Eligibility for Citizenship

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Default Eligibility for Citizenship

Hi all, been awhile since i posted.

I am looking to apply for Citizenship but seems I can not progress online.

So far:

Feb 2012 - June 2013 - WHV
Oct 2014 - present - PR

So far under the 1460 days required but read something about a change that will come in effect soon.

1) when will this change come into effect which would mean I can apply for CZ
2) should i expect the online application to change soon as rules come into place?
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligibility for Citizenship

Find out if you’re eligible: Citizenship

When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident.
What change are you referring to? And where did you read about it?
Old Sep 24th 2017, 1:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BobbyN
Hi all, been awhile since i posted.

I am looking to apply for Citizenship but seems I can not progress online.

So far:

Feb 2012 - June 2013 - WHV
Oct 2014 - present - PR

So far under the 1460 days required but read something about a change that will come in effect soon.

1) when will this change come into effect which would mean I can apply for CZ
2) should i expect the online application to change soon as rules come into place?
1, The present Act requires 4 years of residency within 6 years, doesn't count pre PR time. So under the present Act, if you haven't left Canada, you would be eligible to apply Oct/2014
2. The new Act C-6 already passed, but the residency section not enacted, expected to be enacted this fall. Requires 3 years of residency in 5 years, and within those 5 years you can count 1 years worth of residence as a visitor/worker/student at 1/2 time. So you would be eligible once the residency section is enacted.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, The present Act requires 4 years of residency within 6 years, doesn't count pre PR time. So under the present Act, if you haven't left Canada, you would be eligible to apply Oct/2014
2. The new Act C-6 already passed, but the residency section not enacted, expected to be enacted this fall. Requires 3 years of residency in 5 years, and within those 5 years you can count 1 years worth of residence as a visitor/worker/student at 1/2 time. So you would be eligible once the residency section is enacted.

Thanks PMM

So really i just have to wait until the new act is acted upon and the website reflects this, guess i just need to check on a regular basis and hear out for this "activation"
Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is waiting for the new rules to kick in too. I expect there will be an influx of applications when it happens which might cause delays, but it's nice that he doesn't have to wait until next year to apply like we expected.