Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Hi,

Just wondering if somebody could shed some light on the following questions as per the Adult - Application Form - CIT0002E-2 (OCT 2017)

15a) Did you successfully complete LINC or CLIC Courses etc?

I never did these so I take it I can leave this blank or does it have to be marked as NO?

The SUCCESSFUL part is what threw me. Marking this as NO instead of leaving it blank could indicate failure.

17c - Quebec's Permanent list of electors

This does not apply to me as I do not live there, so I should be able to leave it blank? Not as bad, as I can simply mark it NO with zero consequence.

Some of these may seem really obvious but I have read and heard about rejected applications etc due to seemingly ambiguous questions of this nature.

Admittedly the forms have gotten easier. Would be nice if they provide examples. For instance, info for tables that do not apply to an applicant having N/A written instead of being left blank.

The Inst. guide says there are examples above as per Step 4 section 4 but I cannot see these.

Thanks to whoever can advise.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat123; Oct 13th 2017 at 7:28 am.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Originally Posted by cjo1983
Hi,

Just wondering if somebody could shed some light on the following questions as per the Adult - Application Form - CIT0002E-2 (OCT 2017)

15a) Did you successfully complete LINC or CLIC Courses etc?

I never did these so I take it I can leave this blank or does it have to be marked as NO?

The SUCCESSFUL part is what threw me. Marking this as NO instead of leaving it blank could indicate failure.
As you said, the instruction guide isn't 100% clear here.

However, I decided the best bet was to check 'No' as that's still true. Leaving it blank would potentially be seen as missing the question entirely, and therefore not completing the application. You have presumably checked 'Yes' to the box above saying you do have proof of English or French, so that should be satisfactory.

17c - Quebec's Permanent list of electors

This does not apply to me as I do not live there, so I should be able to leave it blank? Not as bad, as I can simply mark it NO with zero consequence.
I decided to click the 'No' option here. Same thought process as you, but figured I may as well go for 'No' instead of leaving it blank.

I think either would be fine.

Some of these may seem really obvious but I have read and heard about rejected applications etc due to seemingly ambiguous questions of this nature.

Admittedly the forms have gotten easier. Would be nice if they provide examples. For instance, info for tables that do not apply to an applicant having N/A written instead of being left blank.

The Inst. guide says there are examples above as per Step 4 section 4 but I cannot see these.

Thanks to whoever can advise.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Appreciate the quick response. Good to see you had a similar train of thought.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Question Re: Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

14a - TABLE A - Place of Issue (Column)

The Instruction guide defines country (self-explanatory) and then has issuing authority there too. In this case IPS.

Place is defined as a city or town.

I called the Passport office and they can provide the issuing office for £10 (Data protection).

Would PLACE simply be the same as the country of issue?
In this case the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat123; Oct 13th 2017 at 4:31 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

14a - TABLE A - Place of Issue (Column)

The Instruction guide defines country (self-explanatory) and then has issuing authority there too. In this case IPS.

Place is defined as a city or town.

I called the Passport office and they can provide the issuing office for £10 (Data protection).

Would PLACE simply be the same as the country of issue?
In this case the UK.

Thanks in advance.
Yep, I wasn't 100% on this one either, given UK passports seem to list things differently than Canadian/American ones.

I went for 'United Kingdom' for country and 'UK IPS' (or 'UK PA' in the case of my old one) for place of issue. I then opted to put a simple explanation in the box below (the one used for explaining any gaps) to say that UK passports don't list a city/town of issue, or something like that.

I didn't actually realise you could call and the town of issue. However, given it won't list that town on your passport bio page photocopy, I wouldn't think it's worth worrying about.

I'm sure either will be fine. As long as you have the main details, and the copy of it, all will be good I'd expect.

Graham.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Question Re: Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Thanks again Graham.

Will mark the PLACE as UK IPS too. I will leave the box below blank.

Question 6 (list all names you have ever used) can be seen as ambiguous too because it lists first given name only, yet the earlier sections list given name(s). This does not apply to me but it does apply to my wife. We are changing the family name only.

We want her married name to appear on the certificate, not the one on the immigration document.
In this case the PR card therefore is it both first and middle name or just her first as per the table column heading?

Again, I am sure they can put two and two together but you never know.

P.S. Last question hopefully.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Graham.

Will mark the PLACE as UK IPS too. I will leave the box below blank.
Yea, I'm quite sure that will be fine too. I think the column is more geared towards countries that list the city, and I'm sure we won't be the first UK passports they've ever dealt with I just decided to add that little explanation.

Question 6 (list all names you have ever used) can be seen as ambiguous too because it lists first given name only, yet the earlier sections list given name(s). This does not apply to me but it does apply to my wife. We are changing the family name only.

We want her married name to appear on the certificate, not the one on the immigration document.
In this case the PR card therefore is it both first and middle name or just her first as per the table column heading?

Again, I am sure they can put two and two together but you never know.

P.S. Last question hopefully.
Yea, I've seen a lot of confusion over this question on other forums, lol.

We did this for my wife, and put her full name (including middle). While she was in the exact same scenario as your wife, it is possible that someone may change their middle name and if they didn't give their full name, you wouldn't even see the change. I personally think the safest is giving the full name.

No problem with the questions. As long as you understand they're all just my opinion, lol.

Graham.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:52 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Citizenship Application Form - October 2017

Yep.. it's a mystery why nobody thoght to actually read through the form before publishing it.
In this case I'm going to tick the box, because that will be true, include CIT0177, sign and date it and to attach the form with the following handwritten note at top. "N/A included as explicitly requested by Q9c on CIT0002"
This is not the only issue with this form.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dave, sorry I made it confusing by deleting my post! I found I had another question so started another topic. I hadn't thought of doing it the way you suggested, that does sound like it might be a good solution because I don't like the idea of ticking 'no' to that question because it's not correct!

Out of interest did you leave Canada after getting PR on a date that was prior to your eligibility period? We did and I'm not sure what date to use in the calculator - the date they gave me or the date we actually left. I think I'm going to use the date we actually left....

You're right, they really need to think these forms through better!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Mac with the latest Adobe PDF update but its not accepting the download application link. In fact its just showing blank - anyone else with this problem or is it just me broken down on the technology highway?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:19 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Out of interest did you leave Canada after getting PR on a date that was prior to your eligibility period? We did and I'm not sure what date to use in the calculator - the date they gave me or the date we actually left. I think I'm going to use the date we actually left....
No. We had visited a number of times before PR, so it was simply returning to the UK a number of times.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Just wondering if I can get feedback/opinions on question 14 a)

Application form asks "Have you held travel documents and or passports during your eligibility period?"

Instruction guide states - "Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your “eligibility period”.

Did you simply put your passport info down or did you put your PR card info down too?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 6:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just wondering if I can get feedback/opinions on question 14 a)

Application form asks "Have you held travel documents and or passports during your eligibility period?"

Instruction guide states - "Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your “eligibility period”.

Did you simply put your passport info down or did you put your PR card info down too?
1. Just the passport, the PR card is not a travel document.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

A travel document in this context refers to a document refugees or former refugees can get from a country like Canada when they don't have a passport and they need to travel.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 21st 2017 at 3:37 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorftrottel
I have a Mac with the latest Adobe PDF update but its not accepting the download application link. In fact its just showing blank - anyone else with this problem or is it just me broken down on the technology highway?
just save file on the download then open Adobe. therefore open the file from Adobe. good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.