Confusing Visa Issue!

Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice
Default Re: Confusing Visa Issue!

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Unsure as I say it's not something I knoe about - but from memory from people on here I THINK that it's activated once she gets to Canada and valid for a year from then.

Do check on the restrictions of this visa, I seem to recall you can't be common law and have one - or that may have been a BUNAC (a company that used to run this holiday visa thing) requirement.

Actually you know what - i'm stepping aside - I don't know enough about this!!!!!!
No problem, thanks a lot for your help, you've given me hope still!

I'm actually in Montreal at the moment, I went to look at LaSalle and Verdun tonight, they looked pretty run down from outside the Metro, are they? I leave at 3pm tomorrow, are there any areas I should look at to live before I go back?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:15 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toleero84
No problem, thanks a lot for your help, you've given me hope still!

I'm actually in Montreal at the moment, I went to look at LaSalle and Verdun tonight, they looked pretty run down from outside the Metro, are they? I leave at 3pm tomorrow, are there any areas I should look at to live before I go back?
lol I live in alberta so again this is a topic outside of my realm!!!!!

Post a thread in the Canada forum asking about it - you should get some replies from those in the know
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Had a quick look, this could be a good avenue to look at - if she got it now would she have to use it straight away?
It takes around 8 weeks to process from time of receipt.

There is a major thread about how to go about it here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700551

Under the new IEC rules you can apply even if you are common-law (which the OP isn't), but each person has to apply as an individual.

You do not have to use the visa on entry to Canada, you can go to the border and validate it at any point before expiry. The visa is valid for 1 year from date of issue, once it has been validated by CIC (at point of entry) it gives you a 1 year working holiday visa. You can apply for a 2nd year as well next year.

The forms to fill out are pretty easy. Click on the link on the last post I made, click on the link at the bottom of that web page to register your partners email address and your partner will receive the application pack.

More info on the thread in the forum!

Hope that helps.

Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice
Wink Re: Confusing Visa Issue!

Does it make any difference that I am going to be given an open work permit?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

to what?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How are you going to be given an open work permit? You should be on a Temporary Work Permit, which will tie you to your employer and is anything but 'open'!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:33 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How are you going to be given an open work permit? You should be on a Temporary Work Permit, which will tie you to your employer and is anything but 'open'!
oooh yes good point!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

I'll have to double check that, sorry!

Another thing that may throw some confusion into the mix, we did stay at her parents house quite a lot, I rented a room in the city I worked in and stayed over there every weekend, is that likely to qualify?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to double check that, sorry!

Another thing that may throw some confusion into the mix, we did stay at her parents house quite a lot, I rented a room in the city I worked in and stayed over there every weekend, is that likely to qualify?
Probably not. You have to show you've been living as 'husband and wife' and have combined your affairs - if you were living with her parents then I assume you won't have things like joint rental agreement or bills in both names? Which you would need to show for a common-law relationship.

Re: the work permit, I can't see how it would be an open one - if it's a company transfer then it's a standard Temporary Work Permit meaning that you are tied to your employer and cannot work for anybody else on it. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

And again, if it's 'normal' Temporary Work Permit then the same will apply.

HTH.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Probably not. You have to show you've been living as 'husband and wife' and have combined your affairs - if you were living with her parents then I assume you won't have things like joint rental agreement or bills in both names? Which you would need to show for a common-law relationship.

Re: the work permit, I can't see how it would be an open one - if it's a company transfer then it's a standard Temporary Work Permit meaning that you are tied to your employer and cannot work for anybody else on it. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

And again, if it's 'normal' Temporary Work Permit then the same will apply.

HTH.
Thanks for the help, I'll have to double check what my visa would be, but I'd be moving from the UK to a new employer who will be sorting my relocation out (They have their own relocation team).
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help, I'll have to double check what my visa would be, but I'd be moving from the UK to a new employer who will be sorting my relocation out (They have their own relocation team).
Quick question, if my girlfriend can't work in Canada, what salary would be enough to support 2 adults in Montreal? Sorry for bringing money up but this is a worry of mine..
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:01 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Quick question, if my girlfriend can't work in Canada, what salary would be enough to support 2 adults in Montreal? Sorry for bringing money up but this is a worry of mine..
can't say for any certainty, however many on the forums have said that you can't go far wrong if you equate the cost of living to that of Britain, so basically take what you earn in the UK - if you could cope on that then do your exchange rate thingy and see what your Canadian salary compares to.