Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Definitely ok for kids to travel without Can passports?

Definitely ok for kids to travel without Can passports?

Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Definitely ok for kids to travel without Can passports?

Hi again all,

Just wanted to double check: We are planning on landing in June and have just booked one-way tickets with Canadian Affair. Our kids have British passports and will also have their Certificates of Canadian Citizenship... but no Canadian passports.

Do you think we will have any hassle from the airline when we go to board, being as they're one-way tickets? We're really hoping that their CCCs will suffice!

We could, of course, get their Canadian passports when their CCCs arrive, but if it's not necessary then we won't.

A few of your thoughts on this would be great - thanks!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

JoeHega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Definitely ok for kids to travel without Can passports?

Not in the same situation as you, I have no kids and I just have a TWP.

However, I've flown 1 way to Canada numerous times on my British passport and with several airlines. An airline has never asked why I have a one way flight, the only people who have ever asked is the UK Border Agency and they are usually very friendly and understanding if you have the right documentation. I've also found the people on this side at Immigration Canada to be really great, so I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by JoeHega; Mar 5th 2011 at 11:08 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any problem - especially if they have Canadian citizenship certificates. Why don't you ask the airline?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

When I spoke to someone at Canada House, I was told the kids and I needed to enter Canada on our Canadian passports if we were planning to stay. That's why she got their citizenship cards rushed.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:54 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
When I spoke to someone at Canada House, I was told the kids and I needed to enter Canada on our Canadian passports if we were planning to stay. That's why she got their citizenship cards rushed.
Don't understand.

If they can prove they are Canadian citizens how can they be refused departure on a one way ticket from the UK or entry into Canada?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Yes, Allie I remember you saying about this before, that's why I started this thread. I really want to make sure.

What james says above is exactly what I'm wondering too.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Don't understand.

If they can prove they are Canadian citizens how can they be refused departure on a one way ticket from the UK or entry into Canada?

I have no idea. When I called Canada House (actually I think I emailed and they called me back) and asked, I was told if we were entering Canada to stay, we had to use our Canadian passports. It might be one of those rules that depends on who you speak to and who you get when you get to Customs. I don't know why they would care, especially when you can otherwise prove you're a citizen.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

VW092906 is on a distinguished road

I have no idea. When I called Canada House (actually I think I emailed and they called me back) and asked, I was told if we were entering Canada to stay, we had to use our Canadian passports. It might be one of those rules that depends on who you speak to and who you get when you get to Customs. I don't know why they would care, especially when you can otherwise prove you're a citizen.
Mine was the same advice. I emailed and they phoned me back... and the lady told me to get her citizenship and then her passport.

BUT, I just flew into Canada with my daughter, all safe and sound on Thursday. all was fine. the lady at the check in counter for Bmi actually asked to see my daughters CCC when I told her she had one (not sure why) and I showed it to the immigration officer when we arrived in Canada (she didnt actually ask to see it, but I wasnt sure what to put down on the landing form for my daughters citizenship because she was traveling with her UK passport - we ended up writing "Canadian" on it, and she stamped her UK passport just to be thorough lol)

the only other difference in my plans though is that I bought a return ticket. the immigration lady never asked to see it though, but I told her I had it, and I was honest with her and told her I didnt actually plan on using it, it was just half the price of booking one way! to be honest her biggest issue with my entering Canada was that I told her I had packed baby fomula in my suitcase (milk product) and even then she let me keep it.

hope this helps.

Valentina
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

It depends on who you get at immigration and customs since they all seem to have their own ideas. The LAW however states that if you claim to be a Canadian citizen they MUST let you in and you have a time limit to come back with appropriate documents. They could get stroppy with you at the airport though before eventually letting you in but if you stick to your guns you will be alright in the end.

My two boys and I are Canadian citizens with expired Canadian passports and my wife had an expired PR Card. We got in just fine although they did grumble a bit until I asked to see the supervisor who said I was quite correct and who let us in at the end of it all with a verbal slap on the wrist not to do it again.

My mother in law also got in with no PR card though they read her the riot act LOL.

It just depends on who you get and whether they are bored enough to have a laugh at your expense or not.

Then again UK customs is exactly the same way. Try coming in through Glasgow as compared to e.g. London. Nightmare street if your papers are "not in order".
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Canada house does not know what they are talking about in this case. They are not border guards - their job focusses on other things and not the entry requirements of Canadians into Canada.

Last edited by bewillow; Mar 10th 2011 at 1:30 am.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your help on this one guys!

That confirms it for me now - I won't bother getting Canadian passports for the kids; they will (hopefully! ) land on their CCCs and UK passports. I don't see the point in them having 2 passports each when it's not essential!

Thanks again for the reassurance.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

One more thing to add.

For travel to the USA, the US says at http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html
Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.
So it appears the CCC is NOT valid for air travel to the US from Canada. This means a child who flies to the US would have to travel with their UK passport and so would have to pay the (STUPID!) ESTA Fee (the "Travel Promotion Act" of 2009) of USD14 every two years. ( http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...wp/faq_vwp.xml )

This effectively reduces the financial disincentive for getting a Canadian passport.