Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship (and time spent out of country)

Citizenship (and time spent out of country)

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:12 am
N

Dear Experts,

I will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship on in May of this year. When I
counted the number of days that I have been away from the country, it came to 48 days on
personal travels and 55 days as an airline crewmember. The total of 103 days in a three
year period.

I have a few questions:

Will days spent out of Canada as an airline crewmember count as time away from Canada for
citizenship eligibility purposes?

If so, will I have to wait for 103 past May 31, 2001 to establish my 1095 days of physical
presence in Canada?

Do I have to include every single exit and entry into the country as an operating crew?

Someone has mentioned to me a "grace period" of 90 days. Supposedly if you are shot of 90
days to your 1095 day requirement, this grace period will still make you eligible for
citizenship (provided your absences were short).

When the Citizenship office counts the days you've been away, do they include in that the
day you returned back to the country? Lets say, If you left on January 1 and returned on
January 10, what would be the total number of days that you'll have been away for
Citizenship application purposes? Depends how you count it could be 10, 9 or 8!

Thanks a lot of your insight!

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:03 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

You must have at least three years of residency in Canada within four years immediately
preceding the date of application. The rule requires that you are physically present in
Canada for 1,095 days in a four year period.

If you do not have the required days of residence, you may be granted citizenship pursuant
to section 5(3) of the Citizenship Act, where the Minister of Citizenship exercises her
discretion to waive the residency requirement on compassionate grounds.

A citizenship judge will recommend a waiver where there is evidence that the immigrant has
established residence in Canada, and has maintained residence in Canada, notwithstanding a
physical absence, where the person has settled into or maintained or centralized his or
her ordinary mode of living with its accessories in social relations, interests and
conveniences in Canada.

For more information on Canadian citizenship go to
http://www.webimmigration.com/citizen.html

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> Dear Experts,
>
> I will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship on in May of this
year.
> When I counted the number of days that I have been away from the country,
it
> came to 48 days on personal travels and 55 days as an airline crewmember. The total of
> 103 days in a three year period.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> Will days spent out of Canada as an airline crewmember count as time away from Canada
> for citizenship eligibility purposes?
>
> If so, will I have to wait for 103 past May 31, 2001 to establish my 1095 days of
> physical presence in Canada?
>
> Do I have to include every single exit and entry into the country as an operating crew?
>
> Someone has mentioned to me a "grace period" of 90 days. Supposedly if you are shot of
> 90 days to your 1095 day requirement, this grace period will still make you eligible for
> citizenship (provided your absences were
short).
>
> When the Citizenship office counts the days you've been away, do they include in that
> the day you returned back to the country? Lets say, If you left on January 1 and
> returned on January 10, what would be the total
number
> of days that you'll have been away for Citizenship application purposes? Depends how you
> count it could be 10, 9 or 8!
>
> Thanks a lot of your insight!
>
>

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:41 pm
Serguei Patchkovskii

: You must have at least three years of residency in Canada within four years immediately
: preceding the date of application. The rule requires that you are physically present in
: Canada for 1,095 days in a four year period.

As has been pointed in this newsgroup many times, current citizenship law does NOT require
1095 days of physical presence - it merely requires 1095 days of residence, which, under
the current law, does not necessarily implies physical presence.

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/