Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law sponsor - General application - Dependants?

Common Law sponsor - General application - Dependants?

Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

LizLon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law sponsor - General application - Dependants?

Hi!

Sorry me again...

On the general application to filled out by the main applicant (my partner - whom I am sponsoring) who actually goes on the dependants section?

I am assuming our daughter - but does he have to put me on there since I am a family member and all family members need to be added? But I am not his dependant as I am sponsoring him, so he is my dependant?

I must be getting old if I'm getting confused by things like this!

Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law sponsor - General application - Dependants?

Can you give us a form and question number so that we know exactly which you're asking about? And is your daughter a Canadian citizen or are you sponsoring her too?
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can you give us a form and question number so that we know exactly which you're asking about? And is your daughter a Canadian citizen or are you sponsoring her too?
Sorry!

It's the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM0008ENU_2D) to be filled out by the main applicant.

There isn't a question number - it's just the section where you have to add dependents.

Our daughter is a British born Canadian with a certificate of Canadian citizenship so she is not being sponsored. She is listed as MY dependant on another form I have filled in... so I'm not sure if she is also my partners' dependant...?

Also as the sponsor I shouldn't be listed as his dependant? But I was under the impression that all family members need to be listed on this form?

Thanks again! I promise when this is all done, I will be a pro and answer as many questions in the future as I can!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizLon
It's the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM0008ENU_2D) to be filled out by the main applicant.

There isn't a question number - it's just the section where you have to add dependents.

Our daughter is a British born Canadian with a certificate of Canadian citizenship so she is not being sponsored. She is listed as MY dependant on another form I have filled in... so I'm not sure if she is also my partners' dependant...?

Also as the sponsor I shouldn't be listed as his dependant? But I was under the impression that all family members need to be listed on this form?
OK, so as per the downloadable guide to that form, and the FAQ on this forum (Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki) she shouldn't be included on that form.

Ditto to you, as you are also a Canadian citizen - above mentioned guide on the CIC website "Note: Remember that all questions in this section are about your dependant. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or Canadian citizens."

Your daughter does however, need to be included on IMM5406.

HTH.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so as per the guide to that form, and the FAQ on this forum (Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki) she shouldn't be included on that form.

Ditto to you, as you are also a Canadian citizen (from the downloadable guide for IMM008 on the CIC website "Note: Remember that all questions in this section are about your dependant. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or Canadian citizens."

IMM5406 needs to include all of you.

HTH.
Thank you. I knew I was being a numpty. I even printed it without either of us on it and then doubted myself and couldn't find the specific guide to it all again.

I will owe you a pint when we get to Canada!