CSQ - Points required to meet

Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

heyram009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSQ - Points required to meet

Hi All,

I have attended the Quebec Selection Certificate(CSQ) interview in July, 2010 month in Paris and got 59 points after my interview. But I need to achieve 63 points to get my CSQ .
At the time of the interview, they evaluated my level of competence in French is level 1 (A1 or TEF1) was speaking and oral comprehension.
I will have to reach level 5 or submit a DELF or TCF B3 or TEFQ to get CSQ. I have been given one year to submit TEFQ certificate (Intermediate B1) to proof my French proficiency.

I have joined french course to achieve intermediate level B1 to get 4 more points.

But Now (In October), I have completed my 4 years experience (8 points). When I applied the CSQ, I got the 6 points for 3 years experience only.

Can I send my 4 years experience certificate to get 2 more points ? Is this possible after I submit the application. Does anyone have this experience?

I have seen some forum that, If I stay in Quebec for not less than 2 weeks and not more than 3 months, I can also gain 1 more points based on stay in Quebec

Can someone advise me on this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

andy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CSQ - Points required to meet

Originally Posted by heyram009
Hi All,

I have attended the Quebec Selection Certificate(CSQ) interview in July, 2010 month in Paris and got 59 points after my interview. But I need to achieve 63 points to get my CSQ .
At the time of the interview, they evaluated my level of competence in French is level 1 (A1 or TEF1) was speaking and oral comprehension.
I will have to reach level 5 or submit a DELF or TCF B3 or TEFQ to get CSQ. I have been given one year to submit TEFQ certificate (Intermediate B1) to proof my French proficiency.

I have joined french course to achieve intermediate level B1 to get 4 more points.

But Now (In October), I have completed my 4 years experience (8 points). When I applied the CSQ, I got the 6 points for 3 years experience only.

Can I send my 4 years experience certificate to get 2 more points ? Is this possible after I submit the application. Does anyone have this experience?

I have seen some forum that, If I stay in Quebec for not less than 2 weeks and not more than 3 months, I can also gain 1 more points based on stay in Quebec

Can someone advise me on this?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'm also applying through Quebec too. I have my interview in Paris next month.

From what you've said it sounds as if your level of French was the main problem. I honestly think they don't worry all that much about actual points if they feel you would be a good candidate and you are reasonably qualified. I think the moment you send them results of the new test of your French showing the minimum level they require you will get your CSQ in the mail.

I believe level B1 is the minimum they require on the whole - however I have not had to do this test as my degree is from France.

Having read a mountain of information on the Quebec programme for months now I believe they take into account the work experience you will have acquired since they interviewed you and you should get extra points - when you send the French scores through you should put your payslips and any other evidence of further work experience and I honestly think you'll get the CSQ in the post.

How was the interview?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

heyram009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andy for the information. Yes. Now I understand that Minimum french level is B1 to get CSQ. But I thought initially minimum french A1 is enough to get it .
Anyway I have to speak french once I landed in Quebec. So I am taking this opportunity to learn french as much as possible.

So, If anyone wants to apply CSQ, make sure that you are having at least B1 Level french or equal degree in french.

Please find my interview question in below link.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...view+questions

Best of luck for your interview.

Thanks.

Last edited by heyram009; Oct 8th 2010 at 8:05 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Quebec now. They said I needed B1 minimum and My Wife needed A2 as a minimum. I got my CSQ through Paris.

When I went to the interview they explained that a working knowledge of french was essential if I wanted to integrate. The interview was completely in french apart from one question.

Since coming here I have met people who have got in from other parts of the world and it was much easier for them.

One of my friends was given a script and told to just answer yes or no to the questions.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

amitbajwa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britsnake
I am in Quebec now. They said I needed B1 minimum and My Wife needed A2 as a minimum. I got my CSQ through Paris.

When I went to the interview they explained that a working knowledge of french was essential if I wanted to integrate. The interview was completely in french apart from one question.

Since coming here I have met people who have got in from other parts of the world and it was much easier for them.

One of my friends was given a script and told to just answer yes or no to the questions.
Thanks britsnake, I thought if you are the main applicant then your wife doesn't need to be fluent in French? Any way thanks for sharing your experience, I have now much better understanding about what level of French is expected.

Cheers,
Farzad
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife does not have to be fluent, but they expect her to have a basic level of french. She will still need to go shopping, buy tickets etc.

When I went for the interview my wife spoke no french at all. They asked her a few basic questions and she could not respond. They were scandalized by this and made it extremely clear that they expected her to learn.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Your wife does not have to be fluent, but they expect her to have a basic level of french. She will still need to go shopping, buy tickets etc.

When I went for the interview my wife spoke no french at all. They asked her a few basic questions and she could not respond. They were scandalized by this and made it extremely clear that they expected her to learn.
Thanks for guiding me and for all this useful information britsnake. I have already got myself enrolled in Alliance Francaise and will be attending their courses for next 6 to 8 months.

Quick one, B1 of (European Framework) is equitant to Level 3B of Alliance Francaise, can I show these levels (up to 3B hopefully) at the time of interview or do I need to pass the TEF exam ?

Regards,
Amit
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The interview is a way for them to assess your level of french. If you can answer all the questions a demonstrate the required level of competence you will be fine. The will probably ask you where you learned french if you can outline all the courses you took and the exams you passed, that will work in your favour.

Maybe you should check out if there is a place to do a DELF B1 exam near you as it is a bit cheaper than the TEF. But a TEF result will be more widely recognised for immigration purposes.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

The interview is a way for them to assess your level of french. If you can answer all the questions a demonstrate the required level of competence you will be fine. The will probably ask you where you learned french if you can outline all the courses you took and the exams you passed, that will work in your favour.

Maybe you should check out if there is a place to do a DELF B1 exam near you as it is a bit cheaper than the TEF. But a TEF result will be more widely recognised for immigration purposes.
That’s great !
Thanks again for your guidance and for your quick reply. I will take all my certificates from Alliance Francaise and will also try to pass the B1 test.
I hope you found Quebec a good place for work. Are the salaries there quite similar to UK ?

Cheers,
Farzad
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I found no problems finding work in Quebec. To srtart with, the salaries are not quite as good, but accomodation costs are lower, so it balances out.

The difficulty of finding work depends on the type of work you are looking for, some types are easier than others. They seem to value Quebec experience above everything else but once you get your first job, things become much easier.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

I found no problems finding work in Quebec. To srtart with, the salaries are not quite as good, but accomodation costs are lower, so it balances out.

The difficulty of finding work depends on the type of work you are looking for, some types are easier than others. They seem to value Quebec experience above everything else but once you get your first job, things become much easier.
Yeah, some of my friends also told me that the overall cost of living is lower (especially than UK) in Canada. I am an IT professional with 5 years of UK experience. My area of work falls in 2282 category of Quebec list of occupations, but I don’t know if that speeds up the application process.