Common Law Supporting Docs

Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common Law Supporting Docs

Hi all,

We've filled out the form (IMM5409) and have it countersigned by a solicitor. Have a few years worth of supporting docs that almost dates back to when we first moved in together, but not quite. Ultimately we still have 4+ years of evidence to show.

Do we include this evidence in the submission of the IMM5409 form (so it is all under the common law section of the profile), or would the evidence be put into the area for letters of explanations etc. So far I've put it all into one giant PDF with the 5409 form at the top, then the evidence docs following underneath.

The information says to provide evidence etc, so I assume I'm doing it correctly so far... just wanted to check.

Additionally, would 4 years of rental/mortgage/house sale be sufficient? Bundled in some car insurance docs that show both names, and few screenshots of our internet supplier which shows she pays but the account is in my name.

Thanks in advanced

@ Moderators - Wasn't sure if this should be added to my earlier post regarding putting all docs into one file - sorry for mutliple threads.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Apr 25th 2018 at 12:17 am.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Supporting Docs

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes

Additionally, would 4 years of rental/mortgage/house sale be sufficient? Bundled in some car insurance docs that show both names, and few screenshots of our internet supplier which shows she pays but the account is in my name.
This is good and the co-ownership in property is the big one here. The internet supply and utility bills are not as good as you have to show that it is genuinely common law relationship and not just house mates. Do you have any other financial documents, i.e. life insurance polices with each person names as the beneficiary? or similar?

I believe there is a wiki on evidence for this somewhere on the forum that someone will point you towards
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

We sold the property a year ago and moved in with my grandmother so we could actually save money... we weren't in a good position prior to the sale. Since we now live with my family, there are no utilities in our name, we only have the broadband supplier that hints towards 2 people.

We did think about adding me as a joint owner on her bank account, but since we've already begun the application, it might look suspect if I am added on now. Would also likely raise further questions on the proof of funds side since I made a transfer to her a month or 2 ago so we'd be able to meet the requirements at the end of this month. At the moment we can easily explain it as my savings being put in for the application and that it is now her money.

We used to have credit cards in both names up until a few months ago, we cleared those and closed them. All the letters were addressed to my partner in any event. Even the cat insurance is in one name and they are 'unable to change it', despite both of us being able to make changes to it.

I had a look at the wiki on the evidence side, it appears slightly outdated maybe. We have the IMM5409 form which gets endorsed by a 3rd party, in this case our old neighbour who is also a solicitor. I suppose I could also ask her to write a letter confirming our relationship is real as well, but feel that might be somewhat surplus since she's already pretty much done that.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Apr 25th 2018 at 4:52 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 3:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused - are you being sponsored under the spousal stream? If so, there's no proof of funds requirement.

Lots of info for proof of relationship:

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

Item 7: We don't have a lease or utilities with both our names on it. What do we do?
Item 7: What do they mean by proof of financial dependency?

How can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ide.html#forms - there is no mention of 5409

Have you checked the requirements for the declaration?

Item 7: What documents show that we are recognized as each other's spouse?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ationship.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 26th 2018 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Siouxie,

No we are going under EE skilled worker stream, but have to provide evidence that we are partners. It asks for the 5409 form and links to it directly in the document upload area. We supplied previous rental/mortgage agreements, and house sale documents alongside this.

For the last year though, there have been no bills in both names as we simply don't have any. She occassionally sends me money to buy things as I am presently out of work, but then that might raise further scrutiny on why I just sent her money to cover the POF side if we start highlighting that.

This is the document we filled in at cic request:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir...s/imm5409e.pdf

We have a few photos of us living together/out at places, but nothing that would scream 'these are dating'. May help reinforce the relationship, not sure?? I could take photos of what we live in now which clearly shows 1 bedroom and a sofa far too small to sleep on. 3 Cats, 2 in my name and 1 in hers. Shared wardrobe etc - basically a studio flat equivalent. Seems a bit over the top doing that though.

Edit: Have spoken to GP surgery as we are each others next of kins, so hopefully they will be able to write something that helps support us on the evidence side of things. Apparently something the Dr has to do, so waiting for a callback next week on that one.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Apr 26th 2018 at 3:49 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Hi Siouxie,

No we are going under EE skilled worker stream, but have to provide evidence that we are partners. It asks for the 5409 form and links to it directly in the document upload area. We supplied previous rental/mortgage agreements, and house sale documents alongside this.

For the last year though, there have been no bills in both names as we simply don't have any. She occassionally sends me money to buy things as I am presently out of work, but then that might raise further scrutiny on why I just sent her money to cover the POF side if we start highlighting that.

This is the document we filled in at cic request:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir...s/imm5409e.pdf

We have a few photos of us living together/out at places, but nothing that would scream 'these are dating'. May help reinforce the relationship, not sure?? I could take photos of what we live in now which clearly shows 1 bedroom and a sofa far too small to sleep on. 3 Cats, 2 in my name and 1 in hers. Shared wardrobe etc - basically a studio flat equivalent. Seems a bit over the top doing that though.

Edit: Have spoken to GP surgery as we are each others next of kins, so hopefully they will be able to write something that helps support us on the evidence side of things. Apparently something the Dr has to do, so waiting for a callback next week on that one.
Ah!! Apologies!! I got the wrong end of the stick lol. I would take notes from what CIC look for for supporting evidence of common law for spousal sponsorship and perhaps try to create a similar scenario.

Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

No worries And yup, taken note of the links you posted, gathered some more stuff accordingly.

I am round my parents this weekend where they'll be writing a supporting letter to re-affirm that we are together, as well as explain that we live in an annexed building at my grandmothers and (confirm again) that we won't have any utility bills in our name due to this. My grandmother can't write it since shes pretty much blind.

We've also got some joint pet ownership cards (Ragdoll cats are registered over here with GCCF so using those registration cards) that I'll be scanning in and including, along with insurance policy in both our names. Further evidence of joint asset ownership with the car, where I've paid garage for repairs. Hopefully these will suffice, don't have much else to give that will cover the last year.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Apr 26th 2018 at 10:08 pm.