Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Could we stay in Canada after my studies are over?

Could we stay in Canada after my studies are over?

Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:36 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could we stay in Canada after my studies are over?

Evening everyone,

So I'm currently studying in Kelowna,BC.About to start my second year of a diploma in Early Childhood Education.
My husband got an OWP and has worked full time since last August for a heating and cooling company. We are trying to find out if he can apply for EE via FSW whilst on the OWP.
If he could does he need a LMAI from his employer?
He has his regulated trade qualification for BC. There's also not enough skilled and qualified guys here to do the job as the company he works for are always trying to hire new people with no luck.
We hadn't really given it any thought up to now as we wanted to enjoy the two years as an experience and have the chance to live here and see how it went. I do realise that from CIC's point of view I should leave Canada once my studies are over, we just live it so much now that we don't want to go home if we can help it!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could we stay in Canada after my studies are over?

Are you eligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit once your studies are complete?

How long is your program of study and where is it?
Have you spoken to the institution to check if the program is eligible?

S
Old Aug 29th 2016, 3:57 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Are you eligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit once your studies are complete?

How long is your program of study and where is it?
Have you spoken to the institution to check if the program is eligible?

S
Hi snowy,

Yes my programne of study is 2 years and the programme is eligible. I study at Okanagan College.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:08 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK
Hi snowy,

Yes my programne of study is 2 years and the programme is eligible. I study at Okanagan College.
We were just researching the chance of my OH getting PR too incase he can start applying now.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK.
So obviously pursue the PR options but otherwise, if you are eligible, apply for a PGWP within 3 months of graduation and before your SP has expired. Once you have applied you have implied status as a worker and may work full time until the decision on your PGWP is made. You may well get a 3 year PGWP. Your husband can get an OWP once you are employed in a NOC 0, A, B position. Your husband will need to bear in mind the four cumulative duration rule but see the exceptions here:

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Cumulative duration (four-year maximum)

So no need to leave Canada when your studies are complete if all the above falls into place and you get a PGWP or even better, PR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../post-grad.asp

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 29th 2016 at 4:37 am.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We were just researching the chance of my OH getting PR too incase he can start applying now.
If he's able to get an LMIA that would greatly help with the points for EE (or Provincial Nomination).. and yes, he can apply but do make sure he's got enough points to give him a good chance of being invited to apply from the pool! With 1 years experience in a trade, he could also be eligible for the Canada Experience Class.. so check it out too!

Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:44 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Thanks for the replies, really helpful and much appreciated.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If he's able to get an LMIA that would greatly help with the points for EE (or Provincial Nomination).. and yes, he can apply but do make sure he's got enough points to give him a good chance of being invited to apply from the pool! With 1 years experience in a trade, he could also be eligible for the Canada Experience Class.. so check it out too!

Second that about CEC. It also has the advantage of not having to show proof of funds just ability to support yourself.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:06 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Wow that sounds great ND we've never heard of it. I've quickly looked on the info page for it and then it seems to link back into regular EE profile application. Maybe this could be the way! Thanks very much!!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

You still apply via EE but your ITA would note under which scheme you were being offered an invitation via.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:58 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Hi everyone,

So my husband just received a BC PNP email today. He has 87 points and hasee been invited to apply for PR. I got one too with 83 points. His employer wants to support his nomination and they are just starting the paperwork for LMIA but I've read on here the LMIA could take months, so should he just do the BC BNP application instead? Should he apply now or wait for the LMIA? Also would we need to show proof of funds for the BC PNP?
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

So my husband just received a BC PNP email today. He has 87 points and hasee been invited to apply for PR. I got one too with 83 points. His employer wants to support his nomination and they are just starting the paperwork for LMIA but I've read on here the LMIA could take months, so should he just do the BC BNP application instead? Should he apply now or wait for the LMIA? Also would we need to show proof of funds for the BC PNP?
If he's got nomination under the PNP, then there's no need for a LMIA! It's one or the other - LMIA OR PNP for the extra 600 points under EE, not both.

HTH.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:11 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If he's got nomination under the PNP, then there's no need for a LMIA! It's one or the other - LMIA OR PNP for the extra 600 points under EE, not both.

HTH.
Extremely helpful! Thank you Christmasoompa.I got an invitation too but I'm still on the study visa.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds really positive for you. Having visited Kelowna 2 weeks ago I completely understand why you would want to stay.

We hope to move in mid 2017 and Kelowna is currently top of the list - such an awesome place.

Very best of luck!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 7:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the Lower Mainland rather than Kelowna but I have many clients who are HVAC subcontractors. They all rate the lack of good, qualified, HVAC technicians as a significant limitation on the growth of their businesses. It is a trade with a future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.