Contacting CIC By Phone

Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

PaulH85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contacting CIC By Phone

Hi All

I've been trying to call CIC on 888-242-2100 for two weeks straight now and have had no luck at all. Go through the menus and then it just says they're busy and hangs up. I've called close to 50 times at various points during the day and it's the same every time.

I was just wondering if anyone's experiencing the same, has managed to get through recently, or knows of other ways to contact them? I've had no response via the web form either.

Long story short, I'm on IEC at the moment which ends January 1st. Had a PR application in progress via spousal sponsorship since March but that won't come through in time. I applied for a work permit in September but I'm still waiting on that and the processing times recently went through the roof. I'd like to think it's a simple question of them just advising what I can and can't do (done some research and gather I'll have to quit my job and apply for a visitor permit pretty quickly), but it'd be nice to just get to speak to someone so I can plan and do everything above board.

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contacting CIC By Phone

In all honesty, there's little point in speaking to the 'misinformation like' (as it's commonly known on here). It's manned by call centre staff with no immigration knowledge who frequently give out wrong info.

If you want expert advice, an immi lawyer is the place to go. Or just ask the forum for free! There usually somebody around that knows what they're talking about (including immi lawyers, CIC staff & a CBSA officer that all give their time on BE).

What work permit have you applied for?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

I see. Thanks. Whenever I've spoken to them before, I can't say I was especially impressed but I wouldn't have thought that they'd have no real knowledge of it all, seems kind of pointless and actually really bad for something so important.

I've applied for an open work permit. My understanding was that I couldn't apply for the bridging permit as I don't meet the criteria. I applied for the open work permit on September 12th and still waiting. Initially I would have expected it to come by now, give or take, but then recently the timescale shot up to 115 days so I might be looking at mid January, assuming it actually gets granted. If I don't have that by January 1st when my IEC ends, I gather I'll have to leave my job. I've got an application for a visitor permit ready to be paid for and sent if need by, I'd hope that wouldn't take more than a month from now to be granted.

I've done it all myself and I thought I was doing the right thing, with guidance along the way from CIC over the phone during the summer. Now I'm starting to feel like perhaps I've taken the wrong action, and of course like there's no real support from CIC these days...
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like you've done everything correctly. If you'd have paid a lawyer to do it for you, it wouldn't have been processed any faster - the processing times are what they are, regardless of if you submit yourself or if someone submits on your behalf. There's no "fast track".

You are correct that if your permit doesn't come through by the time your IEC expires then you'll have to stop working. Your company can hold your job for you (unpaid) until you get your paperwork through, so you don't have to explicitly LEAVE your job, but you cannot continue working until you get your new permit.

Feel free to ask further questions here, you'll get better info than the misinformation line!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Schnooks, sounds to me like you've done everything right and understood it all perfectly!

Good luck, hope you hear something soon.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

You know what, that actually means a lot for you to both say I’ve done the right things and understood it. Thank you both. It’s kind of a lonely process going through it all and logically it’s not something everyone automatically knows something about or can help with. I do feel I’ve actually learned a lot about the applications, about IEC, PR and work permits, what’s required on the forms and how best to go about it. That’s what’s angered me to hear that the helpline isn’t especially knowledgeable because I used to work as an advisor for unemployment benefits and I prided myself on my knowledge and on wanting to help people who couldn’t navigate the processes. To think they don’t take the same kind of approach with something like immigration is scary.

Anyway... guess I might have to face the music and have a chat with my boss next week. I only started my new job three months ago but I've passed probation and they trained me from scratch so I doubt they'd want to look for someone new and train them as well. If the work permit doesn't come through before January 1st, I'd like to think it might only be for a short time that month until it does, and hopefully work would be willing to keep me unpaid until then. But we never know, it might all work out nicely. I’d guess CIC and so on will shut down for Christmas until new year so I’ve got 16 working days for something to happen. Fingers crossed!

Am I right in saying that I'd be best to submit the visitor permit application now in case the work permit doesn't come by the time my IEC ends?

Last edited by PaulH85; Nov 30th 2017 at 7:59 pm.