English Test

Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

NineTails is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Test

For the Canadian resident application, I know you need to take a test to confirm you level of proficiency with the language. However, there isn't too much information on line about.

I'm Scottish and a native speaker of English, but I'm just curious as to what to expect with the actual test. I mean, how difficult is it to get a perfect score across everything?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test

Depending on which test you decide to take (IELTS or CELPIP) you need to go to the websites and research a practice test.

https://www.celpiptest.ca/

IELTS Free Practice tests to develop your exam technique

I don't know if I have the latest links here as things change, so you'd need to check that. Note that for Canadian immigration you need to select the General test in each case.

One of the reasons that native speakers sometimes don't do as well as they expect on these tests is because they do not prepare by knowing the format of the test, what to expect etc. Preparation is key.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 10th 2015 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

We took the ielts tests. Once you have booked them you can download practice tests to complete and prepare.
Being a native English people we thought the test were relatively easy, achieving between 7.5 to 8.5 out of 9 across the board.
However when taking any tests it always helps to be prepared.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: English Test

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
We took the ielts tests. Once you have booked them you can download practice tests to complete and prepare.
Being a native English people we thought the test were relatively easy, achieving between 7.5 to 8.5 out of 9 across the board.
However when taking any tests it always helps to be prepared.
Hi Newlife, Im about to book the ielts tests, hopefully in August. I was encouraged when i saw what you wrote, being English born and bred myself i hoped it wouldn't be too difficult. I dont think ill need more then a few days of going over past papers etc Do you think this is an adequate amount of time? (I know you dont know me but if it helps i have a degree in business and am a natural salesman )
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

sugarlips12 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i recently took IELTS test (june) i am also born n bred in the UK and if your first language is English i cant stress enough how EASY!! the test is. the test i feel is designed for people who really dont speak any English.

do look at the practice tests it will give you an idea of what to expect, you should only need a few days before test to prepare.
depending on your profession (im a nurse) so needed to score min 7 across all sections of the test. luckily my overall score was 8. if you are going through express entry as UK citizen the higher your score the more chance you have of being selected in the pool!!!

i was really worried about the test, how long to prepare etc but left smiling knowing that i had passed!!!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

largy is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel even better now-Thanks so much Sugarlips!
I filled out the application today but think i applied for the academic instead of the General...school boy error! Its all good, ill sort it out but main thing is im more confident now ☺
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

That will be more than enough time..... My own personnel advise would be don't over think it. Just answer questions asked and dont elaborate too much.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:06 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the irony of all these responses
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

jk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I used to work at an IELTS centre and most native speakers find the exam relatively easy. However I did see some fail/not get as high a mark as expected, for various reasons - generally on the reading/listening parts of the test because they didn't prepare at all or know what to expect and made a lot of silly mistakes (like spelling errors). Not actually as easy as you might think to get a perfect score (9), but should be easy to get 7-8.5 which is fine. I would just do a couple of practice tests for the reading, listening and writing and you should have no problem. Speaking you should get full marks without doing anything! (I hope!).
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:23 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just booked mine today for late August. I've had a quick look at the format but feel I need to get some practice in before the day
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Best post on thread, so far, IMO
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jk94441
Speaking you should get full marks without doing anything! (I hope!).
Yes the speaking bit isn't really designed for Brits. For me they started with asking "what is the weather like in the country where you live?" Oh the realm of sarcastic comments that were being held back as I noted the rainy weather through the window behind the interviewer.

I was then asked to describe an a mistake that somebody else had made.
It felt such a negative topic that I found myself pausing in order to choose words carefully (as one does when not trying to be too critical!), but it didn't seem to hurt my mark.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

NineTails is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I just made the payment for my test on the 1st of August. Couple of weeks to prepare should be enough time.

My spelling isn't perfect, but I have reasonably good grammar skills. Which I hope will help.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:12 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Spot. On.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

callysykes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I took mine a couple of months ago and you just have to read the questions really carefully. The questions are easy enough but the way the questions are framed tries to trip you up. I felt sorry for any people that don't have English as a first language. I think it must be tough for them. I think you will be fine though- good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.