Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common in law new format questions

Common in law new format questions

Old Jan 12th 2017, 2:54 am
Just Joined

KSeel89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common in law new format questions

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying for PR via Spousal sponsorship (My Canadian Girlfriend as my sponsor) we have lived together over a year so I know I qualify. I'm on a TWP until September 21st of this year, I'm hoping to get the forms in by the end of the month at the latest, only questions or guidance I need is what I need or don't need in terms of forms. According to CIC website the new change to forms only shows the Sponsor has to fill out 2 forms (+ rep form if using) and the Applicant has to fill out 4 forms (+ rep form if using) however on some forms like the family background it states at the top of the form that both the Applicant and sponsor should fill out separate forms, is this true with the new format?

Also I'm going to get a family member from both my side and her side to write letters stating they know we are in a relationship etc to back up my application, do I need to get a notary to also sign a letter if I do?

Other than that I think I have/can get everything I need to submit. Also because my TWP runs out in September would you advise I apply for an Open permit now? Or just wait until August if I haven't heard anything on the PR application by then to apply?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common in law new format questions

Originally Posted by KSeel89
According to CIC website the new change to forms only shows the Sponsor has to fill out 2 forms (+ rep form if using) and the Applicant has to fill out 4 forms (+ rep form if using) however on some forms like the family background it states at the top of the form that both the Applicant and sponsor should fill out separate forms, is this true with the new format?

Have you had a look at the appropriate IMM checklist for the PA's country, for example IMM5533 for the new process pack? This is very nicely laid out and clearly indicates what forms and additional documents are required of the sponsor, the principal applicant AND both. The sections are:

- SPONSOR
- SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT)
- BOTH THE SPONSOR AND PRINCIPAL APPLICANT

So for example, for 'BOTH' there is IMM5532 and IMM5476 (if applicable)

Also I'm going to get a family member from both my side and her side to write letters stating they know we are in a relationship etc to back up my application, do I need to get a notary to also sign a letter if I do?
Not unless it specifically states this in any checklist or guidance notes

Also because my TWP runs out in September would you advise I apply for an Open permit now? Or just wait until August if I haven't heard anything on the PR application by then to apply?

Dunno, I am sure someone else will have words of wisdom on this....
Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:14 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to Hurl's points. Go by what's on the checklists, that's the clearest and most straight-forward way to know what forms are required and for whom.

Re: OWP - are you applying inland or outland? The OWP isn't even a consideration if you are wanting to do outland instead of inland. Read the wiki article to see the differences between the two methods. If you decide to apply inland then you might as well complete the OWP as it's unlikely you'll have PR by the time your TWP ends. If you apply outland then there's no OWP option. (but there are other pros and cons to consider so read the wiki article and decide what works for you!)
Old Jan 12th 2017, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

KSeel89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys

Yea with the new process it labels everything fairly nicely, I just had a concern with the actual forms, at the very top they state differently to the checklist and process, I'll just go off the checklist, sounds the best way

In terms of OWP i'm applying inland so looks like I'll be best applying for one to go with it. Probably easier than applying for provincial nomination to get an extension to my TWP..

Thanks again, appreciate the assistance