Criminal back ground

Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

corli10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal back ground

Hi there I'm living in Canada on a temporary work visa and applying to permanent residency I do have criminal background 1991 grievous bodily harm sentence to 6 months,2004 dui 12 month ban fine 100 pounds,2005 damage to property fine 250 pounds with these convictions would this stop me from becoming a permanent resident of Canada considering the amount of time that has lapsed and no other convictions since I do have two children that are Canadian citizens would this help also as if I'm found that I can't stay I wouldn't get to see my children any advice welcome
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Criminal back ground

I reckon the GBH will prevent you from getting the PR.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DMajor
I reckon the GBH will prevent you from getting the PR.
Hi there even though it was 27years ago and in the UK it is classed as spent
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Did you go to prison?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by corli10
Hi there even though it was 27years ago and in the UK it is classed as spent
1. Immaterial that it is spent in the UK.
2. Note that you are probably inadmissible to Canada right now, as Assault Causing Bodily harm carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison. Person's who have been convicted of an offence abroad that they could have received 10 years imprisonment, cannot be deemed rehabilitated, and must apply for rehabilitation.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure there are more informed folk on here who can tell you more but if I remember when I did my PR they checked out all the places I'd lived (for more than 6 months) in order to see if I'd had any criminal convictions or time served in prison.

I was told at the time that had I spent any time in Jail then my application would be denied. Not 100% sure if this still applies and you may have a better chance as you have two Canadian citizen children.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi there can this be done from canada or would I have to return to the UK
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

You can apply for Canadian PR from both countries, I'm pretty sure.
Your best bet is to go and see an immigration lawyer to get definite answers to your questions.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

You're welcome - good luck..
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corli10
Hi there I'm living in Canada on a temporary work visa and applying to permanent residency I do have criminal background 1991 grievous bodily harm sentence to 6 months,2004 dui 12 month ban fine 100 pounds,2005 damage to property fine 250 pounds with these convictions would this stop me from becoming a permanent resident of Canada considering the amount of time that has lapsed and no other convictions since I do have two children that are Canadian citizens would this help also as if I'm found that I can't stay I wouldn't get to see my children any advice welcome
Suggest you check out the wiki page on how to choose an immigration lawyer / consultant here:

Immigration Consultants-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As PMM pointed out you should be applying for individual rehab 1st which will cost $1000. Once approved then apply for PR. If you do it the other way they should find you inadmissible.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-activity.html
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As PMM pointed out you should be applying for individual rehab 1st which will cost $1000. Once approved then apply for PR. If you do it the other way they should find you inadmissible.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-activity.html

+1
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused - if you're currently living in Canada then presumably you already have criminal rehab? So it shouldn't be an issue for your PR app.

But if you haven't got rehab (and therefore have entered Canada when criminally inadmissible), then a lawyer is definitely the way to go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.