Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

English language proof for citizenship

English language proof for citizenship

Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English language proof for citizenship

Absolutely. I am merely offering my opinion.
If this is your highest qualification, then for peace of mind, do the test.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

There's only one way to be absolutely sure. That's to submit a language test result. Now most of us with post sec qualifications from the UK didn't or won't do that and most of will probably be OK but as you can see from Snoopdawg's experience, even that isn't an absolute guarantee of an accepted Application. So as I said before, I personally wouldn't want the uncertainty if I had just GCSEs.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
I'm willing to take that risk - easier than booking an English test.
Feel free- we sent back asking for a review by a more senior officer and with a copy of their own instructions- highlighting the relevant bits to show we had sent exactly what they asked for. I even sent proof that they was source verified by the Medical Council of Canada which had allowed us to practice medicine in Canada for 7 years. Still sent back, so as the rules had then changed, meaning we had to wait longer, we wrote to the Immigration minister- same answer, went via our MP- same answer!
We changed the transcripts- applied again when we could- accepted. Makes zero sense to me but I wouldn't risk it. When they send the application back- its by regular post- all your info stuffed in your mail box in a flimsy envelope. Manchester uni changed our transcripts quickly after a quick explainatory email.

Last edited by snoopdawg; Oct 14th 2017 at 1:54 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Feel free- we sent back asking for a review by a more senior officer and with a copy of their own instructions- highlighting the relevant bits to show we had sent exactly what they asked for. I even sent proof that they was source verified by the Medical Council of Canada which had allowed us to practice medicine in Canada for 7 years. Still sent back, so as the rules had then changed, meaning we had to wait longer, we wrote to the Immigration minister- same answer, went via our MP- same answer!
We changed the transcripts- applied again when we could- accepted. Makes zero sense to me but I wouldn't risk it. When they send the application back- its by regular post- all your info stuffed in your mail box in a flimsy envelope. Manchester uni changed our transcripts quickly after a quick explainatory email.
I just finished my application and on checking my degree transcripts again I can see it explicitly states:

"Language(s) of Instruction/Assessment: English"

So looks like this is adequate proof. Thanks for the warning anyways.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:04 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
I just finished my application and on checking my degree transcripts again I can see it explicitly states:

"Language(s) of Instruction/Assessment: English"

So looks like this is adequate proof. Thanks for the warning anyways.
Yep- that is exactly what it needs to say. You should be good to go. As we found to our cost, it doesnt matter what certificate, transcript one submits, be it from Penge Tech College or Cambridge University, it has to say that it was done in English (or French). Yes there are anecdotal examples where people have got away with submitting their English O Level certificate but they were damn lucky and as people have said, it isn't with taking a risk.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had copies of my O Levels (yes I'm that old), A levels and my school reports. In addition a copy of my Masters, with a print out of the course content from the University. I then did a couple of print outs of my schools webpage to show it is in the UK and uses English. I did a cover note to explain my education was in English except for my poor French exams.

Worked for me.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Many of us have done this or similar and been fine. But not all as can be seen on this thread. If I only had GCSEs I'd definitely do a language test because I wouldn't want a returned Application. This is because I personally don't think GCSEs meet the language requirements. In other words, to me, submitting with GCSEs (only) would represent more of a risk than I would be prepared to take.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 15th 2017 at 1:59 am.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:02 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
I had copies of my O Levels (yes I'm that old), A levels and my school reports. In addition a copy of my Masters, with a print out of the course content from the University. I then did a couple of print outs of my schools webpage to show it is in the UK and uses English. I did a cover note to explain my education was in English except for my poor French exams.

Worked for me.
I refer to my previous post wrt anecdotes.
In the words of Clint Eastwood you can ask the question" do you feel lucky?" - The guidelines from the IRCC are :

You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.

Great that it worked for you. I think that the consensus advice is that it would be wise to tick all the required "boxes". I'm not sure that it is worth going through the application taking the risk that yep, I do feel lucky ...
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:20 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I gained my citizenship in 2011.

The stream i got my PR through did not require me to take the IELTS.

for citizenship i sent a notarized copy of my English Language O level Certificate which was acceptable.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:56 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Yep- that is exactly what it needs to say. You should be good to go. As we found to our cost, it doesnt matter what certificate, transcript one submits, be it from Penge Tech College or Cambridge University, it has to say that it was done in English (or French). Yes there are anecdotal examples where people have got away with submitting their English O Level certificate but they were damn lucky and as people have said, it isn't with taking a risk.
Originally Posted by JGK
I gained my citizenship in 2011.

The stream i got my PR through did not require me to take the IELTS.

for citizenship i sent a notarized copy of my English Language O level Certificate which was acceptable.
There you go .........
Old Sep 28th 2018, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

melady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond reputemelady25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default melady25's Citizenship questions

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
snoopdawg, could you elaborate more on what you mean by transcripts.... i.e. getting someone to officially write on certificates that they were taught in English?

Old Oct 2nd 2018, 8:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melady25
snoopdawg, could you elaborate more on what you mean by transcripts.... i.e. getting someone to officially write on certificates that they were taught in English?
The thread is almost a year old and the poster you are referencing has not been on BE since November 2017.
You can check when the poster was last online by clicking on their name and viewing their profile.
For clarification a transcript is the document received from a university / college / governing body / examining body etc., and is a summation of all courses and marks achieved. It isn't the certificate or diploma.
Rather than asking the same question on different threads, perhaps better to stick to one.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 2nd 2018 at 8:58 pm.