British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/do-i-need-canada-pr-card-903264/)

KenA Sep 12th 2017 11:38 pm

Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card?

I am applying for immigration to Canada

my plan is as following,
once i get the PR visa, I will go to Canada for landing for one week, then go back to Australia to settle things up (it may take a while)

my question is to get the PR card, do I need to be in Canada at that time or the PR Visa itself is the card?
can I give them my address in Australia to send cards to?
can I give them a relative address in Canada to send cards to?

Vulcanoid Sep 12th 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Do I need to be in Canada for the PR card?

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12336929)
I am applying for immigration to Canada

my plan is as following,
once i get the PR visa, I will go to Canada for landing for one week, then go back to Australia to settle things up (it may take a while)

my question is to get the PR card, do I need to be in Canada at that time or the PR Visa itself is the card?

You can give any genuine address in Canada (ie a friend's address is fine, a PO box to check later is not).

They cannot be sent outside of Canada by IRCC.

Hurlabrick Sep 13th 2017 4:24 pm

Pretty much what Vulcanoid said....

When you land, you can 'activate' your CoPR. You can then either provide a Canadian address for them to send the PR Card to, OR you can defer this and apply for your PR Card at a later date (but must be within 1 year). Personally, I would (and have done) the former, not the latter.

Be careful not to 'confuse' the CBSA people with too much information. Just tell them 'my address in Canada is xxxxxxx' - don't get into 'I'm only here for a short time, this is a relatives address, etc. (but equally, if asked directly, tell the truth) - they have been known to say 'well then you can only apply for your PR Card when you have your own address'. The problem this gives you is that you will then need a 'one use' Permanent Residents Travel Document (PRTD) to fly back into Canada the next time as you will be classed as a permanent resident, so cannot apply for an ETA, but equally do not have a PR Card - so the airline won't let you board.

The Canadian address cannot be a PO Box number (but AIUI it can be a residential PO Box number, which is not at all uncommon in Canada - I have this).

Nope. No chance at all!

Yes, this is what we did. My buddy then couriered it to us in the UK when he got it (some 2.5 months later).

Engineer_abroad Sep 13th 2017 8:43 pm

Note, there have been some issues with people being denied boarding by airlines without an ETA or PR card (some airlines have not been accepting COPR paperwork which will be stapled into your passport when you land). As a PR you cannot obtain a new ETA so make sure the one you travel on this time will still be in date when you plan on returning or you may need to get a travel document.

Hurlabrick Sep 13th 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12337563)
Note, there have been some issues with people being denied boarding by airlines without an ETA or PR card (some airlines have not been accepting COPR paperwork which will be stapled into your passport when you land). As a PR you cannot obtain a new ETA so make sure the one you travel on this time will still be in date when you plan on returning or you may need to get a travel document.

Yep - that is exactly the problem. We were 'sweating' until we got the treasured PR Card! Didnt fancy the aggro of a PRTD!

KenA Sep 14th 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks guys.. much appreciated.. this is really help a lot.

KenA Sep 14th 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12337426)
The problem this gives you is that you will then need a 'one use' Permanent Residents Travel Document (PRTD) to fly back into Canada the next time as you will be classed as a permanent resident, so cannot apply for an ETA, but equally do not have a PR Card - so the airline won't let you board.

This is really confusing.
If I cant get ETA then how am I going to go back to Canada?
Can I ask my relative to mail me the PR card to Australia and then use it?
or shall I apply for ETA as Australian Citizen not as Canadian PR ( if that possible )?!!

Vulcanoid Sep 14th 2017 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12338422)
This is really confusing.
If I cant get ETA then how am I going to go back to Canada?
Can I ask my relative to mail me the PR card to Australia and then use it?
or shall I apply for ETA as Australian Citizen not as Canadian PR ( if that possible )?!!

Once you are a PR you are not eligible to have an eTA. The system will (should) refuse any effort you make to get one, because you are a PR. You must fly on your PR Card, or a PR Travel Document.

If your friends/family mail/courier you the card, you can fly on that, or you can apply for a PRTD to travel to Canada if you need to fly and don't have one. Or you can fly to the US, and cross the land border, where they can look up that you're a PR, and have the right of entry.

KenA Sep 14th 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks Vulcanoid
it sounds like complex process to travel from Canada before you get the PR card.

It seems that not many people doing that

Hurlabrick Sep 15th 2017 11:52 am

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12338429)
Thanks Vulcanoid
it sounds like complex process to travel from Canada before you get the PR card.

It seems that not many people doing that

It is! You need to either wait until you physically have the PR card itself, or apply for a PRTD (which is a PITA!!).

OR as an 'final fallback' fly to the US and drive across the border.

We waited for my buddy to courier us the PR card!

KenA Sep 17th 2017 11:42 pm

Do I have to apply for PRTD while I am in Canada, or I can do it after leaving Canada?

Hurlabrick Sep 17th 2017 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12340279)
Do I have to apply for PRTD while I am in Canada, or I can do it after leaving Canada?

If you want to go this route, you have to apply to the local visa office / embassy outside of Canada once you are back outside Canada.

KenA Sep 18th 2017 2:16 am

Do you have any idea how long does the PRTD need?

Hurlabrick Sep 18th 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12340327)

Depends on the visa office and degree of urgency. But days or maybe a couple of weeks, not months.

cheeky_monkey Sep 18th 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12340327)

You can a get a PRTD in 48 hrs if you apply in person and pick it up in person also.