Desperate for reply

Old Sep 29th 2006, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

LongLostLoves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperate for reply

am a citizen of Canada (born in england and emmigrated in 70's). Have been a citizen for over 20 years. My boyfriend is in United Kingdom - we wnt to get married and live in Canada. However, his divorce will take a while. We cannot wait years to be together (we're both getting on a bit - 40's and early 50's). He is going to come over here and live with me so we can arrange his divorce from here and hopefully apply to have him stay here permanently and work. We will try for this from the Canadian side as I am unable to move back to UK at present due to my child's schooling in canada.

He is going to purchase a return ticket to Toronto. If he purchases a return that is dated 5 months or so after his arrival date, will that raise eyebrows and possibly prevent him from being allowed entry? Is it best for hiim to get a normal (3 week) return ticket and just not go back after the 3 weeks and then apply for an extension of whatever VISA they give him when he first comes here?? If he doesn't return on his flight after 3 weeks, will immigration officials immediately start hunting for him, or is he allowed to stay for as long as his VISA is given for and apply for extension? Any idea on the likelihood of me sponsoring him from within Canada as a common-law spouse if he can manage to stay here for a year (even though for part of that time he will not have been divorced?)? As I said, time is running out for us, we'd like to be together as much as possible regardless if he can work or not. If he gets a cash paying part-time job and gets caught, will he get deported - even if we are living together? Can we get married inCanada (after his divorce) even though he's not a resident?

So many questions, I'm sorry - but I don't know who else to ask these things.

Thanks so much. If someone can give us some advice we would be so greatful. This has been a lifetime coming as we have only just now reunited after over 30 years apart - sort of a dream come true for both of us - and we're desperate to now spend as much time as possible together.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:32 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Desperate for reply

You can buy a ticket with return date 5 months later no problem. Immigration will just ask you why you are staying so long and might ask to see proof of funds to support yourself for that time. You could stay for 6 months as a visitor without a visa, then go back to England for a week and come for another six months in theory, but in practice they might not like it and might not let you do it.

I definitely wouldn't work under the table for cash if you want to apply for residency. If you get caught, your application is over. Having said that, a fair few people do it without getting caught. Personally I wouldn't take my chances because of the high price to pay if you do.

Good luck with everything.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for reply

These are just my understandings, you might be better off seeking professional advice from the likes of Andrew Miller but here goes

Originally Posted by LongLostLoves
am a citizen of Canada (born in england and emmigrated in 70's). Have been a citizen for over 20 years. My boyfriend is in United Kingdom - we wnt to get married and live in Canada. However, his divorce will take a while. We cannot wait years to be together (we're both getting on a bit - 40's and early 50's). He is going to come over here and live with me so we can arrange his divorce from here and hopefully apply to have him stay here permanently and work. We will try for this from the Canadian side as I am unable to move back to UK at present due to my child's schooling in canada.
He is going to purchase a return ticket to Toronto. If he purchases a return that is dated 5 months or so after his arrival date, will that raise eyebrows and possibly prevent him from being allowed entry? Is it best for hiim to get a normal (3 week) return ticket and just not go back after the 3 weeks and then apply for an extension of whatever VISA they give him when he first comes here?? If he doesn't return on his flight after 3 weeks, will immigration officials immediately start hunting for him, or is he allowed to stay for as long as his VISA is given for and apply for extension?
He will be allowed to stay for as long as the Immigration officer at the airport determines that he can stay, if nothing is stamped in his passport then he can stay for up to 6 months, before that entry period expires he can apply for an extension, just don't go beyond your permitted period of entry and go out of status. I understand that it is possible to normally get one extension to a visitor visa, but see posts by dbd33 for a possible exception to this.

Any idea on the likelihood of me sponsoring him from within Canada as a common-law spouse if he can manage to stay here for a year (even though for part of that time he will not have been divorced?)?
You can sponsor him only after you have been living together for 12 months in a conjucule relationship, you won't get visa extensions to allow you to do this though. You'll have to come up with anther plausible excuse for wanting the extension. Besides needing to live together for the continus 12 months period, you will still need to be together for the application process another 6 to 9 months.

As I said, time is running out for us, we'd like to be together as much as possible regardless if he can work or not. If he gets a cash paying part-time job and gets caught, will he get deported - even if we are living together?
Don't take any type of job, paid or unpaid, if caught, he will be deported and that would kill off any chance any getting a permeant visa for at least 5 years I believe.

Can we get married inCanada (after his divorce) even though he's not a resident?
Yes you can get married, but that will not give him any implied status in Canada, you will still have to sponsor him through the normal channels and meet all the residency requirements

So many questions, I'm sorry - but I don't know who else to ask these things.

Thanks so much. If someone can give us some advice we would be so greatful. This has been a lifetime coming as we have only just now reunited after over 30 years apart - sort of a dream come true for both of us - and we're desperate to now spend as much time as possible together.

Thanks.
As I said at the top, my answers are only my understanding after reading these forums for the last few years, seek professional advise.

Dozzzzy.