within either AB or NS, luckily this falls under the NOC B category.

The best plan now seems to be for me to apply and enter under an IEC(i'm 25). I'm married with two children(2 & 6), the major concern I have would be the uncertainty around my families visa status upon entry. I think I am correct in thinking as I would be on an IEC they would simply enter as visitors and length of their stay would be down to the Immigration Officer? As for the children, would I apply for a study visa for them prior to leaving the UK?

As you can imagine this is a major upheaval and to run the risk of them having to return to the UK in 3 - 6 months is far from ideal. What's the best way of dealing with this? I believe that if I secure a job within the NOC B category my wife would be able to secure a working visa? However, there's always a chance, for whatever reason, that I may not be able to secure a job that falls into this category within time. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case, merely preparing for all eventualities.

The endgame here is to enter under an IEC to allow me to look for work then apply for PR once a suitable job has been secured.

To add, my wife will not be eligbile for her own IEC when it comes time to submit(currently 30).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Nrfk25; Feb 11th 2018 at 11:11 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering under an IEC with family.

On arrival all other family members would be visitors and make sure all passports are valid for the 2 year IEC work permit. Children would be issued visitor records to attend school you need to ask for one to be issued.
Once you have secured a job in either skill level 0, A or B then wife eligible for SOWP. This can be done either applying online once in Canada or doing the flag pole ie travel to USA turn around and come back.

All require eTA and Im assuming you are all UK citizens.
SOWP is $155 for the work permit and $100 processing fee. Visitor records are free if applying at a POE.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
All require eTA and Im assuming you are all UK citizens.
We are indeed, cheers for the quick reply. To me the whole process of having my family enter as visitors and length of stay down to the discretion of the Immigration Officer seemed somewhat insecure. However, it seems to be the simplest way.

Cheers once again.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I trust you realize how much your proposal is an extremely high risk venture. I hope you plan to bring lots of money with you. Setting up a family life here can/will be a very expensive proposition. I suspect most IEC candidates come as single people and can find shared/hostel accommodation. I doubt this would be available to your family. The senior moderator on this site has suggested that you not attempt a family Immigration with anything less than £25k, preferably more.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I trust you realize how much your proposal is an extremely high risk venture. I hope you plan to bring lots of money with you. Setting up a family life here can/will be a very expensive proposition. I suspect most IEC candidates come as single people and can find shared/hostel accommodation. I doubt this would be available to your family. The senior moderator on this site has suggested that you not attempt a family Immigration with anything less than £25k, preferably more.
I’m very much aware, hence the questions. I don’t take the prospect of uprooting my children lightly, merely exploring potential routes to take.