Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card?

Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card?

Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card?

It depends on the visa office, how busy it is and how complex your application is ... Etc. You can't generalize. Ken is Australian; you were applying in the UK I think.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

The Mans an Animal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add to the point about giving them a mailing address. I made a landing trip a couple of weeks ago and had my mailing address ready to give them, but the question I was asked was "do you have anywhere to stay in Canada?".

At which point, due to this plus the fact I had a return ticket and had wrote on the customs card given to me on the plane I'll be in the country for 15 days, i couldn't really just give them the address so had to tell them I was doing a landing trip only to activate PR so was staying in hotels. The guy then gave me a 5456 form to fax to them "once I had arranged a place to stay" and let me through. A couple of days later I filled out the form with my mailing address, faxed it to them and rang them to confirm that my PR card was being processed.

All being well, I should receive the card by end of October but if it doesn't work out, I'll just go down the "fly to US and drive across the border" route when I go back next year.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mans an Animal
Just to add to the point about giving them a mailing address. I made a landing trip a couple of weeks ago and had my mailing address ready to give them, but the question I was asked was "do you have anywhere to stay in Canada?".

At which point, due to this plus the fact I had a return ticket and had wrote on the customs card given to me on the plane I'll be in the country for 15 days, i couldn't really just give them the address so had to tell them I was doing a landing trip only to activate PR so was staying in hotels. The guy then gave me a 5456 form to fax to them "once I had arranged a place to stay" and let me through. A couple of days later I filled out the form with my mailing address, faxed it to them and rang them to confirm that my PR card was being processed.

All being well, I should receive the card by end of October but if it doesn't work out, I'll just go down the "fly to US and drive across the border" route when I go back next year.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that technically put you in violation of ESTA since the rules of ESTA don't permit you to enter the US by air and leave by land/sea? I agree that it otherwise looks like the easiest option, especially since flights from the UK to New York/New Jersey often cost peanuts these days.

Has anybody ever looked at or used a re-mailing service for this? Presumably there must be some trustworthy and recognised companies that allow you to have a 'virtual' non-PO box address in Canada and will then forward mail overseas to you?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that technically put you in violation of ESTA since the rules of ESTA don't permit you to enter the US by air and leave by land/sea?
Nope - no such rule. You can leave the US by any means after flying into the US on ESTA. They do require that, on arrival, people without status in a neighbouring country possess a ticket to leave all of North America within 90 days, not only the US, but Canadian PRs have status in a neighbouring country, so are not subject to that rule.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-i...aiver-program/

Q: Do I have to enter and leave the United States by a participating carrier?
A: No. You are only required to enter the United States by a participating carrier. Your onward or return journey may be by any mode of transport, provided you hold a return or onward ticket.

(last clause of the above qualified by:
Q: What if I want to stay in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean?
A: If your ticket terminates in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean, you must be a legal resident of the area in order to qualify for visa free travel. If you are not and your stay will extend beyond 90 days from the date on which you first entered the United States, you will require a visa. Legal Permanent residents include diplomats, students or temporary workers at companies located in these areas.)
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Nope - no such rule. You can leave the US by any means after flying into the US on ESTA. They do require that, on arrival, people without status in a neighbouring country possess a ticket to leave all of North America within 90 days, not only the US, but Canadian PRs have status in a neighbouring country, so are not subject to that rule.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-i...aiver-program/

Q: Do I have to enter and leave the United States by a participating carrier?
A: No. You are only required to enter the United States by a participating carrier. Your onward or return journey may be by any mode of transport, provided you hold a return or onward ticket.

(last clause of the above qualified by:
Q: What if I want to stay in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean?
A: If your ticket terminates in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean, you must be a legal resident of the area in order to qualify for visa free travel. If you are not and your stay will extend beyond 90 days from the date on which you first entered the United States, you will require a visa. Legal Permanent residents include diplomats, students or temporary workers at companies located in these areas.)
Thanks that all makes perfect sense. Will the Canadians ever send PR cards to an address in the United States or does it always absolutely have to be a Canadian address?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks that all makes perfect sense. Will the Canadians ever send PR cards to an address in the United States or does it always absolutely have to be a Canadian address?
It has to be a Canadian address.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It has to be a Canadian address.
Damn, thought that might be the case.

In that case it seems like a re-mailing service or chancing your arm via America might be the way to go when you don't have a residence or family/very close friends in Canada.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone applied for a PRTD from the Canadian Embassy in London?
What document do you need to fill out in advance?
Do you have to book an appointment, if so how?
What evidence do you need to supply?
Passport, COPR etc
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the instruction guide?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Has anyone applied for a PRTD from the Canadian Embassy in London?
What document do you need to fill out in advance?
Do you have to book an appointment, if so how?
What evidence do you need to supply?
Passport, COPR etc

Found the following info......

If you wish to apply for a Travel Document you may submit your application in person or post the application to our office, Our office address is Canada Visa Application Centre 66 Wilson Street, London EC2A 2BT. Please note the processing time for a Travel Document is 5 days and you need to submit your passport, And after the processing of the application we do have the facility to send the passport back to you by courier. Please check these links for assistance Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - Contact Us http://vfsglobal.ca/Canada/UnitedKin..._document.html http://vfsglobal.ca/Canada/UnitedKin...eschedule.html

For further assistance, please visit our website Canada Visa Information - United Kingdom - Home Page or contact us on +44 (0) 203 7938 624. Our working hours are from Monday to Friday between 8.30 am-4pm.