Common-Law Question - UK-Canada

Old Jul 21st 2015, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common-Law Question - UK-Canada

Hi All,

Quick question in regards to common law,

I am originally from the UK and i have been living in Canada for the past 2.5 years, i'm returning back to the UK and my girlfriend has always wanted to see the UK and so will be returning with me (She is a dual national so will be working in the UK also)

Am i right in thinking that if we live together in an apartment and everything is shared, that after a year we can apply for common-law and i would then be eligible for PR here in Canada? even though we are residing in the UK?

I know she wants to return to Canada eventually but with me not able to get any form of work permit, this would work out perfectly. I could activate PR when we/if we come back? (Providing nothing goes wrong along the way :/ )
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common-Law Question - UK-Canada

Yes, that's absolutely right - you don't need to be living in Canada to qualify as common-law, it can be anywhere in the world.

So if you live together as man and wife in the UK and make sure you've got plenty of proof as that (shared bill, joint bank account, insurance/wills naming each other as beneficiaries etc), then she could apply to sponsor you for PR once that year is up. It would then take a further 8-10 months or so (going on current timelines, although of course they could change between now and then) for you to get PR, so factor in about 2 years in total in the UK if you want to return to Canada as a PR.

Best of luck.