Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application - Change of name (?)

Citizenship Application - Change of name (?)

Old Dec 14th 2017, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Citizenship Application - Change of name (?)

Hello All,
It's been a while since i was here, but now i find myself with questions when it comes to my citizenship application.

Now, those familiar with PR cards/COPR will recall that there is only a certain number of spaces for characters in your given names, so in my case the e from my middle name is missed off. It is spelled correctly on things like my BC driving license, my UK passport.

On the citizenship application, section 4 requires your name as it is on most recent immigration doc, which would be missing the last letter.
Section 5 asks about legally changed name and if this is the name you wish to use for the citizenship appl.
I never legally/officially changed my name, as there was no need, my drivers license was copied off my UK license for the correct spelling, so i have no legal document showing an official name change, but i would want my application to be based on the correct and full spelling.

Anyone run into the scenario? What did you do?

I've tried calling the helpline, but they are so busy it wont even put me in the waitline for an agent.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Pip
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application - Change of name (?)

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hello All,
It's been a while since i was here, but now i find myself with questions when it comes to my citizenship application.

Now, those familiar with PR cards/COPR will recall that there is only a certain number of spaces for characters in your given names, so in my case the e from my middle name is missed off. It is spelled correctly on things like my BC driving license, my UK passport.

On the citizenship application, section 4 requires your name as it is on most recent immigration doc, which would be missing the last letter.
Section 5 asks about legally changed name and if this is the name you wish to use for the citizenship appl.
I never legally/officially changed my name, as there was no need, my drivers license was copied off my UK license for the correct spelling, so i have no legal document showing an official name change, but i would want my application to be based on the correct and full spelling.

Anyone run into the scenario? What did you do?

I've tried calling the helpline, but they are so busy it wont even put me in the waitline for an agent.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Pip
I would fill out the application with a note attached basically stating that your name was spelled correctly on your COPR but due to the character limitation on a PR card the e is missing but does appear on the COPR form.
There has been no legal change name.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Thank you. This citizenship application is by far the hardest of those i've done! Appreciate your advice!
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

My first PRC was issued at the time when there was a 15 letter/spaces maximum for PRCs. Now it is 26 or something (cannot recall)

My name had 16 including spaces so the last letter was missed off my middle name. BC would only issue my DL with the truncated name and I hated it because nothing matched.

I was able to verify that IRCC had my full name on its records so when I applied for my new PRC I asked if it would use my name in full as it could print more letters on the new design.

My Citizenship app was therefore straightforward in this regard because timing meant I applied after I'd received the new PRC.

My COPR shows the truncated version.

I suspect your case is similar to mine and if you explain in a letter it will be okay. However, you could try going into one of the larger settlement agencies and explain you are stressed about this. They might look you up on their systems and be able to reassure you.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 14th 2017 at 11:32 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ben had exactly the same issue. the last letter of his middle name is gone.
As i recall we just filled in the long version on the " name you'd like on your citizenship cert."

it was all fine