Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen & passport requirement to return to Canada

Dual Citizen & passport requirement to return to Canada

Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:01 am
Just Joined

candocanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizen & passport requirement to return to Canada

I'm Canadian born and bred, but left Canada 30 yrs ago for the UK.
I haven't lived there at all during that time just visited occasionally.

Just found out me and my kids may have to acquire Cdn Passports to visit there

Could someone verify if that is true or is that required only of dual citizens actually living in Canada. I haven't been home since 2015 and was shocked to find this out. Good thing I didn't book flight before reading the small print.

thanks in advance
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizen & passport requirement to return to Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by candocanuck

Could someone verify if that is true or is that required only of dual citizens actually living in Canada. I haven't been home since 2015 and was shocked to find this out. Good thing I didn't book flight before reading the small print.

thanks in advance
1. Yes you will need Canadian passports, as you and your children are citizens and not eligible for an ETA.
2. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response. So while attempting to board a flight to Canada with our UK passports, we would be refused, (despite paying tax and having lived there for decades/family there etc) but someone in the line behind me from anywhere in the world would be granted entry? Makes perfect sense. Canada has gone mad.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response. So while attempting to board a flight to Canada with our UK passports, we would be refused, (despite paying tax and having lived there for decades/family there etc) but someone in the line behind me from anywhere in the world would be granted entry? Makes perfect sense. Canada has gone mad.
No, someone behind you in the queue would need the appropriate visa and ETA.
The USA and Australia have similar rules - you must enter and leave on the passport of that country if you are a citizen.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Whether Canada has gone mad the jury is still out on that one.
You also have the choice of applying for ESTA and flying to the USA on your UK passports and then entering Canada via a land border crossing. There is no rule stating you have to leave Canada on a Canadian passport but you need one if flying into Canada. Other countries do it as well.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Lancastrian, yes I thought of that (Seattle) and drive up to the West Coast (heading for Kamloops) and have friends/family all along the way. Arse about face way of doing it though for me anyway. I'm going to have to get the passports. Just looking at the strict specs on their passport photos now! Argggh. Thanks for reaching out.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Snappy Snaps is the place to go for Canadian passport photos if you're in the UK.

https://www.snappysnaps.co.uk/passpo...sa-photos.html
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks in advance
If you are a Canadian Citizen, then yes, you will need a Canadian passport to fly into Canada, no matter how long you have been out of the country.

If your kids are Canadian Citizens i.e. with paperwork/card etc, then yes they will need Canadian Passports, however if they are UK Citizens since birth and you never applied to get them their Canadian documentation, thne they can fly on their UK Passports with an ETA. Friends of ours did this a few months ago, however we had our kids registered as Canadians and needed the Canadian passports.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshMyl
If your kids are Canadian Citizens i.e. with paperwork/card etc, then yes they will need Canadian Passports, however if they are UK Citizens since birth and you never applied to get them their Canadian documentation, thne they can fly on their UK Passports with an ETA. Friends of ours did this a few months ago, however we had our kids registered as Canadians and needed the Canadian passports.
Exactly what I did with my 'kids'. Now told them that when they come to visit, they will have to get a Canadian passport - queue the millennials standard moaning and groaning!
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. Getting pports organised for all of us (forking out the massive amt of money needed to get them all as well. This next trip to Canada is going to be an expensive one!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Getting pports organised for all of us (forking out the massive amt of money needed to get them all as well. This next trip to Canada is going to be an expensive one!
Just be prepared for a wait... they are so busy that it took 3mths for our son's to be renewed.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshMyl
Just be prepared for a wait... they are so busy that it took 3mths for our son's to be renewed.
Not sure about applying from overseas, mine came through in 8 days, not a rushed service or anything special.