Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application - Various Questions

Citizenship Application - Various Questions

Old Oct 6th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Citizenship Application - Various Questions

Hi all,

So with the rules about to change, we'll be eligible to apply for citizenship :-)

To that end, I'm in the process of filling out the current application form, gathering all the documents currently requested and noting details of all the trips we've had since first coming here. While I realise some things will change, I figure this gives me a head start as I don't expect drastic changes so hopefully I can then just copy/paste most things and be able to send off the application asap.

I just have a few questions I was hoping someone could clarify, please. Again, I realise this is all based off the current forms but I expect all of these questions should then transfer over to the new forms, so I thought I'd get them out the way now :-)

1. Blank Fields - do I fill in anything at all (e.g. N/A), or just leave totally blank? For example, 3B on the main application form asks about current name, if different from 3A. In my case, it isn't different so I don't have anything to put here. Do I therefore just leave it blank, or put something like N/A in there to make it clear it was intentionally not filled in? There are plenty of other fields like this, but just checking. I remember the PR application usually having boxes where you could tick 'No' (i.e. I don't have another name), and then you leave the section below blank. This is just a bit different as there isn't an indicator. From what I can see, it'd make most sense to leave blank, but just checking.

2. Copies of documents - Some things say photocopy, some things say copy (e.g. for marriage certificate in case of name change). Should these be blank & white, or colour? Or it doesn't matter? It looks like the one thing I didn't previously scan in colour was the IELTS results and I know we sent the original. I honestly can't remember right now if we got the original returned to us, so just in case I don't have it, I'm wondering if the black and white copy is sufficient? Same question for all documents, though.

3. Travel Documents - 6D on the application asks for the biographical pages of passports and travel documents. I'm assuming my PR card doesn't count as a travel document (it doesn't let me travel, just lets me back into Canada after travelling)?

4. Language Results - We have IELTS (done for our PR application in 2013) and also degree & transcripts. I've heard of people occasionally being refused on the basis of their transcript for no obvious reason, so I'll definitely be including IELTS. Would it be worth us including IELTS, degree and transcripts? I appreciate that it says pick one, but the form actually lets you tick more than one option. My gut was to include them all, as extra information is surely better than less. If they don't need it, they can ignore whatever one they want, but it saves them refusing. What do you think?

5. Photos - From what I can tell, citizenship photos appear to be identical to Canadian passport photos, except it doesn't appear to ask for anyone else (other than the photo provider) to sign to agree it is you. Do people find it easiest to just tell the shop that you want passport photos, or do they actually know about citizenship ones?

6. Can anyone else think of any major changes that are worth me preparing for? Like I said, I've prepared travel dates from temporary work permit time as the new rules will obviously need that as well. I'm assuming I'll get to just feed them into an online system as it is just now, but that it'll be updated. But I don't imagine any other big changes that I can reasonably prepare for in advance, but was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help! Excited to be applying soon. It is exactly 5 years to the day since we officially moved to Canada :-)

Graham.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application - Various Questions

From the Guide
Be complete and accurate

Complete all sections. If a section does not apply to you, write “Not Applicable” or “NA”. If your application is incomplete it may be returned to you and this will delay the processing of your application.

If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it along with your application.

Application for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(1) – Adults 18 years of age and older (CIT 0002)
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From the Guide
Be complete and accurate

Complete all sections. If a section does not apply to you, write “Not Applicable” or “NA”. If your application is incomplete it may be returned to you and this will delay the processing of your application.

If you need more space for any section, print out an additional page containing the appropriate section, complete it and submit it along with your application.

Application for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(1) – Adults 18 years of age and older (CIT 0002)
Thanks! And yep - my apologies on this question. I actually spotted that after posting, but hadn't had a chance to retract that question. Sorry!

Interestingly, that section says: “Not Applicable” or “NA”.
Whereas the reminders section further down says: You have answered all questions on the form or wrote “N/A” (Not applicable) for any question or section that is not applicable to you.

The difference being NA vs N/A. Not that it'd make a difference, but just found the inconsistency interesting.

My other questions still stand. Don't think I've found answers to them yet...

Graham.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Question 2 Most people use black and white copies as they are easier to scan.

Question 3 Is usually the Passport or Emergency Passport. Other types of travel document e.g. Refugee Travel Document, A laissez-passer, a permanent resident travel document would not normally be submitted or held as they usually are for one time use.

Question 4 No idea

Question 5 Print off the photo spec sheet and give it to the photo place let them figure it out
Citizenship application photograph specifications
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much!

Are there any other particular areas you think might change (other than residency requirements) in terms of the application? Just trying to think ahead and see if there's anything else worth preparing for.

I was looking at options for sending it via courier. Interestingly, fedex, etc. seems to be 2 days to get it out to Sydney, regardless (I'm based in the GTA). So if the new forms come out Wednesday 11th, then I spend that day finalising and checking, etc. and then send on the Thursday, it wouldn't get there till the Monday. It does say you can call them to see if there's anything faster, but all the ones they show online are 2 days to get out to there.

Question 2 Most people use black and white copies as they are easier to scan.
Ok, so black and white is perfectly acceptable regardless of whether it says 'copy' or 'photocopy'? Just want to make sure I don't get it returned for something silly. Looks like my only one in black and white is the IELTS scan. I forget whether I got the original back after the PR application. It's not where I'd expect it to be, so I'm assuming not, but I can't remember.

Question 3 Is usually the Passport or Emergency Passport. Other types of travel document e.g. Refugee Travel Document, A laissez-passer, a permanent resident travel document would not normally be submitted or held as they usually are for one time use.
Ok, so just passports in our case then. That's what I thought.

Question 4 No idea
The jury is still out then :-) I'll likely just submit IELTS, degree & transcripts as I can't imagine they'll complain at getting them all! Hopefully that's enough proof.

Question 5 Print off the photo spec sheet and give it to the photo place let them figure it out
Citizenship application photograph specifications
Good plan - will do that.

Thanks!

Graham.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sometimes people forget to read the document checklist that also has answers on it

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...CIT0007E-2.pdf
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

The website says they are updating the forms on October 11 as well as the rules.

Citizenship requirements for physical presence, language and knowledge will change on October 11. You can apply for citizenship under the new rules using updated forms available October 11.

Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1)
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Allie73
The website says they are updating the forms on October 11 as well as the rules.

Citizenship requirements for physical presence, language and knowledge will change on October 11. You can apply for citizenship under the new rules using updated forms available October 11.

Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1)
Thanks.

Yep, just trying to be as prepared as I possibly can to get a head start. I'm hoping nothing drastic changes, such as requiring everyone to get a new ielts done! Will just do as much as I can just now, and then hopefully everything is relatively straightforward to copy over to new forms etc on the 11th and there's no major surprises.

We shall see!

Graham