Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common law - Proof of relationship Notarized forms

Common law - Proof of relationship Notarized forms

Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:21 am
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law - Proof of relationship Notarized forms

Hi all,

We are gathering together our forms for sending in for common law and I read on the spousal sponsorship FAQ thing that people get letters from friends notarized as supporting documents for their application. Is this required in every case as I couldn't find anything about it on CIC when I was reading up on it?

Thanks for the help
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law - Proof of relationship Notarized forms

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi all,

We are gathering together our forms for sending in for common law and I read on the spousal sponsorship FAQ thing that people get letters from friends notarized as supporting documents for their application. Is this required in every case as I couldn't find anything about it on CIC when I was reading up on it?

Thanks for the help
The (appears to be) current version of that form (IMM5589, October 2017) requirement is that, as one option from a choose-two-of-three list

"Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media
information showing a public relationship, etc.)."

This used to be letters of support, of which at least two had to be notarized.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:01 am
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
The (appears to be) current version of that form (IMM5589, October 2017) requirement is that, as one option from a choose-two-of-three list

"Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media
information showing a public relationship, etc.)."

This used to be letters of support, of which at least two had to be notarized.
Okay thanks. I assumed that is where it was referring to. I was wondering too what its meaning when it says
Important documents for you and your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's common-law partner (such as employment or insurance benefits)

Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.

Where it says at least two of the following is it meaning two of all three different types of thing or just two out of the three? Because we don't really have anything official as common law partner's like employment or insurance benefits. And im unsure on what it means by evidence of financial support.

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Okay thanks. I assumed that is where it was referring to. I was wondering too what its meaning when it says
Important documents for you and your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's common-law partner (such as employment or insurance benefits)

Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.

Where it says at least two of the following is it meaning two of all three different types of thing or just two out of the three? Because we don't really have anything official as common law partner's like employment or insurance benefits. And im unsure on what it means by evidence of financial support.

Thanks
You might find the FAQ in our Wiki article helpful

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:42 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might find the FAQ in our Wiki article helpful

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki
Thanks I hadn’t seen that on it before so must have just missed it. So I guess bank statements with proof of transfers would be good to use?